New Store - High Traffic Zero Conversions

Tourist
11 0 2

I'd love to have a concrete answer as well, but I think I already know it: I'm a jewelry designer of fine art jewelry and buyers want trendy crap Made in China.   I don't do trendy and I never will because that's not my shtick.   The writing is on the wall.   Time to move on to a site that only deals with wholesale buyers. We artists need time in the studio.  I barely get enough hours to draw, create and design and I just CANNOT spend all the time that is required for this SEO business.    Arghhhhh!  

0 Likes
2 0 0

This! Resonates with me hard, don't get me wrong i knew it wouldn't be easy, in its own field of hardship and demand it is actually really hard so i have found, i come from a labour/builder background and decided i would stop destroying my lower back, one of the things i have found hardest was selling myself and what efforts in a new "unknown" field to family and friends to get the share factor and still only a handful of my personal connections know.

I acrued 30k veiws monthly within the first couple months with only a couple sales and obviously not knowing really what i was/am doing it was a little debilitating yeah like if all those veiws spent $1 i would be SO! happy haha. I believe this is where the mindset of "i could start something small and earn alot of money" starts to crumble. 

My store is on pause atm i have in mind a list of things i am doing wrong aside from internal stuff like tracking sources etc but if you have a couple moments i would really appreciate if i could get you critique pretty please.

~GnS 

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 5

First I'll just say what everyone who inevitably visits this thread (now that it's been pushed out by the email list) is going to be thinking: seeing everyone in these threads push their SEO metrics, courses, masterminds, and services really gets old. It's kind of like having an acquaintance who's in an MLM scheme, and every time they invite you to their place for dinner it turns into a sales pitch five minutes into your meal. Its incredibly tiresome and it doesn't help this forum ecosystem.

With that said, there are so many links in the touch-to-sale chain that it's impossible to list a single thing as generally being "the" problem with poor sales. Roughly this is what a seller should evaluate in very broad terms:

1. Is the product/service a good value that is unique to my shop - if not, find a new product/service to offer
  2. Do I have an actionable plan for logistics and scaling in case I actually succeed - if you don't plan to succeed you probably won't
  3. Is my product/service especially applicable to a targetable niche - if not, emphasize branding to make it so
  4. Is my product/service flashy and lifestyle oriented? If so, become a social media marketing expert (as much as possible)
  5. Does my product/service alleviate a pain point? If so, become a Google/Bing search ad expert (as much as possible)
  6. Am I selling a mundane product, such as toiletry or other consumables? If so, become a branding and marketing (that is to say - communication) expert (as much as possible) and utilize Bing/Google Merchant ads, consider becoming a Google trusted buyer, get trusted reviews, etc.
  7. In any case, be at least decent at all of 4, 5 and 6 no matter what you sell
  8. If on a tight budget, learn how to write the best copy possible on your landing pages, writing copy costs nothing, doesn't require a nice camera, design skills, anyone can do it, etc. This is the easiest bang/buck for most store owners. Good copy. Obviously landing pages should be product pages for most shops.
  9. If on a medium budget, hire a professional photographer and at least get professional hero shots for key products or services at a minimum
  10. If on a comfortable budget, have all your banners, ad images, and key hero shots at a minimum be professional, and consider producing at least one quality video illustrating how your product improves the user's life, one video can be used for FB ads, Google Video ads, on-page demos, etc. etc. You can squeeze a lot out of one good video. Emphasis good.
  11. Get your page speed optimized for your most important 3 landing pages (at a minimum) - should cost less than $150 for most
  12. Put your face all over your about us section and put a video on it, faceless ECOM is dying and new faceless stores are not rising (not well at least). Stop being shy. If you think you are going to succeed in a bathrobe from your basement without ever putting your face/name alongside your products, just stop now.
  13. Use simple branding best practices (color, typography, logo, etc.) and spend the $180 for a feature-rich theme
  14. Do not, do not, do not skimp on apps that you actually need. Especially not when you first launch. Additionally, unless you are marketing to low-end buyers, get rid of any app that makes your store feel cheap (beeketing comes to mind), many of them absolutely ruin your page speed in addition to cheapening your brand
  15. Stop watching YouTube videos of high-school dropouts who got rich selling t-shirts from Facebook and then moved to Shopify 1-2 years ago. Just stop.

Ok 15 is a bit tongue in cheek, but anyway I could keep going. There are so many potential points of failure for an ECOM store and the data necessary to discover what it is is rarely budgeted by newbies. If you are just starting out, every link you create should have UTM tracking, no matter where you post it, even if it's an email to your family saying "yay we launched." Google analytics shouldn't even need to be mentioned it's such an obvious must. The Lucky Orange (not affiliated) is worth every cent for the first few months at least.

