Need help on Sitemap 403

Tourist
5 0 1

Hi there,

As we all know, Shopify auto-generates the sitemaps.

It was all fine except for one part.

Here is the primary sitemap index:
topologie.com/sitemap.xml

The index and other secondary sitemaps are fine,

but the https://topologie.com/sitemap_pages_1.xml under it returns 403 when submitted to Google.

Anyone can lend a helping hand?
Thanks!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
467 24 56

Hey, @Topologie_F!

Ava here from Shopify.

You will find most smaller websites have all the sitemap content listed in a single file. That doesn't work great with large amounts of content, so Shopify breaks it down into sections. The parent sitemap.xml file will link to the individual sections. When submitting the sitemap to a search engine (Google, Bing, etc) you only need to submit the parent sitemap.xml URL, rather than the parent sitemap plus additional pages/subsets. For your store, this would be topologie.com/sitemap.xml. Search engines see the parent, and the subsections it references and then scans those without having to point out each individual section. So you may get errors if you submit a map like topologie.com/sitemap_pages_1.xml, it will return an error if a sitemap for a domain other than the primary domain is submitted.

Having the sitemap broken down into sections simply makes things more efficient.

Let me know what you think!

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Ava,

Thank you for your reply.

However, the problem I am facing is that, after submitting the sitemap.xml, all the URLs under pages cannot be submitted properly.

Do you mind helping me to see why is the problem happening?

thanks a lot.

@Ava wrote:

Hey, @Topologie_F!

Ava here from Shopify.

You will find most smaller websites have all the sitemap content listed in a single file. That doesn't work great with large amounts of content, so Shopify breaks it down into sections. The parent sitemap.xml file will link to the individual sections. When submitting the sitemap to a search engine (Google, Bing, etc) you only need to submit the parent sitemap.xml URL, rather than the parent sitemap plus additional pages/subsets. For your store, this would be topologie.com/sitemap.xml. Search engines see the parent, and the subsections it references and then scans those without having to point out each individual section. So you may get errors if you submit a map likeit will return an error if a sitemap for a domain other than the primary domain is submitted.

Having the sitemap broken down into sections simply makes things more efficient.

@Ava wrote:

Hey, @Topologie_F!

Ava here from Shopify.

You will find most smaller websites have all the sitemap content listed in a single file. That doesn't work great with large amounts of content, so Shopify breaks it down into sections. The parent sitemap.xml file will link to the individual sections. When submitting the sitemap to a search engine (Google, Bing, etc) you only need to submit the parent sitemap.xml URL, rather than the parent sitemap plus additional pages/subsets. For your store, this would be topologie.com/sitemap.xml. Search engines see the parent, and the subsections it references and then scans those without having to point out each individual section. So you may get errors if you submit a map like topologie.com/sitemap_pages_1.xml, it will return an error if a sitemap for a domain other than the primary domain is submitted.

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
467 24 56

Thanks for your reply!

That is a strange one for sure. A 403 error is usually returned when access to the link is forbidden for some reason. The server understood the request, but will not fulfill it due to client related issues. It may not allow access for things like ad or pop-up blockers, using proxies or too many URL redirects on your website. I've done some digging around for you here and it looks like some users on the Google Forums had similar problems. Would you know if you have any ad-blockers that may be blocking Google from accessing the sitemap?

Also, I did notice that when I went to topologie.com, it redirects to intl.topologie.com. Can you try submitting intl.topologie.com/sitemap.xml instead?

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 3

I am receiving the 403 forbidden as well. 403 is a server response code and so the issue is on the Shopify side. In my case, I've validated my root domain with Google and Bing. Validated https protocol as well. Shopify will need to correct this issue. This is the root cause for sitemaps having initial issues getting picked up with google and bing. I'll guess that the user agent type that is sent with the http request is the issue. Shopify needs to accept these requests.

3 Likes
1 0 1

I am having the same experience as described here. 

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
467 24 56

Hey, @z3r0c00l!

Could you confirm for me that your password had been disabled? If you go to the admin and select Online Store > Preferences > Disable storefront password, you can remove the password protection for your store. The password will need to be disabled before Google can crawl your site.

Once the password is disabled, you should be able to submit your sitemap again in a couple of days and it should work for you at this stage.

Ava

Social Care

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
467 24 56

Hey @patrickpdd2019!

Ava here :)

Same as above, could you confirm for me that your password had been disabled? Once the password is disabled, you should be able to submit your sitemap again in a couple of days and it should work for you at this stage.

Ava

Social Care

0 Likes