Indexing internal search results to Google

folkloricjungle
1 0 2

Hi there,

Does anyone know how some stores generate internal search results pages for SEO? Essentially taking a tag and making an SEO-friendly page for it.

As an example, I think Wayfair does this a lot. For example, if you search "Italy wall art" it just takes you to a search result on the website with Italy tagged (https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/sb1/italy-wall-art-c215363-a144767~465485.html).

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 9.45.24 PM.png

It seems to me that this wasn't an actual "page" per se, but rather Wayfair auto-creating SEO descriptions for these search result pages that just inserts the tag into a sentence - i.e., they take the tag "Italy" and plugs it into "Shop Wayfair for all the best ____ Wall Art. Enjoy..."

Has anyone tried to do this on their own / does anyone know if this is actually allowed? I'm not sure if this falls under "Autogenerated Content" against Google's guidelines

Thanks in advance!

The technical SEO term for this strategy is faceted navigation. I suggest you read that article. Minutely controlling the aspects of faceted content for SEO is a challenge in Shopify. It is one of the hardest parts of on-page SEO for anyone to get right.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
KieranR
Shopify Partner
296 24 88

Yeah what josh said. That example you linked is more to do with PLP faceted nav. I'd think of it more like a tag page, not an internal SERP page. 

Wayfair search result URL's actually start like this: 
wayfair.com/keyword.php

In a tool like Ahrefs, you can get a (rough) organic search traffic estimate. So it looks like Wayfairs internal site SERPs are not doing that well in Google Organic search:

KieranR_0-1608598385217.png

Instead, Amazon is a way better example:

KieranR_1-1608598513329.png

I took a look at Amazon top organic keywords where URL contains "s?k=" and it looks like this: 

KieranR_2-1608598872252.png

So you can see how this kind of approach can work well when done correctly (Amazon is an extreme example...)

I think success with internal SERP pages is a mix of things: 

1. Pages set to index. Many internal SERPs are set to noindex by design.
  2. SEO metas + titles that are search friendly for internal SERP results
  3. Good on-page, like search term in ATF large h1 + a description (auto generated?), maybe static render (so not all JS)
  4. Useful to searchers. A general store with a large SKU count like Amazon is perfect here, but a single ecom site with 100 products is likely to struggle to get traction with this. 
  5. Good internal linking - have some custom scaleable way to insert related category kw search terms - somewhere like a pre-footer might work well (similar to how LongtailUX does it)
  6. Good back-linking to those pages

You could probably go a lot deeper with trying to automate a way to define which internal SERP pages are high-priority, what ones should be auto-added to sitemap.xml, what ones should be auto-pruned from internal links, what ones should be no-indexed etc.

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.
0 Likes
mjaljassim
Tourist
8 0 0

Hey, everyone 

i have problem with submitting sitemap to google console "sitemap_products_1.xml " ,

https://proteinkw.com/products/sitemap_products_1.xml

www.proteinkw.com

0 Likes