Maintaining SEO: From GoDaddy Shopping Cart to Shopify

Highlighted
4 0 0

We had an old site on Go Daddy's Quick Shopping Cart that built very strong SEO over 2 years.

We just developed a new site with the same products to a new site (www.lasource.la)

How would we maintain the SEO?  I've seen 301 redirects, sitemaps, but no real concrete option.

CAN SOMEONE HELP?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
155 0 6

Hi LA Source - Shopify,  natively, will build out your product pages and such in an SEO friendly way (architecturally attractive to the SE spiders), however, if your URL structure changes at all with the move (which it likely will) then you absolutely need to take the time to do 301 mappings of old Go Daddy to new Shopify links. It is essential.

Outside of this it important to preserve your on and off page SEO; ensure all of your product descriptions carry over and/or are enhanced (using intelligence from Google Analytics, for example), your images are alt tagged, etc.

There are some good SEO plugins which can help you going forward, but your most important 'first leap' measure is the 301 redirection. Also make sure to de-index any pages that you don't need from the old site (ones that were not getting nay traffic).

Good luck.

WhiteWater Web

A certified Shopify Partner and Expert, WhiteWater Web (WWW) is a premium digital solutions company specializing in web dev/design, digital marketing, and online strategy.
1 Like
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi WhiteWater, thank you for the reply.

We already did the general 301 redirect (as I understand it).  But believe that will only help in driving traffic from old site to new? 

Do you know how to set up 301 redirects for each page from GoDaddy to Shopify?  I tried URL redirects within the Shopify platform, but it won't let me since the URL has changed.  Would really appreciate a step-by-step guide if you know of one!

Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
155 0 6

Hi LA Source - if your domain name has remained the same then you need to redirect every page on your old site, to the new one - hosted by Shopify. There are a few app's to help you do this; have a look at:

https://apps.shopify.com/transportr

https://apps.shopify.com/traffic-control-bulk-redirects

To access a list of all your old URL's you can use Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Google Webmaster Tools (all if hooked to your site), or a tool like this: http://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/

We hope this helps!

Cheers.

WhiteWater Web

A certified Shopify Partner and Expert, WhiteWater Web (WWW) is a premium digital solutions company specializing in web dev/design, digital marketing, and online strategy.
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi WhiteWater! What if the domain name has changed?  Are we S.O.L.?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
155 0 6

Hi LA Source - no, you're not necessarily SOL :)

It depends on what server/technology your old site used; if for example it was PHP based this would be fairly easy to keep the old site up and modify the .htaccess file to do some redirection for you. If you were using a Wordpress CMS before, their are solid redirect plugins that will allow you to do this on a page by page basis too. Again, make sure the redirect are 301 - nothing else.

Of course if you need a hand with any of this we can assist :)

Cheers!

WhiteWater Web (info AT whitewatersolutions.com)

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

We were using Go Daddy Quick Shopping Cart.  If i simply do a redirect, would the new URL retain the old URL's SEO?  Or is it a simple redirect?

Trying to see if it's worth the hassle.  Thanks again!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
155 0 6

Depends on how GoDaddy support and/or your panel allow you to do it. Best perhaps to contact GoDaddy support on this one; I suspect it would be a 302 redirect (not good), but perhaps a 301. You would lose one to one relationships (potentially, depending on how they do it) but you may only care about the page to homepage link wealth.

Cheers!

WhiteWater Web

0 Likes