How to upgrade to Google Analytics 4?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6

Hi everyone,

I've just heard about GA4 and it sounds good.

I've just created a new property, but wonder how I implement it in my Shopify store?

Or will the existing account connection provide the new tracking ID?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 10

I am also trying to implement Google Analytics 4 on my store. Since I don't have Shopify Plus I can't edit checkout.liquid, so ideally we would have an update to the integrated Google Analytics feature in Online Store Preferences.

Highlighted
2 0 5

I contacted Shopify support a few days ago and am still waiting on a response. Ideally they would have rolled an integration out in tandem with GA4 -- especially since we're in Q4 now. 

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6
I hoped maybe they had done that - and because of the account level
integration, no changes would be necessary by admins.

Kind of expected Shopify would be a launch partner for a big revision of GA.
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Following. Wondering this myself.

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 3

Implementing GA4 is quite simple - just copy the GA4 tracking code into theme.liquid right after the <head> tag. That's it.

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6
I would have to pay more to edit my theme code.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 3

You just need to add a couple of lines to the theme.liquid file. You can do it just fine on your own in one minutes.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6
Sorry, I was unclear. I have an old Shopify plan where I pay less per month
but can't edit the theme. I'd have to upgrade my account permanently in
order to manually install GA4.

I'm going Shopify will support GA4 in time for the holiday season.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 10

If you don't have Shopify Plus you can't edit checkout.liquid, meaning you can't track cart conversion statistics. That's why Shopify offers an integrated solution. But they haven't updated it in a long time it would seem. It's possible to fire the GA4 tag by adding it in the Additional Lines of Code under Google Analytics Settings in Online Store Preferences, but you can't take advantage of enhanced ecommerce tracking.