Making first marketing hire

Highlighted
12 0 0

Hi there,

I'm starting to have some more success & consistent sales and feel it's time to hire someone to help with marketing.

I spend too much time marketing and it's exhausting.

At what point did you hire your first marketer? How did you make that decision? Was there a revenue metric/milestone you used?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Oh interesting.. I've been talking to a few college grads through linkedin on potential internships.

Im not sure if training the intern will be more time consuming & pay off rather than just doing the work myself.

Would like to see revenue metrics other people started hiring at.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 0

The best way for marketing product is advertising such as Google and FB Ads. You can contact some product marketing advertising company so that they can run an advertisement campaign for your products.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
92 0 8

I'm in the same boat. But I get flooded with different small companies randomly emailing me, telling me to hire them, and I have no idea where to go or who to trust. It sort of feels like spam emails, so I dont consider them.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
654 45 142

I hear ya @Marisa, I think most of them are lower quality, but I respond to the occasional cold email and am pleasantly surprised.

I read most of them, and also ignore most of them, but if they seem legit I'll ask them what it will cost, what's the estimated ROI, and examples of campaigns they've done in the past. If they can intelligently answer those questions, I'll consider the service.

I've found that's a quick way to filter for quality work.

To me it just comes down to if their service will generate a positive ROI, and they seem trustworthy, I hire them. You win some you lose some, but I'm a fan of experimenting and trying to find new channels to get traffic/sales.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app).
Creator of Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, send emails).
Creator of Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
I also build custom apps and automated solutions.
Enjoy the adventure!
0 Likes
Excursionist
92 0 8

Thats great advice Joe. I'll ask them some questions next time, and see what they say.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
72 0 8

I've personally been the first marketing hire at a few startups throughout my career. One general rule you should follow is, "Hire slow. Fire fast." Here are my thoughts:

Does this person have proven experience? I know there's the meme of "you must have 2 years of experience for this entry level job" for college grads, but a work history focused in marketing goes a long way. 

Can they provide work samples? Marketers have a catalog of the work they've done throughout their career. Ask for examples of publically available work they've done like ads, emails, blog posts and more.

Will they wear multiple hats? At a small company, marketers have to be prepared to fill the role of sales, marketing, customer service and more. If a potential hire says they'll only do one specific thing, they're better off working for a Fortune 500 company.

Sometimes, an agency is the best way to go. Why? Because successful agencies have proven experience. Disclaimer: I do work for an agency, so I'm slightly biased. But if I had to choose between paying an agency $2k/month or an entry-level marketer, I'd pick the agency. You can Google most agencies these days to get a sense of who's legit and who's a scammer. Pro tip: a good agency is patient and provides case studies. 

Finally, do they know eCommerce? People think eCommerce is easy because it's just getting people to buy products online. It's not as easy as people think. To truly be successful, your marketing team needs to know copywriting, advertising, emails, competitor offers and more. 

Put your Facebook Ads on Autopilot - http://gopollen.com
0 Likes