I just saw one of my websites has a rather strange meta description, see below:
This is what is set up in the admin in Shopify:
There are some SEO apps but these are all for product pages/images, see below list of apps
When I view the page source, the same meta data appears as in the shopify admin. Does anyone know where this is coming from and how to fix it? https://outdoorconcepts.co.nz/
Thanks so much!
Solved! Go to the solution
Google is picking up the img alt tag on one of your products on the home page:
Your meta description looks fine in the source code and when doing an index check, Google is indexing the description correctly:
First thing to try is going into Google Search Console and click on URL Inspection and make sure there are no issues. Then click the Request Reindexing and wait a few days and see if the issue is corrected. Let me know if this does not fix this and I can do a bit more digging.
hi @stevelam Thanks for replying. I have done a recrawl before but nothing has happened, and when doing the URL inspection I get below. Would be amazing if you have some time to do some more digging. Thank you so much!
I believe that you 2 meta description. First is meta description of your whole page as default and second are the under of the specific page. Unfortunately, your the search result read the 1st meta description has indexed by Search Engine. So your 1st Meta Description is your default for SEO. You have to configure properly to read properly the meta description of each page.
Hi @FP thanks for your message. I'm not sure I'm following you completely. Where is this 2nd meta description found? We've had this website for years and haven't changed much lately, yet this happened all of a sudden. I've resubmitted the site multiple times, what else can I do to configure properly?
This message in Google Search Console means you entered a URL that does not match the domain you are logged in to user in GSC. Did you double check the account you are accessing in GSC? Can you send a screenshot that includes more of the page and the error in GSC?
hi @stevelam it worked today!
I've requested indexing so I'll keep an eye out over the next couple of days for a change.
However I got below mentions when I checked the URL, is there anything I can already do now to change this?
thanks so much for taking a look, really appreciate it!
No need to worry about that error. This is a schema check for having proper product data easily exposed for search crawlers to consume and understand details of the content. Since this is not a product page and is your homepage, it is not as critical to have this updated.
There is a chance the Online Rewards is causing issues because it is showing a blank meta description within your code, but it is in an iframe, so it shouldn't have an impact - but something to try if this re-indexing request doesn't work.
Let's wait and see how Google responds to the recrawl request, then go from there.
Let me know if you see any changes.
|an hour ago|
|4 hours ago|
|13 hours ago|
|15 hours ago|
|16 hours ago|