How to tag email sign up source on Shopify to sync to Shopsync (Mailchimp)

Lizzie_Mathews
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi All,

Does anyone know how we can tag subscribers who sign up during the checkout process?

Here's the issue we're facing:

Email sign ups on Shopify come from two places: 1) The footer of the website (tagged by Shopify as 'newsletter'). 2) During the checkout process.

We are using ShopSync for our Mailchimp account. We send different versions of our welcome emails depending on whether they are customers or just subscribers.

We were originally using the new sign up in Mailchimp as the trigger for the emails, with conditions that look for an order to determine if they should receive the non-purchaser version or not. However, what we were finding was that purchasers were still receiving this email because the email collection happens before the customer has purchased. The email gets triggered when the email address arrives in Mailchimp, and usually sends before the customer has even finished the purchase. 

To get around this, all I could do to identify those purchasers to exclude them from the non-purchaser welcome email, was to exclude the opt in source 'shopsync' (with the condition 'AND opt-in source is NOT shopsync'. However, that means those who sign up through the footer of the website have also been excluded. Although these contacts are tagged 'newsletter' I can't just select on that because I am using the ALL criteria, which means the contacts have to meet all the conditions (AND rather than OR). And I have a few other conditions that the subscribers have to meet. The ideal would be that most of the criteria uses AND logic, but we were able to add an 'OR subscriber is tagged newsletter at the end. But not possible with Mailchimp's limited segmentation options.

So, what I need instead is a way of tagging the subscriber when they opt-in during the checkout process, so I can use this tag to exclude purchasers from the non-purchaser email instead. (i.e. AND contact is NOT tagged checkout subscriber). It has to be based on the source of their sign up (checkout), rather than tagging after the purchase has happened. Is this possible?

I know that it's possible for WooCommerce sites, as I have a client who uses WooCommerce for Mailchimp, and subscribers are tagged differently depending on where they signed up on the site. So, I feel like it should be possible in Shopify. Can anyone help?

Replies 3 (3)

aamirk
Shopify Partner
20 1 4

Hi @Lizzie_Mathews

Our app, Auto Tags (https://apps.shopify.com/tag-automation) can help you segment customers and works well with the ShopSync connector.

Lizzie_Mathews
Visitor
2 0 1

Sounds good. Does your app do specifically what I need it to? i.e. tag an email sign up in the checkout process (and before they've actually completed the order)?

I think the customer opts into marketing on the first page of the checkout and once they've submitted that page, the email address comes into Mailchimp via ShopSync. So, at that point I would need the customer record tagged; rather than once they've placed the order.

Is that possible?

samc
Excursionist
32 1 25

Hi,

It seems to me what you want is for Mailchimp to delay on sending welcome email after X time and then check if the person has made purchase or not to send purchaser vs non-purchaser email. Is it possible to set up a "delay" condition in Mailchimp automation and then check for order status after the delay before deciding which email to send?

Also I believe Mailchimp allows you to mix OR and AND conditions? 

samc_0-1614741085253.png

he issue with ShopSync I believe is when user goes through checkout, a customer is created on Mailchimp automatically so even if customer does eventually goes through with the purchase, there will be a "lag" in between.

Alternatively, another solution is not relying on Shop Sync to create customer on Mailchimp. You can try using an automation tool we built (https://apps.shopify.com/shypyard) which has integration with Mailchimp. We can help set up the logic where customer is created on Mailchimp with a delay after they go through checkout. This way when the contact is in Mailchimp, you can safely assume if he is a purchaser or not (which would be abandoned checkout).