Need help with my Facebook and Instagram ads ASAP!

2 0 4

I'll start by saying Influencer marketing is quite dead, I would be very careful going there.
"What has worked for you?"

It really depends on what you're selling, but I'll assume you're promoting physical products. There are two things you need : Advertising and Credibility.

Advertising is obvious, you want people to see your products.The credibility of the advertising campaign is not just who is delivering the message, but encompass why the consumer will and should believe the advertisement. So in a few words, you will need to have some articles published about your company and your product, or your advertising campaign is not very believeable.

For your advertisements, you need to sell the customer on 3 things : 

1. Your product : the best thing since sliced bread
  2. Your company : honest, ethical, offering xxdays money back guarantee, loves their customers blablabla
  3. You are in demand : people don't buy what they need, they don't buy what they want, they buy what other people want

So your advertising mix should look something like that :

First ads batch : promoting your product in a SIMPLE and ELEGANT way. Stop trying to trick people with flashy social-mediay looking ads, just make it clear what your product do and who it is for. You should have the following ads in your set :

1. Simple product explanation ad : you'd be shocked how many customers jump into the cool hyped words and try to flash their products, but forget to tell the client what the product is for. It's normal as we're drowning in our own business, it's hard to see those things but that's why people hire consultants.
  2. Product presentation ad : just a clear statement that your product is out and available in your store for sale
  3. Direct benefit ad : tell your customers what ONE of your product's benefit is (you can make multiple ads if the product has multiple benefits, but please focus on one benefit per ad). 
  4. Reason to buy : simple advertisement presenting your product in a headline and giving a reason to buy it NOW.

Second ad batch : about your company. People will not buy if they don't trust you or your company. We need a few ads to present your online store. It might seem boring but it is necessary. You'll have to create a few ads presenting who you are, what your vision is, where you deliver, if shipping if free make an ad about it, etc.. You are making one sentense ads presenting your company and giving general information about you. 

Third ad batch : showing you are in demand. You need to show people your product is selling, and that it is in high demand. Noone cares about what you have to sell, they care about what other people are buying. It is VERY important to show you are selling, and if you're not, to fake it. You need to show boxes of your products being sent out (A picture or video, who cares) with a caption (for example : "first order from mexico!" ). Mention you're stock is half gone, mention new customers in new places, try to make it fun : "99 orders today for Elise Michel's Speaker, who will be the 100th ?" . etc

Audience :

When you have all this ready to go, then you pick your audience. It's easy to calculate what audience size you need based on your budget or how many customers you'll willing to get. I don't know the industry you're in, but let's take one of my clients as an example. He is into baby fashion retailing, and he wants to get 200 new customers this month

Based on his industry conversion rate, we'll need to have 8,511 people interested in his products to generate 200 retail customers. Based on a conservative rate-of-interest (how many people who see the ads actually respond by taking action), he will need to reach 77,300 people to reach this objective. 

Then we all know the rule of seven, this means a person needs to see an advertisement 7 to 20 times before taking action. Now i'm sure one of your problems is that your impressions and reach are almost the same amount, right ? Check in you ad manager. This would mean most people see your ad ONCE. Now try to remember the ad you saw for the first time today on the billboard in the metro station : You don't. Your campaign CANNOT be successful if people don't see your ads multiple times. You MUST optimize on facebook/instagram ads to have 7 to 20 impressions per reach in order to see massive positive results.

Now back to my client's example : he wants 200 new customers, he nees to generate 8,511 interested people, and for that he needs an audience size of 77,300 people. Then based on the rule of 7, he needs 541,000 impressions AT LEAST to generate interest for his clients.

We assume 20% of impressions are lost because ad platforms are not perfect, so the client needs 649,000 impression to reach his goal. This would set him back $1,687 in advertising budget, and the 200 new customers will generate him an average of $46,400. We have a successful campaign.

To Summarize you need :

• A full ad mix, some about your product, some about your company, and some showing you're in demand
  • To calculate the size of your target audience based on your objectives and/or budget
  • Make sure you show your ads to people more than once, check your facebook ads manager, i'm sure that mistake is there.
  • Study the results and improve on your campaigns in the following months.

Advertising works for thousands of companies, there is no reason it shouldn't work for you. If you need any help with the setup, calculations, or campaign creation, you can always head to Elise Michel Consultants, and ask for Alexandre. I'm more than happy to help ! 

Alexandre Greffen Consultant at Elise Michel It's time to get people lining up to do business with you, don't hesitate to get in touch ! www.elisemichel.com
4 Likes
Shopify Expert
95 0 1

Hey Eloise! Help is on the way.

