How to upgrade to Google Analytics 4?

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 3

Agreed. I asked Support chat yesterday but they didn't seem to fully understand what I was talking about. I do hope that Shopify is not beginning to view their own Analytics as a viable alternative.

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6

It's a shame that a Shopify rep hasn't commented on this thread to let us all know if/when/how GA4 will be supported.

Guess we just have to wait and hope that it comes eventually.

Knowing Shopify though, it'll be a while. Usually, they make an announcement months before the feature is available, and they haven't said a word yet (as far as I can tell).

Highlighted
3 0 0

@andrew_ecomloop Thx for the instructions.  If I already have Google Analytics (not GA4 version) installed, do I add the GA4 script in addition to my existing GA script, or does it have to replace existing script?  I have current script installed via the Online Store / Preferences / Google Analytics.  I want to make sure I don't lose tracking in the current GA property until I get more familiar w/ GA4.  thx

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 10

I just had a support chat with Shopify about support in the store preferences for Google Analytics 4. The date is October 30, 2020. Although the rep was super kind, they basically said, "Right now we support Universal Analytics and I don't have any public information to share about Shopify's support for GA4." Then they kindly authenticated me and told me they would send my feedback and suggestion to their development team.

I did thank them BUT I also let them know that implementation of GA4 doesn't seem like something that the Shopify team should need feedback about. It should just be, "Hey guys, GA4 is coming out. I guess we have to adjust our code base to allow for this...like now." You're the leading e-commerce platform in the world. People build e-commerce stores using your technology, and those people need to be able to track analytics. Google Analytics is the worldwide standard tool for this.

Unfortunately, right now it seems like they are saying, "Yeah, we know GA4 came out and any new domains will be using it by default, but we're not sure if or when we'll support it." I'm sure they will eventually but just seems like a really big ball to drop on Shopify's part.

Highlighted
2 0 10

Hi everyone,

So the support person at Shopify that I worked with earlier today (10/30/20) reached back out to let me know that there is an option WHEN CREATING A PROPERTY to choose to create both a GA4 property AND a UA property. You have to make sure you click advanced in order to reveal this option while creating the property. At that point, it literally creates two properties for the website you entered in: one with the UA code and one with the new GA4 code, though they both have the same property name. At that point, you can still get the compatible UA-id that Shopify accepts.

Then, when Shopify implements an update for GA4, you can just update your code. At least this method allows you to still get google analytics started for any of your new shopify sites.

unnamed.png

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Following this thread. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Thanks for clarity. 

For additional clarity for those a little less familiar, and if needed, please correct me.

You are currently able to add the GA4 tracking code into your theme.liquid file, but since the checkout process is hosted with Shopify, (unless you are on Plus) the code will not fire on any checkout pages (making itself quite useless for e-commerce) until addressed by Shopify. 

You can link an existing UA property to a new GA4 one. This allows for the continued data collection from your UA property setup but also allows you to start getting the limited data you can into GA4, better setting you up for success when/if Shopify addresses the update. 

Highlighted
1 0 0

Perfect answer !

Thank you for your help

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi there, 

Did you received any news about that?

kind regards

0 Likes
Highlighted