Looking for a marketing mentor.

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Hello all,

I have created my site just a couple months ago, and have been a little disappointed. I have tried to put together a list of things to do for marketing that I am updating daily, weekly, or monthly respectively, but I feel like they aren't enough. I know building a brand takes time, but I would like to know that I am at least headed in the right direction. Even just to talk to someone about my marketing plan would be a great help. I want to put in the work but I'm not sure how. Let me know if you would be interested in helping me out. I would be willing to do some work in exchange for knowledge if that's what it takes!

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Jarett Wegner
SandJay Hammocks (sandjayhammocks.com)

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
27 0 3

Hi Jarett, 

Mark here from the Shopify Support team. 

You're right, building a brand can take some time. I'm happy to hear that you're committed and want to work to see your business grow. I'd love to share a couple of tools with you that I have seen help new merchants like yourself. 

The first item I will recommend is an app called Kit. It's available here on the app store. Kit is a new app that is designed to help you grow your business. It includes several really neat features that help analyze your business and determine the best way to not onl convert visitors into sales, but also help you build your brand by running targeted ad campaigns on Facebook and other social media. You can set the budget that Kit has to market your brand and products, and Kit essentially does the rest. It will ask you for your input, but is a powerful tool that helps eleviate the mysteries that new merchants sometimes face when they're first starting out. Be sure to give Kits app page a read as it goes into more details about all it can do. :) 

Second, be sure to use the Google Adwords credit that comes with your Shopify store - it's a great way to get some advertising started for your site and brand with Google Adwords. If you haven't already, create an Adwords account with Google and then follow the link at the bottom of the Discounts page in your Admin to claim your Adwords credit. 

I hope that these items help. Your site looks great, I love the fact that you have a bloog (keep those posts coming!) and several neat products. Keep at it and you will get there. :) 

Best, 

Mark | Shopify Support Team

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

I really appreciate this information Mark. I was looking over Kit a couple days ago and was still a little skeptical but I think I'll give it a shot. I have not used the Adwords credits either, is there a resource you could recommend of how to learn more about Adwords? I want to make the most out of it!

Thanks again,
Jarett Wegner
SandJay Hammocks (sandjayhammocks.com)

0 Likes
Highlighted
18 0 0
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
83 0 12

Hey Jarett,

Feel free to get in touch any time, it sounds like you need to develop your brand in a sustainable way.

Scott Luscombe
www.creatibly.com
scott@creatibly.com
905-550-5023

Creatibly Inc. Brains Matter. www.creatibly.com | scott@creatibly.com | 905-550-5023
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
22 0 11

Jarett,

My best advice to you is to focus on optimising your store first before spending money on promotion. Don't spen money to send traffic to a website that can't cash it. Your website has still lots of room to improve, I advise against doing any actual marketing (planing is fine) until the following has been addressed:

1- Vague and genral return/refund policy:

Say I'm a customer interested in buying from you, I check your refund policy to make sure my purchase is safe. I see this as the 2nd paragraph:

"Several types of goods are exempt from being returned. Perishable goods such as food, flowers, newspapers or magazines cannot be returned. We also do not accept products that are intimate or sanitary goods, hazardous materials, or flammable liquids or gases."

Food, Flowers, Newspapers and Magazines? Really? 

2- Shipping time-frame is clear on product page, but shipping cost is not. It's also not clear if it's just for US orders or for international orders as well? I can't find any more info about shipping on your site.

If you do a great job on marketing and attract the right customer in the right time for purchase, and they are interested to buy immediately, what do they want to know? They like to know when do they receive it? How much does shipping cost? Is it safe to buy from you? What if somethign goes wrong? Can they get a refund? Can they return the item? 

See, that's why the best marketing methods, even if executed brilliantly, will work less than optimal for you at the moment, cause they can bring the customer only that close to purchase, and the rest is your website's job to close the sale and get the cash.

3- Please remove those "No Reviews" from every product pages until you get at least 5-10 reviews from actual customers. Why I should buy from a website whe I feel I'm the very first customer?

4- Post some more real life pics on Instagram

5- Your product descriptions are good, but overall the font on your website is small and hard to read, consider increasing font size a bit.

6- You only have 8 products, cosider addim them all to your home page at least for now. I go to catalog, I see the same, and then there's filters that narrows them down to one or two. It's simple, don't make is more complicated that it needs to be

7-  First glance you seem to be on the right track with blogging, but consider adding more pics, some posts do not have any pics. Blogs help with purchase decision as much as they help with being found in search results. Also please increase that font size, it's hard to read.

That's it for now, I hope you find it helpful.

Best of luck with your business!

Cheers,

Sia

Digital Marketer / Co-Foudder at Madotta
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Sia,

This is all great stuff. I really like how you provided detail to HOW I should critique, not just the why. I am having trouble understanding what you mean by shipping complications, could you elaborate. What would you change about my shipping options? If I'm not mistaken, all orders are 9.95 shipping in the US or International. Do I need to put this on the product page? It shows you the option on the checkout page. Just trying to get a better understanding of how I can adjust this. I really appreciate all of these critiques and will get started right away!

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Contact me on skype: dungsdtq92, dunglamchieu_1. i can help you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
22 0 11

Jarett,

Glad you find the suggestions helpful.

A flat 9.95 shipping rate is fine as a shipping strategy, however, it's written nowhere on your website.

Right now if I'm just interested to know that, I should add a product to cart, go see cart, go see checkout, enter my contact info and address and click next just to see how much does it cost to ship. NO ONE does that. And even then I see "International Shipping" there's no mention of it being Flat Rate, so I'll be still wondering whether it changes if I add another item to my cart. Remember at that stage I wasn't ready to buy, I just went that way to figure out shipping cost.

In your product description where you have "SHIPPING: 7-20 DAYS.", change it to something more descriptive like: "Shipping 7-20 days, $9.95 flat rate" that helps a lot.

On another note, while checking your website again, I noticed that the "SHOP BELOW" button on the homepage just refreshes the page. It has to either scroll down the page or go to another page.

Cheers,

Sia

Digital Marketer / Co-Foudder at Madotta
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Sia,

I understand what you mean about the shipping and will change it. Thanks for the help!

I changed the "shop now" button to "shop below" when you said to keep all of my products on the front page. I should've changed it back first, as I can't figure out how to do what you are saying (make the link drop down the page). I am going to change it back to "shop now" and allow customers to view the products on either the home page or product page, and I will delete all the tags since I only have 8 products.

Going to do that and the shipping advice now,

Thanks Sia!

0 Likes