How to upgrade to Google Analytics 4?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6
Right, that's exactly what I was thinking, but was hoping someone could
confirm.

C'mon Shopify. Surely your many thousands of paying users should get GA4?

Could someone from Shopify perhaps give us a timeline, so we know what
to expect?

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 5

I agree that the basic implementation is easy, but the features of enhanced e-commerce are now obsolete. They changed how their events are named. In order to have enhanced e-commerce data with GA4 you need to update the data layer with all of the new events. 

What I'm hoping for is a Shopify update to have this done automatically like their current enhanced e-commerce option. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
39 1 8

Google [provides instructions](https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/9744165?hl=en&utm_id=ad) for both upgrading existing GA accounts and configuring new accounts for Google Analytics v 4. The wizard _cannot_ transfer data using existing tags from Shopify due to the existing Shopify/GA configuration.

After upgrading to GA 4, a new tag must be installed manually in the Shopify theme. This tag includes the Measurement ID and is similar to the Tracking ID. It should look similar to this and should be pasted just before the </head> closing tag, generally in the theme.js file:

<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Analytics -->
<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-MEASUREMENT-ID"></script>
<script>
window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}
gtag('js', new Date());

gtag('config', 'G-MEASUREMENT-ID');
</script>

After installing, go to the site to check that it's installed. Google Analytics should pickup the tag event quickly in the Realtime section. No ecommerce transaction data available yet. 

ecomloop
We help uncommon businesses succeed in the digital economy
Have an interesting project? Send a message or visit ecomloop.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6

Thanks for the response, but I don't have the option to edit my theme.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
39 1 8
I wasn't aware there's a Shopify plan that restricts access to the theme
editor. What plan is that?
ecomloop
We help uncommon businesses succeed in the digital economy
Have an interesting project? Send a message or visit ecomloop.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6
It's an old plan, I was grandfathered in with many others.
0 Likes
Highlighted

I have not done a full Analytics 4 setup yet, but reading Google's docs, Shopify's universal analytics should function just fine with it. According to Google's upgrade guide:

Now that you have set up your Google Analytics 4 property, you need to tag your site (with the global site tag, gtag.js). You won't replace the tagging that already exists for your Universal Analytics property, instead you'll add to it. So, data will flow to both your Universal Analytics property and your Google Analytics 4 property.

Note that Shopify uses analytics.js (not gtag.js for it's existing universal analytics property), so you can confirm the final steps to upgrade by following this: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/9310895#analyticsjs

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 10

None of the solutions recommended by "Shopify Partners" are adequate. Shopify needs to upgrade the integrated Google Analytics module. I know how to paste the tracking snippet into theme.liquid. That is wholly insufficient. And I'm not going to upgrade to Shopify Plus just so I can edit checkout.liquid. Shopify is an ecommerce platform. What good are analytics without ecommerce data? I don't care who comes to my website, I care who converts. 

Highlighted
1 0 6

Shopify Ecommerce tracking is based on analytics.js Enhanced Ecommerce and is passed into Google Analytics web property via native Shopify integration. 

GA4 Ecommerce tracking is a completely different library, and I don't think it would work with the existing integration Shopify has. 

Very surprised that Shopify didn't at least come out with a statement informing their community that they are working on this issue... 

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6

Yeah, I was hoping someone from Shopify would just let us know when GA4 will be fully supported.

0 Likes