Newbie Looking for Direction!

Melissa_Medina
13 0 0

Hello, 

I recently started my website: www.bellamelissaboutique.com

I am ready to market it, however need some help with it.  I'd like to start with Facebook/Instagram Ads to build my FB page audience (which only has 6 likes).  I have been reading blogs and watching videos and trying to pull my resources but found that I am easily distracted and it's all scattered in my head so need some help sorting through it.

I'm creating a FB ad and my goal is to gain a FB audience of highly targeted consumers.  Under the Marketing Objective, which is best for my goal, Traffic or Engagement?

After selecting my objective and naming my campaign, do I select Post Engagement or Page Likes? (When I select one or the other, how does that effect my ad?)

I understand I will need to run some test ads, however a little direction would be helpful as far as audience. For my product (women's handbags, wallets, sunglasses), how specific should I be when selecting my audience. 

This will help me get started.  After I create my audience, I'll fidget around some more.  

Also, my website is not coming up on google search, any suggestions to help that?

Thank you in advance for your advice/help!

Melissa

0 Likes
Alex_Cornelson
Shopify Partner
19 0 6

Hi! At first you should go for creating an audience! Remember, the people who see your ads are strangers and no nothing about you, so you need to give them content of value NOT THE hey I'M SELLING THIS SO BUY PLZ!

Instead, go for traffic, and use content that engages the viewer and not neccessarily sells him/her. That will build you an audience.

CHECK OUT ghiblibusiness.com  for more help regarding SEO!!

Thanks!

Shopili_com
Tourist
42 0 1

Hi Melissa!

We understand that SEO, marketing and ads can be fairly overwhelming at times. There is just so much to do as a store owner. You are not alone when you say you feel muddled. We can't do everything ourselves really, and need a helping hand here and there.

What you really need to decide is whether you need someone to be a consultant for you, or actually manage some of the tasks for you. A consultant will help and teach you on the best methods - whereas obviously an expert can take some tasks completely off your hands.

We're up to discuss if you'd like. If you need some help deciding or advice feel free to contact me (Jo) on hello@shopili.com.

Jo 

Shopili.com

http://shopili.com Verified Shopify Experts
0 Likes
Akanksha
Excursionist
42 0 6

Hi Melissa,

Congratulations on starting your store. That’s a great step :slightly_smiling_face: 

Since you’ve just started, I’d suggest start with Brand Awareness as your campaign objective. In Brand Awareness, Facebook shows your ad to people who are most likely to respond to your ad. If you decide to try awareness as objective, run the ad for at least a few days. This gives Facebook also time to assess which audience is working. Your story is so unique, it can be a nice story to spread the word about your brand. You can write a blog article with a catchy title and promote that article. If writing an article seems something that you can't get to right now, run a general ad for 'Bella Melissa Boutique'. Something like one stop shop for fashion. 

You mentioned that you were thinking of starting with an ad for page likes. In my opinion, that probably won’t be as productive. Even if you do get a lot of page likes, eventually, for those likes to convert into sales, you’ll have to post heavily. And even then, Facebook shows posts to only 2% of the audience. That means that if you have 100 people who like your page, your post will be shown to about 2 people. 

Remember one thing while running ads, the most important thing is to get the audience right. If your audience is right, only then will you see some conversions. Without the right audience, you can have the prettiest creative with the best copy and you’ll still see low conversions.

There are three ways of defining / getting audience - customize, share, retarget.

In customize, you create an audience based on demography, interest, location, etc. This is what you’re doing. I think this is the toughest to get right. Your niche has to be extremely specific and defined for this.

The second one is sharing audience. Works really well. For this all you need to do is find partners who are selling complimentary items and establish a good enough relation for them to share their Facebook audience. Although it works, finding such partners and working on this collaboration can take a lot of time. For our Ads, we are doing this, but it needs dedicated effort and energy.

The third and I think the best for you in long term is retargeting. This takes effort as well, but the effort is mostly towards driving traffic organically to your website. You need to place a Facebook pixel on your website and then you can run ads specifically for people who visit your website. The best part is that these people have a context. These ads have better conversions.

To drive traffic to your website, try OrangeTwig. With OrangeTwig, you’ll be able to promote your products and other types of engagement builders (A/B, tag a friend, quotes, etc) in professional designs with just a few clicks.

Here’s what I am talking about:

As far as the ease of growing following is concerned, Instagram is leading the way. All you need to do is post beautiful content and include right hashtags in your post text. OrangeTwig’s hashtag research tool will be perfect for this. Learn more about the hashtag research tool here.

