Major increase of conversions from direct traffic after use of Shopify Payments

SanderVelden
Tourist
14 0 2

Before I used Mollie as my payment provider, but because of the extra transaction fees and about 30 percent missing conversions I changed to Shopify Payments.

Now I have about 95% accuracy for conversion vs real orders in Shopify so that goes well. But now the conversions from direct traffic increased from 5 to 50 percent. And it's caused by the payment process since using Shopify Payments. A lot of conversion are now with a landing page that starts with /checkout/processing/ (see screenshot) and a total duration of the visit between a few seconds and one minute. So in the payment process the real source of the visitor got lost because Google Analytics sees this as direct traffic.

I already had a lot of contact with support, but in the end they couldn't help me. Anyone that had this problem too or a great idea to fix it?

Screenshot 2021-03-16 at 20.39.44.png

@SanderVelden A helpful start to isolate weird analytics problems is to create a segment in analytics for these people. That way everything you look at in analytics is about these people.

Another step is to go to Audience > User Explorer with that segment enabled. From there, you are better equipped to understand the common threads among users with a particular analytics issue.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
SanderVelden
Tourist
14 0 2

@Josh_Uebergang Thanks for your reply. So I did that and then I see about the same results (in percentages) as in my first example. So for the selected period almost half of the conversions have a landing page with 'checkout' in it. So the segment includes all sessions with a landing page that contain 'checkout'. So can you maybe give some directions what to do next? I was hoping someone experienced this same problem after using Shopify Payments. Since this wasn't an issue when I used Mollie (third payment provider).

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 09.10.53.png

0 Likes
SanderVelden
Tourist
14 0 2

@Josh_Uebergang And if I look into your suggested next step I see also more confirmation that this isn't correct. Mostly the session duration is too short to finish an order. Any suggestions how I can find out how to solve the issue that Shopify Payments caused? 

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 11.45.22.png

0 Likes

Find the order IDs in GA for those users then check them in Shopify. It could be linked to a particular payment gateway given those session durations.

It's been a while since I've investigated but it's possibly related to a 2-minute cross-domain window:

When you invoke the plugin, it returns a URL query parameter which includes the Client ID as well as a signature which is valid for 2 minutes. So, if you visit a different domain URL with the query parameter within the two minute window, cross-domain traffic could be setup between the two domains.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
SanderVelden
Tourist
14 0 2

@Josh_Uebergang Thanks, I'm gonna look into this information.

0 Likes
SanderVelden
Tourist
14 0 2

@Josh_Uebergang Can I aks you for a short check of my understanding of the following:

- Chapter 5 of https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-analytics-shopify mentions that if possible you need to set-up something on the other domain.
- On https://www.simoahava.com/analytics/troubleshooting-cross-domain-tracking-in-google-analytics/ they explain with GTM, which is not possible to use because of my Shopify plan.
- On https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/linker I did some more research.

Is it as simple as adding below code to the 'Additional scripts' field in Shopify and replace destination.com by my own domain name? Since I can't affect the Shopify payment (third party) workaround, I assume that can be ignored.

// Loads the Linker plugin
ga
('require', 'linker');

// Instructs the Linker plugin to automatically add linker parameters
// to all links and forms pointing to the domain "destination.com".
ga
('linker:autoLink', ['destination.com'], false, true); 

Note: I will also test this, but if you might think this can ruin more than it helps I might remove it earlier than I have enough data.

0 Likes
SanderVelden
Tourist
14 0 2

@selina10261 Good to know. Which options have you already tried? I'm now testing something (see previous message) but as I expected that seems not to be the solution. It also felt that was too easy but I wanted to give it a try.

Dutchiemixed
Tourist
5 0 1

Same here. 

hooks.stripe.com is used to redirect the traffic. After adding this as an exclusion in google analytics, the conversions are coming in as direct / none...  we buy our traffic via paid channels so this is frustrating in terms of attribution... 

Shopify do you have a solution for this?

When is the GA4 implementation coming to shopify? 

0 Likes
SanderVelden
Tourist
14 0 2

@Dutchiemixed Yes, indeed. Seems like exactly the same problem. I did some further research on the suggestion of @Josh_Uebergang and asked Shopify (based on his links) what they can do about their part of the suggested steps in the articles. But it seems that they don't want or can't do anything. 

--- Response Shopify

I have read through the website you sent as well as through the previous emails, and I understand you're having issues with this step:

• When entering the target domain via a link in the source domain or an iframe, the URL of the page loaded in the web browser must have the _ga=1.234567.234567.234567 URL query parameter in place - Jump to details

Everything that needs to be done within Google's side is a bit out of our knowledge scope, as we only support the Google Channel within Shopify. After scrolling down a bit, it looks like this needs to be within the Google Task Manager, which I'm not familiar with so our help with this matter is limited, as our technical support team also deals with the Shopify side of things, not what goes on within Google.

---

But I think it's strange since it already seemed a problem 4 years ago (https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Direct-Traffic-in-Google-Analytics-is-including-c...) so I expected Shopify had already a workaround for it or otherwise the experience to know what we do wrong on our side so we can fix it ourselves.

@Dutchiemixed @selina10261 Please let me know if you have more insights.

0 Likes