A newbie ECOM entrepreneur should expect to be either contracting numerous experts ($$$) to optimize several aspects of their store/brand/marketing/etc. or be spending 10 hours a day learning as much as humanly possible. And then learning some more...on top of taking action.

3 Likes
Tourist
15 0 2

Hey bro I got some problems with Facebook messenger and I couldnt get back to u. Are we gonna work together?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hey Alasdair,

Do you know where the traffic is coming in from? Shopify has some great reporting tools further to that Google analytics is really helpful in these circumstances.

Thanks
Zack

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
104 0 13

Aww, I had a big rant lined up, mainly towards James. But unfortunately, Shopify logged me out.  

Zeno - I wrote this topic over a month ago, I didn't realise Shopify would post it in their mailing list. Apologies if that has annoyed you in any way.  

To summarise, 

It was purely for a rant, not to sell services.

If you're in it for the money, your gonna lose, this shit takes time, put in the work.

Alasdair

Hi Crumel, ping me a message. 

Ocean One SEO - Transforming Businesses - 1 to 1 Online Consulting Services Available. Check out the website for details.
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
104 0 13

Hi Zack,

Read the original post.

Ocean One SEO - Transforming Businesses - 1 to 1 Online Consulting Services Available. Check out the website for details.
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

I take a different approach to our website.... (we are turning over 7 figures p/a on the website). I don't actually look at the amount of traffic I get & I pay no attention to how many are converted into sales, I don't do Adwords & I don't do SEO.

I am a little 'old school'... I go and find where my customers are and then I communicate to to them there and bring them to my website. For example there are many Facebook forums (this is just one small example) so I go and contribute on those forums and then when an opportinity arises to promote my website I do. I have done this so well that now others actually refer my website.

I go out into my industry and communicate to people. I don't stay behind my computer. 

I go out and ask my customers what do they want from me? What is needed from me? I really survey what is actually wanted and then deliver just that. 

I go out into the world and look who my customers are, and contact them the old school way by sending out promotions in the mail. 

I do give aways of free samples and post it out to them, so then I forever have their email addresses and postal addresses and then email & send them mail often. 

When we send out packages to people who have purchased off our website, we always write a handwritten note, include some treats (like chocolate) and a discount voucher or some promotion for their next purchase. (I admit sometimes this is a little tolling on my staff when we are sending out so many packages per day! But they get into it and buy stickers and fun coloured pens etc). 

Yes all these methods are a little old fashioned, but they all work. 

So my advise is yes, still do adwords, SEO etc...those things all work. But also apply some old school principles with your business and get out there and find out who your customers are, find out what they want from you as a business, prepare to deliver those wants, and communicate to them. 

Our website is www.lockslash.com.au 

1 Like
3 0 0

The problem is: Most people just don't know the basics/fundamentals of marketing.

As Dan Kennedy once said, "Marketing is: Getting the right message to the right people via the right media and methods -- effectively, efficiently, and profitably."

Most people skimp out on all 3 of these aspects of marketing: the message, the market, AND media.

They think they can just slap a store together and people will come in droves to buy. But, unfortunately, that's not how business (or real life) works.

I have multiple stores that generated sales from the get-go, and that was because I took the time to decide who my market was, what message I wanted to send them, and which 'vehicle' I wanted to use to get my message in front of them.

It's as simple as that. 

First, you gotta start with the market. Who do you want to sell to? Most people will have a general idea but they don't really get down to the nitty gritty details of who EXACTLY they're selling to. There's always sub-niches within niches that are highly profitable (and smarter to target than wider 'pools'). 

The message is also as important as the market. If you don't have a unique selling proposition, then there's no reason anyone should buy from you. And remember, you need to think of it from your customers' perspective. What do they want? Why would they want to buy? What is the hidden benefit here they're trying to achieve? A nice car will get you from point A to point B, but that's not why people buy nice cars... they buy them for status, for the ADRENALINE of going fast, for feeling like a GOD, etc.

Finally, what media to use. This one is simple if you've figured out who your market is. Every medium nowadays has a way to target your market with pinpoint accuracy. Doesn't matter if it's online (Facebook, Google, IG) or offline (direct mail, joint ventures, etc.)... there's always a way to get your message in front of your exact target market.

Obviously, there's smaller details you need to know to optimize your marketing success, but... for the most part, if people can get these 3 things down, then they'll start to see a good amount of success.

From there it's just a matter of testing different offers and different things on your site to try to cut down costs while maximizing conversion rates. 

But... without all these 3 things in place, no matter how much traffic you get... or no matter how much money you spend on advertising... you won't create a profitable store. That's the bitter (yet enlightening) truth. 

0 Likes
1 0 0

One of the thing I am struggling is the website design requirement for mobile are way different then desktop. Responsive design by itself doesn't cut it. Also to filter out the junk traffic is extremely hard so best way to go is with a some rough estimates.

www.sarangcollection.com

0 Likes