Okay, one tactic is: Use mixed carousels that allow viewers to browse through your product list.

Outdoor Voices is company we use for inspiratino. They're a retailer who uses short clips of only three seconds, but still gets the point across. These ads effectively demonstrate the value of their comfortable gear. A striking landscape and background adds texture to an otherwise basic product video.

Those tips can inspire your own ads. Hope that helps. https://bit.ly/2HPm4bc

Go make sales!

Kevin Simonson is the CEO of Metric Digital, a performance marketing agency in New York City that focuses on driving revenue and customers through for ecommerce business via online advertising, email and other digital marketing channels.
0 Likes
1 0 0

I was actually scrolling looking for something I do facebook ads for businesses one is an ecommerce store right now. Feel free to reach out to me and we can swap information.

0 Likes

If you are going to do Facebook ads yourself or even hire someone, you've got to understand the platform and that means putting in the hours to learn. Jon Loomer's webinars and Facebook group are killer: https://www.jonloomer.com/phc/

I am in no way affiliated with John.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
2 0 0

Hey man Just try This tool I am Using It for my Store and its Worked https://bit.ly/2jSHWZ8

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hey man Just try This tool I am Using It for my Store and its Worked https://bit.ly/2jSHWZ8

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
95 0 1

Great post! Facebook is the ultimate digital marketing topic of controversy, no doubt.

What I love about it is, there is nothing you can’t measure

Facebook’s metrics are astounding. Far more robust and hyper relevant than you might realize. Friends and family are always asking me about this. They are shocked with how much data we can see in Facebook and all the things you can optimize for.

But here’s the misconception. Merchants can see data on more than just purchases, clicks, impressions, and so on. Facebook has almost every metric you can think of to understand and gain better insight into why your ad is working or isn't working. If you're running a video ad, you can see metrics like average video watch time, how many people watched fifty percent of your video, how many people watch all of your video, cost per three second video view, etc. That’s unprecedented. Advertisers in the past would have killed for this kind of market feedback.

In fact, if you're running a brand awareness or video views campaign, you can estimate the ad recall lift, which is an estimate of the number of people who might remember your ad when asked within two days. It's unbelievable. And it's all useful information that goes beyond the basics like click-through rate, impressions and conversion. The best part is, when you get super granular, that’s when it gets deeply insightful.

Anyway, if you want more info, we just blogged about this: https://bit.ly/2sJ0gYq

Happy marketing and good luck to ya

Kevin Simonson is the CEO of Metric Digital, a performance marketing agency in New York City that focuses on driving revenue and customers through for ecommerce business via online advertising, email and other digital marketing channels.
0 Likes
16 0 0

Hiya, can you create a video for me?

www.emandahr.com

Art of an acquired taste.
0 Likes
8 0 0

Super helpful for me thanks.

I just wanted to confirm a few things. So your customer is making $232 per sale on average? that seems quite high for a baby clothing. I'm selling art, so I'll need to find art interest/conversion rates, know any good places to find that?

Secondly you said:

"he needs 541,000 impressions AT LEAST to generate interest for his clients.

We assume 20% of impressions are lost because ad platforms are not perfect, so the client needs 649,000 impression to reach his goal"

It looks like you did 541,000 * 1.2 = 649,200

so if we have 649,200 and we lose 20% that leaves us at only 519,360 not 541,000.

I think what you wanted to do was 541,000 / 0.8 = 676,250

then if we have 676,250 and we lose 20% we end up with, 541,000. Which was the desired amount.

thanks again!

0 Likes
8 0 0

Also Alex, when you mention frequency do you mean per ad or just across the entire campagin/ad set?

The reason I ask is that people might get annoyed seeing the exact same advert 7-20 times, but a mixture of adverts from each of your ad batches I can imagine more. Would this mean keeping your ads all to the same audience so they get a rounded feel for your company.

Also I read facebook doesn't like frequency being too high. 2 impressions per day per person (4 if they're following you). Also if you optimize for link clicks facebook stops showing your ad after 3-4 times, and tries someone new. If you optimize for impressions it doesn't cap it by default.

Another thing to be aware of is that as frequency goes up relevance can go down, if people aren't clicking/interacting with your ads then facebook can decrease your relevance and thus increase your costs.

How did you calculate the advertising budget? Was it just looking at how much you need to have a reach of 541,000 on an audience of 77,300 people over a 1 month period?

Thanks! 

0 Likes