Major increase of conversions from direct traffic after use of Shopify Payments

SanderVelden
Tourist
13 0 2

Before I used Mollie as my payment provider, but because of the extra transaction fees and about 30 percent missing conversions I changed to Shopify Payments.

Now I have about 95% accuracy for conversion vs real orders in Shopify so that goes well. But now the conversions from direct traffic increased from 5 to 50 percent. And it's caused by the payment process since using Shopify Payments. A lot of conversion are now with a landing page that starts with /checkout/processing/ (see screenshot) and a total duration of the visit between a few seconds and one minute. So in the payment process the real source of the visitor got lost because Google Analytics sees this as direct traffic.

I already had a lot of contact with support, but in the end they couldn't help me. Anyone that had this problem too or a great idea to fix it?

Screenshot 2021-03-16 at 20.39.44.png

@SanderVelden A helpful start to isolate weird analytics problems is to create a segment in analytics for these people. That way everything you look at in analytics is about these people.

Another step is to go to Audience > User Explorer with that segment enabled. From there, you are better equipped to understand the common threads among users with a particular analytics issue.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
SanderVelden
Tourist
13 0 2

@Josh_Uebergang Thanks for your reply. So I did that and then I see about the same results (in percentages) as in my first example. So for the selected period almost half of the conversions have a landing page with 'checkout' in it. So the segment includes all sessions with a landing page that contain 'checkout'. So can you maybe give some directions what to do next? I was hoping someone experienced this same problem after using Shopify Payments. Since this wasn't an issue when I used Mollie (third payment provider).

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 09.10.53.png

0 Likes
SanderVelden
Tourist
13 0 2

@Josh_Uebergang And if I look into your suggested next step I see also more confirmation that this isn't correct. Mostly the session duration is too short to finish an order. Any suggestions how I can find out how to solve the issue that Shopify Payments caused? 

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 11.45.22.png

0 Likes

Find the order IDs in GA for those users then check them in Shopify. It could be linked to a particular payment gateway given those session durations.

It's been a while since I've investigated but it's possibly related to a 2-minute cross-domain window:

When you invoke the plugin, it returns a URL query parameter which includes the Client ID as well as a signature which is valid for 2 minutes. So, if you visit a different domain URL with the query parameter within the two minute window, cross-domain traffic could be setup between the two domains.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
SanderVelden
Tourist
13 0 2

@Josh_Uebergang Thanks, I'm gonna look into this information.

0 Likes
SanderVelden
Tourist
13 0 2

@Josh_Uebergang Can I aks you for a short check of my understanding of the following:

- Chapter 5 of https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-analytics-shopify mentions that if possible you need to set-up something on the other domain.
- On https://www.simoahava.com/analytics/troubleshooting-cross-domain-tracking-in-google-analytics/ they explain with GTM, which is not possible to use because of my Shopify plan.
- On https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/linker I did some more research.

Is it as simple as adding below code to the 'Additional scripts' field in Shopify and replace destination.com by my own domain name? Since I can't affect the Shopify payment (third party) workaround, I assume that can be ignored.

// Loads the Linker plugin
ga
('require', 'linker');

// Instructs the Linker plugin to automatically add linker parameters
// to all links and forms pointing to the domain "destination.com".
ga
('linker:autoLink', ['destination.com'], false, true); 

Note: I will also test this, but if you might think this can ruin more than it helps I might remove it earlier than I have enough data.

0 Likes
selina10261
Excursionist
77 0 7

I have the same confusion.

0 Likes
SanderVelden
Tourist
13 0 2

@selina10261 Good to know. Which options have you already tried? I'm now testing something (see previous message) but as I expected that seems not to be the solution. It also felt that was too easy but I wanted to give it a try.

Dutchiemixed
Tourist
5 0 1

Same here. 

hooks.stripe.com is used to redirect the traffic. After adding this as an exclusion in google analytics, the conversions are coming in as direct / none...  we buy our traffic via paid channels so this is frustrating in terms of attribution... 

Shopify do you have a solution for this?

When is the GA4 implementation coming to shopify? 

0 Likes