Marketing to military personnel

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
30 0 1

What are some of the best ways and places to market to military personnel online? How can I get my products lists as we want to offer military discounts?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
21 0 2

Hey Brian,

Think like a military person. What websites do people check when they're away from home? FACEBOOK! I would start there. You can pin point military personal fairly easily. Plus there are probably thousands of groups pertaining to military people. Google also has targetting directly to military bases. Guam for instance.

Let me know if you need help.

Thanks

Jamie

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
143 0 18

Hi Brian,

Similar to what Jamie said you can conduct target marketing through Facebook and Google Adwords. You can also focus on some online communities or forums that are for the military community.

Just doing a Google Search I was able to find this: 

I'm sure there are tons out there!

Give them a shot!

John O
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Brian,

Your most effective way is via FB. Almost every Fort, Camp or Base is located in an geographical area which is mostly inhabited by military personnel and their families such as where I live in Fort Hood, Texas.

Alternatively, you could go so far as targetting unit FB pages directly. Almost every unit has their own Facebook page which they utilize to communicate with uniformed personnel and their families. It's the easiest way for units to reach a large audience in a time effective manner.

If you need the names of active duty units you can utilise this reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Forces_Command

Under here you can see the active duty subordinate formations under this command. Such as:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Cavalry_Division_%28United_States%29

Then you can search Wikipedia under each formation to view their subordinate units. You can chuck those unit names into Facebook and hey presto.

There may be a list of units by formation and command out there somewhere but this is a good place to start.

Hope this helps out.

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Are focusing on a particular countires military personal or military personal from evry country?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4 0 0

Go with GovX. It's an ecommerce site for active, off-duty and retired military personnel. We have a client that's had a lot of success there - great expoure, really helped solidify the brand's place in the military community and ulitmately increased our own onsite traffic and sales.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hey Brian, 

I served in the Army from 2010 to 2014 as an infantryman, and I deployed to Afghanistan from 2011 to 2012.  Without a question, your best best for lead generation is Facebook. Because we relocate every 3 to 4 years, we use Facebook to keep in touch with each other.  

If you have any more questions, shoot me an e-mail at kevin@glassypeople.com.

- Kevin

0 Likes