Keywords

Solved
Mad_Modeler
Explorer
114 1 16

This may sound like a silly question.

Where do I add my keywords and keyphrases ?

I can find where to add my meta-description, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to add keywords, do I have to do theme edits to include them?

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
853 74 214

Hi @Mad_Modeler,

You typically want to use keywords in the written content on your store, such as in product descriptions and in the pages you have published. This will all affect your SEO, so you want to make sure your sentences are well-written and include the phrases and words you feel are important and relevant to your store. You'll also want to make sure your page titles include these keywords, and that the content here matches up with what you have in your descriptions and page content. I would recommend checking out our guide on adding keywords over on the Shopify Help Center, which explains where best to include these keywords and how to improve your SEO.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Mad_Modeler
Explorer
114 1 16

@Victor

I have a few variants in my store, ( small pots of paint)

The product variant title is eg; Citadel Base Paint.

Is it better (*SEO wise) to title each colour  Citadel Abaddon Black Base Paint

or just

Abaddon Black ?

0 Likes

Hi @Mad_Modeler

The content of a product page is limited ,so cramming keywords into such limited space is not really the best practice. The tip is to create blog posts (which are easier to rank) for topics related to your products. For example, write a blog post about Top 50 Best Base Paint. 

Then, link this blog post to the relevant product pages. 

This is a case study from an eCommerce FB group that I'm in - the guy sells leather boots, and he used the same suggested approach. 

Screenshot (85).pngWish you the best of luck with your eCommerce journey

If you find my answer is of any help, make sure to hit the like button  

PageFly - Advanced Shopify Page Builder - Empowering 90.000+ active merchants.
- Learn How To Build A Successful eCommerce Subscription Business In This A-Z Free Course
- Inspiring example: PageFly builds a complete Shopify landing page base on Nike.com
- PageFly Page Builder: Website | Youtube | PageFly Community | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter
Mad_Modeler
Explorer
114 1 16

@PageFly wrote:

Hi @Mad_Modeler

The content of a product page is limited ,so cramming keywords into such limited space is not really the best practice. The tip is to create blog posts (which are easier to rank) for topics related to your products. For example, write a blog post about Top 50 Best Base Paint. 

Then, link this blog post to the relevant product pages. 

This is a case study from an eCommerce FB group that I'm in - the guy sells leather boots, and he used the same suggested approach. 

Screenshot (85).pngWish you the best of luck with your eCommerce journey

If you find my answer is of any help, make sure to hit the like button  

This seems to contradict what @Victor said up there, which is what I find whenever I ask a question about SEO.

One source of information seems to always contradict another.

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
853 74 214

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Mad_Modeler,

I think it depends on the product in question, and how many variants you're offering. If, for example, you were selling a type of paint that came in 20 different colours, you likely wouldn't want to include the colour in the title—if you had a single product this would confuse customers as there's actually numerous colour offerings, and if you listed each colour variant as an individual product then your store would soon become clogged with different variations of the same product.

In terms of variants, I'd recommend just listing the different colours and nothing else. In your scenario, I'd recommend having "Citadel Base Paint" as the product and "Abaddon Black" as the variant option. This avoids repeating the name of the product in the variant title, which looks cleaner and would be better for SEO purposes.

For more information on product titling from an SEO perspective, I'd recommend checking out this guide on a third-party site which includes lots of good information.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes