Marketing takes longer than people realise

jonathanbriggs
Shopify Partner
137 0 0
I read on another thread a comment where one Shopify user was disappointed that they had not had more traffic more quickly. This must be a common feeling so I thought I would relate it to my experience of launching other sites. I have been working with the web since 1997 and launching a new site back then was a newsworthy event. But no more. If you launch a site today you might as well stick a Post-it note to a tree in the middle of a forest and hope that it will be noticed. When people discover this they look around for a silver bullet to help drive traffic: PR, Adwords, SEO or other voodoo and hope that with minimum outlay and in double quick time they will transform their 10, 35 or 100 visitors per day (and no orders) into 10,000 visitors a day (with the cash-tills ringing). In my experience this never happens. The web may provide any page within 10 seconds but getting your message out on the web is a slow process. Typically it can take 6-12 months before your traffic starts to grow. I launched my latest site The Market Quarter (selling French Food Products in the UK) in late January and have seen only a gradual growth in daily traffic and although orders are growing sometimes they can be days apart. I am supporting the site with some low cost Google AdWords (£3 per day) and blogging and writing about it as I can. My best lead so far is that I have been found by a UK TV Food Show (satellite and cable only) and have had some products featured on there with a link to my shop from their website. This has begun to deliver some additional visitors. Let me reassure you that if you keep pressing away at the marketing you will eventually start to see some results. Another site I launched 3 years ago now makes £40,000 per month from a standing start BUT it took 18 months of marketing slog to get it to to that point. I would recommend some Google Adwords Advertising and persistent commenting and blogging plus telling all your friends and enemies but without an enormous marketing budget you will need to be patient. Jonathan
The Market Quarter http://www.marketquarter.com French Foie Gras and Food Hampers from London's Borough Market. Follow me @jonathanbriggs
0 Likes
iamkeir
Shopify Partner
194 0 30

I appreciated this post, Jonathan, thank you. Useful for managing client expectations.

Keir

http://iamkeir.com
0 Likes
jonathanbriggs
Shopify Partner
137 0 0

Thanks Keir.

I am still here and the good news, six months in is that orders have increased ten-fold and the site is starting to deliver real value.

I am not complacent however and know there is still a long way to go but my predictions of slow and steady growth were spot on.

Here are a few of the other things I did:

1. Wrote some definitive/expert articles such as “a guide to Borough Market stalls online” and posted it on the site – this has become genuine link bait and is linked from many places
2. Joined a number of food communities
3. Added more content and improved the design
4. Switched from Google to PayPal to allow us to sell wine
5. Increased our ad spend as revenue permitted (some content ads now in food friendly places)

Still lots to do…

1. Perhaps change payment providers and work with Shopify CSS to improve the checkout pages
2. Work with the API to publish feeds to more places
3. Increase the range and depth of our product information (to attract the ‘Long Tail’)
4. Work out better shipping arrangements outside the UK
5. Redesign as time and money allows

Stick with it! Shopify is the best tool I have found for this sort of bottom-up ecommerce and its extensibility will win the day.

Hope your clients can have their expectations managed :-p

Jonathan

The Market Quarter http://www.marketquarter.com French Foie Gras and Food Hampers from London's Borough Market. Follow me @jonathanbriggs
0 Likes
denise
9 0 0

My shop officially launched back in August and I’d been getting quite discouraged about how slowly things seemed to be moving along.

Reading about your experience has sort of checked my expectations a bit, which is a good thing. Plus given me some ideas for how to improve traffic.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this post!

Denise

www.ilovekaramel.com
0 Likes
AlexWyatt
150 0 0

I agree with everyone here, it takes time and consistant work. I just recently watched a friend change his entire life aand become successful because of hard internet marketing etc. I beleive in Shopify and I will continue to recommend to friends and future ecommerce people.

www.channelgoods.com

0 Likes
Propelguru
Trailblazer
304 6 39

Change is a reality and it all works today. The ability to leverage owners into leverage financing is now one of the most popular guidelines. This is especially true in markets where the exchange rate system is changing.

Today's leaders face terrible challenges. Daily separation is expensive. If you do not change it, it will be useless. The company must have an internal plan and have an external influence on the image, even when shopping.

Yes, not all businesses are the same. Some restrictions for multiple companies. All the others are more important and more productive.

0 Likes