Marketing reports- no sales attributed to marketing / conversion?

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 2

Hello,

We're looking to be able to track our different marketing campaigns and would like reporting based on our utm parameters- in addition we'd like to be able to attach the campaign info to sales by customer / customer LTV by campaign / source etc.

Our Marketing Reports show plenty of sessions attributed to marketing, but sales attributed to marketing and conversion by first / last interaction reports show no campaigns  / orders.

Any help on why our sales aren't being attributed? We're using ReCharge exclusively for checkout.

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.10.00 AM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
545 64 130

This is an accepted solution.

Hey there, @DennisJ 

Thanks for reaching out today! I'd be happy to shed some light on how our marketing reports trigger "sales attributed to marketing" to give you some potential reasons why you aren't seeing data in there.

Shopify uses a "last touch" attribution model, so only the latest last visit that converted is taken into account when attributing a session or sale to marketing. In your case, when you check your analytics you have seen that your sales attributed to marketing are not as high as you would expect. This is because if a visitor visits the site through a marketing link, leaves, and comes back later. Shopify will be able to see the original referral link with UTM properties, but they will not be attributed in the order, as they were not part of the session that actually converted. The order will always be attributed to the session where the conversion happened.

Google analytics does as well but theirs is slightly different. They'll always, in the end, attribute the conversion to the last available source/UTM. Whereas we will not because we break ours up in sessions. Here is an example:

1. A customer opens a marketing email from your shop. They click the link, browse around your site, maybe add something to cart. They close their laptop and take off for the day. The session ends.
  2. They return in the morning to open their laptop, prompting a new session on your site, and then they browse around again and checkout. Since the actual purchase occurred in a new session, this means the attribution will be shown as direct as opposed to the email campaign, thus not appearing in the report as expected. However, both session details should still appear in the Conversion Summary card on the order, as seen in this screenshot.

This is true of all conversion information in these marketing and traffic reports and is why Facebook or Google or emailing marketing apps and others may have different conversion data than we do.

Also, in your case you are using a third-party checkout system. When using something like Bold Cashier or ReCharge, the conversion is taking place on Bold and not on Shopify, so no conversion details will be available for those orders. You can quickly check this by adding the Filter on the Orders page to Online Store Sales channel.

Lastly, it's also worth noting that you have had 42 sessions which is a very small sample size. If your average conversion rate is lower than 2.4%, 42 sessions will not be enough volume, on average, for your store to generate a sale which would also explain why it's at 0.

Let me know if this helps! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 2

Hi Dirk,

Thanks so much for your thorough response. From your explanation, it sounds like since we're exclusively using ReCharge for checkout, sales will never be attributed to marketing, correct?

Is there some way we can update attribution of sales / conversions manually? Perhaps by setting properties on Orders and/or Customers via the API?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 2

I was able to get my follow up question answered via Shopify support. Including here for posterity.

The attribution is made via the referring_site property on the Order. This cannot be updated after the order is created (the only editable order properties are documented on the PUT request here (https://shopify.dev/docs/admin-api/rest/reference/orders/order#update-2020-01).

In my case, ReCharge would have to set this property on order creation.

0 Likes