Marketing to Men who buy things for Women

2 0 2

I launched my business, The Giving Theorem, in the Fall and have received great feedback on my concept. But, still... months later, I struggle with traction, and ultimately, getting sales.

My company markets to men to help them buy better gifts more conveniently for women. (A man logs on, takes a quiz, and I email or text gift ideas in 24-48 hrs)... So, we need to appeal to masculinity, while demonstrating a command in femininity. I think our site meets that, but in terms of marketing to men... I'm at a loss. I've tried so many routes. I've done Facebook advertising (a lot), Google Adwords (some), Twitter ads (a little)... I've worked on my email funnels. I've upped my Instagram game (recently). I have more help on board for blogging so that should improve in the future. However... I'm not confident that any of this is going to be what gains traction with men.

Are there any other entrepreneurs on this form who actively target men and might be willing to share what has worked for them? 

Does anyone have any creative ideas for me?

1 Like
Shopify Partner
1056 0 108

Hi Katie! Maggie, a Shopify Partner here :)

What a great business idea! I love this - helping men choose a gift for their partners through a quiz, it is a perfect solution, and I'm sure many men would be grateful for such a helpful guidance. The site colors look great, as well as the images used. As you asked for the marketing tips, I'll focus on these. Who is your target customer? Men, of course, but have you got more details as to who exactly you would like to target? What's their budget? $60k a year? $150k a year? What is their age? 20s? 30s? 40s? Which social sites do they visit? Are they professionals active on Twitter or creatives active on Instagram? Narrowing this down will help you focus your marketing strategy, giving you better results for a smaller investment.

Don't rely on the ads alone, as it's difficult to get them right. Make sure to be active on the social platform of your choice, perfect for your target customer. Study competitors already targeting male audience - what kind of marketing strategy have they got? Do they run contests / giveaways to drive traffic? Where do they get the backlinks from?

Men are very prone to peer pressure, so make sure to use strong male icons as role models when it comes to marketing. Spend some time learning about your target customer - do they prefer reading blog posts or watching videos? Study which platforms they visit the most and simply be visible on the sites they visit, to really make an impact. 

Please also have a look at this video tutorial: How to Drive more FREE Traffic to Your Website.

If you liked this website review and would like to receive feedback on your website, please order your Full website critique today:

http://www.rockpapercopy.com/critiques.html

Maggie Tuczapska

Rock Paper Copy

http://www.rockpapercopy.com

maggie@rockpapercopy.com

Skyrocket your traffic with Complete SEO package!

Learn How to Set up a Shopify Store. Join our Shopify Training Course today: http://bit.ly/ShopifytrainingSEO
1 Like
Tourist
20 0 1

Hi Katie,

I love your concept. One suggestion I have is maybe having some images of example gifts along with the explaination of how it works. Or a description of a real life example...the guy's dilemna and how you found the ideal gift. At a quick glance it's tough to identify what types of gifts you curate... 

As far as marketing to men in addition to the things you've tried, have you considered joining online communities/forums.Facebook groups where men hang out? Develop some freindships. Music, sports, wet shaving enthusiasts etc.  Maybe research some influence marketers on Instagram and Youtube as well. Offer one a chance to take your quiz, serve up your solution and let them spread the word. 

Just a couple of thoughts. Good luck!

0 Likes
Highlighted
10 0 0

Katie,

Great idea!  I thought Beryl's comments were great as well.

If you do more advertising, Mother's Day is coming up and it is a stressful time for men buying things for their wives and mothers, both for themselves and gifts they are buying that would be from children.  Targeted ads helping for this very specific holiday may generate some traffic and an email list. ("Don't know what to buy?  Let us help . . ." - that sort of thing)

You may want to install PollCart (a Shopify plugin), which helps capture sales from undecided customers and lets your customers spread the word about your store and your products and services.  Your idea was actually one of the use cases when we developed it ("A guy needs to buy a gift and needs to check in with his wife's friends to make sure it is good.").

You can learn about it here (https://apps.shopify.com/pollcart-social-commerce).

I hope this helps.  Let me know if there is anything further I can help with.

-Doug

Doug Berman | PollCart - Top Customer Engagement Plug-In for Shopify | doug@pollcart.com
0 Likes
2 0 2

Doug, I like this idea! Question for you... in terms of how the cart is shared... is it via email? I would assume there are options, but I'm thinking for this to work for my audience, we would need it to be via email only as posting a potential gift to social media would end up unveiling the gift quite a bit too early!

1 Like
10 0 0

Katie,

It is text message and email, so it does not publish to social media unless the users do so separately.  It is a personal communication between the visitor and the person/people he or she contacts.  You would not want a surprise posted on Facebook!!

Does this answer your question?  If you'd like, we can talk you through the product and if you like it, the process for installing it.

-Doug

Doug Berman | PollCart - Top Customer Engagement Plug-In for Shopify | doug@pollcart.com
0 Likes
Tourist
52 0 2

Hi Doug,

Love the idea, we're doing something similar at GiftWizard. Many of our clients that sell feminine products but what's men to be able to send them as gifts (ThirdLove for example).

We allow gift recipients to easily change the color size or exchange their gifts for store credit. This gives the gift buyer (in your case men) the confidence to buy knowing that they will always get it right.

We ran multiple successful campaigns with our clients and I think we can help you out.

1 Like
Tourist
10 0 2

What have you tried for marketing campaigns? I am thinking some men are like "I would not stop to ask directions so what makes some company think I need a questionnaire to help find my old lady a gift?"  If you have not tried to tackle the different "personality styles" in different campaigns, then I would try to do more test marketing taking such into account.

Also try to bring something in this that gets a more immediate response after the questionnaire is taken.  The turn around time is too much, I think, they can already have moved on and found a gift somewhere else.

0 Likes