Incorrect Meta Data

Solved

@stevelam  thank you! we'll see if this works and otherwise we can take off the reward app for a while to see if it's that.

Thanks, keep u posted!

0 Likes

The 2nd meta description will be found in the specific page.

@Infratech_Digit wrote:

Hi @FP thanks for your message. I'm not sure I'm following you completely. Where is this 2nd meta description found? We've had this website for years and haven't changed much lately, yet this happened all of a sudden. I've resubmitted the site multiple times, what else can I do to configure properly?

Thank you! 

0 Likes

Success.

Google reindexed the home page and the same meta description is showing. Looking at this more, I don't think this is a technical issue, I think it is contextual issue. Google is pulling the description from the content that it this is most relevant for the search query.

For instance, when you search for "outdoor concept australia" Google shows your description, because you mention Australia in the description:

2019-11-20_2130.png

But when you search for "outdoor concepts new zealand" Google is pulling the content from the page that it thinks is most relevant, which happens to be the alt img tag on a product image. 

2019-11-20_2132.png

It is not uncommon for Google to display a page title or meta description that is different than what is set on the page, based on what Google thinks is more relevant to the query.

Since this site is on the .co.nz domain, do you want to be targeting Australia or New Zealand? You can update the meta description to include other keywords you think could trigger a search like New Zealand (look at the search query report in Google Search console). Also, make your description about 160 characters so it does not get cutoff when it displays on Google.

Side note, you should also add more content to the body of the home page to give more for Google to consume besides just product images. Also, there are 2 H1s (one for 'featured collections' and one for 'Outdoor Concepts is Austrailia's..."). You should remove the H1 on the 'featured collection' heading)

Hope that helps!

Steve

Steve | @ PromoPrep
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
---------------------------------------------------------------
Digital Marketer & Web Analyst
If you are looking for a better way to manage and plan your promotions, check out PromoPrep.com
0 Likes
Excursionist
24 1 5

"update alt-text with template INFRATECH SL40 4KW HEATER BLACK SHADOW | Outdoor Heating NZ | Infratech NZ | | Outdoor Concepts NZ"

Found this in the source code of your website but the same thing is already mentioned above. and I checked that the new meta description of the home page is crawled on 19th Nov. So I think your issue is solved.

let us know if we can help you with other queries in future :)

0 Likes

Hi @stevelam Thank you for your explanation, all makes a lot more sense! 

I've added "NZ" in the meta description, changed 1 h1 title to an h2, and added a blog section too. Would this be considered content? Or do you reckon it just needs a bit more written content in a section on the homepage?

I've re-indexed and submitted the sitemap, hopefully we'll have some luck in a couple of days!

Thanks so much again!

0 Likes

I'm not seeing the updates on your homepage. Did they get pushed live?

2019-11-25_2103.png

Also, I am now seeing 14 H1 tags - did something else get changed that updated the H1s?

2019-11-25_2106.png

Steve

Steve | @ PromoPrep
If you are looking for a better way to manage and plan your promotions, check out PromoPrep.com
0 Likes

hi @stevelam thanks for having another look! I placed the blog section below the featured collection (this title is now a lot smaller) and the instagram section at the bottom. Other than changing the h1 'featured collection' to h2, nothing was changed. Should I just make the rest into h2's as well?

I think there were a couple of SEO apps installed on top of each other, I just deleted them all. I do it manually in Shopify anyway, but was trying to get a JSON app to get rid of some errors and warnings and get the rich review snippet in google search to appear. 

Does this seem right now?  https://outdoorconcepts.co.nz/ .  (I still have to change the h1s)

thanks so much for your time, really appreciate it :)

0 Likes

It looks like you may have turned off an app that was controlling the title and description - it is missing entirely now from the entire site now. Definitely want to get that fixed as soon as you can to avoid Google reindexing with out titles/descriptions. 

2019-11-26_1951.png

Steve | @ PromoPrep
0 Likes

this meta data which shown in search engine ..it should be also on your web pages...bcoz sometimes google piccks some data from web pages while indexing...

so check it once...change it according in meta description

once it done cjheck it on source code ( ctrl+ U )

0 Likes

@Infratech_Digit Looks like you are back in business! The description is populating now with searches for Outdoor Concepts nz and New Zealand.

2019-11-28_1356.png

I'd still work through the H1s as well but glad to see it is working. Yes you can make them H2s - but pick the most descriptive one as your H1 and the higher up the page is usually better as it is supposed to be the main header on the page. 

Let me know if you have other questions.

Steve

Steve | @ PromoPrep
0 Likes