How to write effective title tags without getting spammy?

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Everyone!

I am developing a new site and I would like to write the best possible title tags.  I have a number of similar products so specifying what the product is in the title tags seems benifical, but I don't want to raise any red flags by doing this improperly.  For example if I have 50 fine arts prints and lets say 35 of them are wildlife photography how do I effectivly specify the item without getting spammy?

I have been writing my title tags in a specific structure starting with a description of the photo and a phrase like "art print", "wildlife photography" "fine arts photography" and so forth; then including the name of the artwork in quotes.  (the names of these peices are not searchable terms in most cases).   I do use the phrases to describe what is being sold, ie "fine arts photography" ect more than once, though I am trying to vary them as much as possible.  With a large colelction of work there are only so many ways one can describe a fine arts print.  Could this be considdered spammy?  If so how do I effectivly market these prodcuts?  

Feel free to take a look, the site is new so I still have a long way to but the photography section is well underway. 

https://jenibenos.com/collections/wildlife-photography?page=1

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.  Thanks!

-Jeni

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
60 0 5

Hello Jeni!

Congratulations on launching your shop! Being a photographer myself I know what a step this is and how much work goes into curating collections, looking great so far!

It's wonderful you are thinking about SEO and how tags etc... affect this. If you want to include a category before the title I'd keep these consistent so either by using "Wildlife Photography" or "Fine art Print" in front of unique titles or simply leave the product with unique title only. You can include the words photography, wildlife etc.. in your product description and meta description for SEO purposes. I would not worry about spam as each page is unique with different content and text, the goal is to not overuse keywords in a title to come off "spammy".

I found some great resources for you to better understand how this all works:

Beautiful photography Jeni, love the jewelry pieces as well. Keep up the great work! :)

-Jen

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Format i have found to work best for title is "Primary Key Word - Secondary Key Word | Brief Description". You can use the same for Meta Description also. Make sure your firt paragraph on the content page has key words from Meta Description.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Jenny, keep in mind that if you use quotation marks within your meta tags, Google will truncate them at the first quotation mark.  This means you will lose the name of the piece, and it will be truncated down to just art print, which will make all of your art print category pieces have the same title.

In other words, Google will see Art Print - "Mountain Scene" and Art Print - "Beach Scene" both as only Art Print -

To avoid this, either use single quotes, or the html code for quotation marks (which is ") instead of quotation marks.

Such as: Art Print - 'Mountain Scene' or Art Print - "Mountain Scene"

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
17 0 2

Hi Jeni,

I would look at my work and have different categories of the painting and then have them grouped under the appropriate categories. I think tags will also kind of work in the similar fashion. And it's not spammy, as all paintings are different and you are not putting the same painting on many other blogs.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thank you all for so much great advise!  I'll be making some revisions soon.  

& Chuck, I had no idea and never would have guessed that quotes would be a problem. Big thanks on that one.

0 Likes