My experience with Facebook Advertising

3 0 0

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

I've spent over $15M on facebook advertising. Some for sites that I've owned, most for clients.

First, boosting posts has rarely worked for me except for "social proof." Social proof can be loosely defined as people believe you're a legitimate site because others think so. Boosts don't lead to sales because usually it drives traffic to your Facebook page, not your site.

Second, when it comes to TARGETED advertising (more on that later), most people have very inflated ideas on how well advertising works. If you have a 2% conversion rate you're doing phenomenal. That's 2 sales for every 100 visitors. So if a click costs you $2.00, a sale is going to cost you $100. That's the reality. So how do people make money? They increase their cart size (by adding promotions to get people to buy more), or they increase the lifetime value of the customer (LTV). This means emails and selling existing customers more after a delightful shopping and fulfillment experience.

If you want to talk real Facebook advertising, nothing else in digital media performs as well, except effective retargeting (which you need the original ads to make work).

If you want to make it easy, use adespresso.com (not affiliated with them). 

Here's how you do it:

1. do you have an emails? if you have at least 100 then create a lookalike audience on Facebook and only advertise to that audience. Create 3 audience, 1%, 2% and 3%. Start with the 1%

2. Spend at least enough to get 50 clicks a day. Otherwise you are wasting your money. People get hung up on CPC (cost per click). The only number that matters is CPA (cost per acquisition). $5 a day isn't going to cut it. Neither is $50 a day. if you have limited budget spend it by the day at least $75 (meaning if you only have $75 spend it all in a day). But...

3. Prime the pump. For the first 4 days only spend $15-$20 a day. This normalizes your cost per click.

4. Fix your site. It sucks. The theme background color and the logo scream 1999. The text on the homepage is also in a horribly aged font. This stuff matters. Your site looks amateurish which makes it 100X harder to sell to anybody that didn't find you on reddit.

5. Normalize your pictures. Make them all the same size. There are several apps in that will do this automatically. 

6. Get a horizontal logo and get a real logo. Your "logo" in its current format pushes the shopping below the fold (the imaginary line beyond which a site visitor can't see anymore without scrolling) and makes it horrible on mobile. 

7. That's the bad. Your domain name is awesome. With a good logo and a better site, you'll do fine. Because of #2 you're going to need promotions to increase your average cart checkout size. Again there are several in the app store that are great.

I hate to be so brutal, but your products are good. If people sugarcoat or blame or point you in the wrong direction, you'll just fail more.

1 Like
3 0 0

Ok so my partner and I have just started up an E-commerce store last week selling clothing for men and women, We have been advertising through FB, Google and Instagram yet we cant seem to make one sale, I have tinkered around with different spendatures on different ads from $5 a day to $30 a day and all we receive is like and clicks that end without a sale. Please help. My site is www.thetrippycat.com

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
8 0 0

a must have that every store need to have is something to push people to complete the order, alot of people doesn't have some mechanism in place so their stats look like view product 1k,  add to cart 400
reach checkout 200 purchase 30, sound this familiar? basicly alot of people leaving the website the most crushial time (when it's time to pay), something stop them maybe price or shipping, of course there are some apps that give coupons but most of them suck because 1 they give the coupon to early, 2 some apps require to change the link which is bad if you do advertising (essentially you need to change the adset link) now there is a killer app that convert more people on the spot you can find more at https://supersalesbooster.com

0 Likes
Excursionist
72 0 8

Hey there,

When it comes to FB advertising, I find a lot of the issues come from targeting. You may think you're targeting the right audience, but a tiny mistake can waste hundreds of dollars. As Hugh said, take advantage of retargeting ads too. 

Here are my suggestions:

1. Understand your target market

You have to research your target market. Knowing the customer demographics helps you design ads based on target audiences. It can be pretty hard to know who your target market is, but machine learning apps on Shopify can automatically identify the best audiences for you.

2. Ad Design

You can design the ads yourself or work with an agency to develop them. They will design various types of ads, such as video ads, static image ads, full-page takeovers, animated images, and so on. Include a clear call to action (CTA) in your images to entice people into clicking on them. A CTA is basically a button that says Learn More, Buy Now, Sign Up Now, etc.

3. Optimization

There are many levels of optimization that help in producing the best results. The optimization techniques include:

• Testing ad frequency
  • Experimenting with the time of placing ads
  • Placing different ads to different people
  • Testing ads on various sites

4. Monitor performance

The final task is to monitor ad performance. Make sure the ads provide the desired outcome. If they aren’t meeting your goals, there is something wrong with the landing page, ads, or other things.

Shopify Facebook Ad & Display Ad Best Practices

Here are some best practices for Facebook and display ads:

• Use a strong product image
  • Add a promotion
  • Have a clear call to action (CTA)
  • Include your company logo
  • Add a strong headline
  • Instill a sense of urgency

Shopify Advertising App Recommendations

Pollen: Pollen enables you to acquire customers on Facebook and across the web simply and cost effectively. Through powerful automation, Pollen offers an easy-to-use marketing platform that’s sole expertise is in driving sales. It takes as little as 2 minutes to set up a campaign. Pollen takes care of the rest. It’s as simple as that! Time is money, so start your free 7 day trial today!

I wrote an in-depth blog post about this. You can read more here.

Put your Facebook Ads on Autopilot - http://gopollen.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
95 0 1

Great thread! CPA has been mentioned a bunch, so here's my $0.02 on the topic:

Product Positioning is key for lowering cpa. A few questions to consider:

What story are you telling with your price? Do you explicitly highlight the features that build a picture of your primary and secondary value propositions? And as it relates to product market fit, does your brand communicate clear proof that you’re selling something people want to buy? These are just a few of the strategic differentiators that will make your product stand out, and ultimately drive down cost per acquisition.

We wrote more about this on our agency blog if you’re interested: https://bit.ly/2N72idH

Kevin Simonson is the CEO of Metric Digital, a performance marketing agency in New York City that focuses on driving revenue and customers through for ecommerce business via online advertising, email and other digital marketing channels.
0 Likes
7 0 0

I implemented the pixel code get traffic towards my website but visitors left without making a purchase its obvious that I had failed to target/catching the right audience for the products later I run a campaign by integrating Trackify-Facebook pixel app for Shopify this app has the feature which allows you to create custom audience for your niche, installing this app make my work 70% easier. 

0 Likes