How to upgrade to Google Analytics 4?

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Hi guys 

From yesterday onwards I have started seeing Shopify pushing GA4 datalayer in some of the sites. Is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks

Niteshshopify-datalayer.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

How did you install the tag?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I was just able to achieve the same result but I had to integrate some pretty funny dataLayer JS into the theme files... Were you able to do this another way?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi there, 

Glad there is a thread related with GA4. 

I'm not sure if I missing something but I'll try to put context in order to be as clear as possible. 

A) My shopify is not premium is the the basic one

• The implementation approach where I manage to gather dataLayer information is:
  1. Online store > preferencias > paste the tag of Google Analytics (UA-xxx) it is gtag.js
  2. Implemented GTM incorporating the tag in the header (theme.liquid) in the layout file.
    • I used a Google Analtyics event tag in order to send the dataLayer

The reason for this approach is that it seems that if I don't have the preamium account I'm not able to editing the checkout process so GTM will not be able to get fired. So the cookie will not be able to pass across different domains etc...

B) 1st attempt to upgrade to GA4: 

• In order to familiarize with the new data model:
  1. Created a brand new property of GA4. These implementation support 2 tags that could be used with GTM
  • I implemented the basic one (measuring page_view etc...) and I saw data in GA4, but of course this is not the right approach because I will face the same problem described before. 

2. I connected the tag from my UA and I implemented the custom dimensions that now are automatically converted to "paramethers" in this new data schema, but I'm not seeing any data. 

I'm not sure what I'm missing, but because I'm not opened the store yet I will try to navigate through the store in order to send data to GA and see if it works. 

If some of you guys see something incorrect don't hesitate in correct me. 

Kind regards.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@nesh007 What you screenshot is likely referring to Shopify's Google Shopping app given the AW ID the event is being sent to. What matters is the analytics setup first and foremost. analytics.js is still being loaded left, right, and center without gtag.js.

We naturally have an appeal to new things. The "rush" to get on GA4 is over-rated. The majority of stores even if they could get setup on Google Analytics 4 would not see a smidgen of improvement or better insight from the added capability of app tracking.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

@Josh_Uebergang - You are right here. Shopify analytics expert Brad from www.getelevar.com pointed this to me last time. Google Ads has been using the GA4 object structure since early 2019. Google Advises GA4 to be tracked in parallel. I think the best we can have custom datalayer implemented. 

Nitesh

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 1 1

This is an accepted solution.

@Josh_Uebergang what you say makes sense, but if analytics is using analytics.js and if we want adwords tracking on the site, that's using gtag.js, don't we have dual google implementations? and wouldn't that cause problems? see attached image

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 5.08.36 PM.png

We saw our bounce rate cut in half (suspiciously) and some GA events stop flowing in, which always leads me to believe there's a GA implementation problem. We cannot backtrack it to any changes we made on our site (non-plus). The events that ARE able to flow in are on the checkout pages, so I'm wondering if gtag.js is blocking them from getting tracked on the rest of the site (since gtag.js is not in our checkout, it's not blocking the events there?)

These errors we're experiencing just happen to coincide with the prevalence of GA4 and google pushing us to update, so it's all part of my investigation. 

1 Like
Highlighted

Your problem is likely elsewhere rather than anything to do with blaming GA4.

Sudden drops in bounce rates are typically due to events firing that are treated as an interactionhit. See the dynamic remarketing section in my Google Shopping for Shopify book for an example of how to solve this. You need non_interaction to be set to true. It's a value that can be set to false for things like a video play where someone genuinely engages with the page, and hence, them leaving shouldn't be constituted a bounce.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
Highlighted

Google Analytics 3 (Universal Analytics) will continue serving Shopify stores for years come. I remember the transition between 1-2 and 2-3. It's likely; most people will be using Google Analytics 3 for years to arrive until after Google enforces the adoption of new analytics features.

We're paying close attention to when Shopify upgrades to Google Analytics 4! However, there is no prominent call-to-action for Shopify upgrade if it's not being discontinued. This means it would put ecommerce stores at a disadvantage of not having access to Google Machine Learning to highlight critical trends inside your sales and marketing growth.

Shopify Marketing Tutorials https://youtube.com/c/zimamedia
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
I believe I found the solution!!! (at least for new shopify users) I created a new property and clicked the advanced solution as someone above mentioned but instead of doing JUST UA I did both GA4 and UA. This will make the name: 'property name _ UA Tag (UA-XXXXXXX-X)'. Then you want to go to data streams then you want to go to web details from there scroll to click connected site tags. Click here and there's the UA code. 

I used the GA4 global site tag for the javascript prompt in Shopify! Took me a while to find it but eventually did it! Thanks all for the little nuggets!! Now when Shopify updates to GA4 we're already set up. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 5.38.55 PM.png
0 Likes