Another thing that I feel really helps get traffic is posting different types of content. Here’s an article that’ll help you with ideas.

With OrangeTwig’s upcoming feature Q-rator, you’ll be able to post  content from around the web on social channels with just a few clicks.learn more about Q-rator here

I hope this helps. 

Good luck!

Akanksha 

https://goo.gl/iyAqha
0 Likes
Karan_Jassar
Pathfinder
186 0 31

Hi Melissa,

Congratulations on starting your store. That’s a great step :) 

Since you’ve just started, I’d suggest start with Brand Awareness as your campaign objective. In Brand Awareness, Facebook shows your ad to people who are most likely to respond to your ad. If you decide to try awareness as objective, run the ad for at least a few days. This gives Facebook also time to assess which audience is working. Your story is so unique, it can be a nice story to spread the word about your brand. You can write a blog article with a catchy title and promote that article. If writing an article seems something that you can't get to right now, run a general ad for 'Bella Melissa Boutique'. Something like one stop shop for fashion. 

You mentioned that you were thinking of starting with an ad for page likes. In my opinion, that probably won’t be as productive. Even if you do get a lot of page likes, eventually, for those likes to convert into sales, you’ll have to post heavily. And even then, Facebook shows posts to only 2% of the audience. That means that if you have 100 people who like your page, your post will be shown to about 2 people. 

Remember one thing while running ads, the most important thing is to get the audience right. If your audience is right, only then will you see some conversions. Without the right audience, you can have the prettiest creative with the best copy and you’ll still see low conversions.

There are three ways of defining / getting audience - customize, share, retarget.

In customize, you create an audience based on demography, interest, location, etc. This is what you’re doing. I think this is the toughest to get right. Your niche has to be extremely specific and defined for this.

The second one is sharing audience. Works really well. For this all you need to do is find partners who are selling complimentary items and establish a good enough relation for them to share their Facebook audience. Although it works, finding such partners and working on this collaboration can take a lot of time. For our Ads, we are doing this, but it needs dedicated effort and energy.

The third and I think the best for you in long term is retargeting. This takes effort as well, but the effort is mostly towards driving traffic organically to your website. You need to place a Facebook pixel on your website and then you can run ads specifically for people who visit your website. The best part is that these people have a context. These ads have better conversions.

To drive traffic to your website, try OrangeTwig. With OrangeTwig, you’ll be able to promote your products and other types of engagement builders (A/B, tag a friend, quotes, etc) in professional designs with just a few clicks.

As far as the ease of growing following is concerned, Instagram is leading the way. All you need to do is post beautiful content and include right hashtags in your post text. OrangeTwig’s hashtag research tool will be perfect for this. Learn more about the hashtag research tool here.

Another thing that I feel really helps get traffic is posting different types of content. Here’s an article that’ll help you with ideas.

With OrangeTwig’s upcoming feature Q-rator, you’ll be able to post  content from around the web on social channels with just a few clicks.learn more about Q-rator here

Karan Jassar
Founder, https://Socioh.com
Make great ads for Free.
See demo with your store: https://socioh.com/demo?src=sig
Learn about ads here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/sellersuccess/?src=sig
0 Likes
Hira
20 0 0

Hi Melissa, 

Be sure to index your site with popular search engines so it will show up higher in search results. You can do this for free here --> http://www.entireweb.com/free_submission/#613063

0 Likes
rito
Shopify Partner
255 1 48

Hi Melissa,

If you're looking for a cost-effective way to drive quality traffic to your store, check out the Ads app: 

Free Ads Exchange - https://apps.shopify.com/ads

——————————————————————————————————————————————

Free Trust Seals with Reviews Generation - https://apps.shopify.com/trust

Free Conversion Checkout Timer - https://apps.shopify.com/conversion

Cheers,

Ryoma

Utilize Trust Seals with Reviews Generation to increase your sales conversions - https://apps.shopify.com/trust
0 Likes
FutureLife
3 0 0

Learn how to target specific zip codes using the ArcGis Business Analysist platform.  It's pretty badass how much info you can pull from it.  Do the free trial and then spend a day pulling some marketing info.  

0 Likes
Vanessa_Henley
1 0 0

Hey

if it's Facebook likes you are after and gaining a following on Facebook then you need to run engagement ads. Just £5 a day with a few products to start with is fine. 

Your website looks  a little muddled. Maybe put less products on the home page? Also make sure images are the same size and that they line up. It looks like you have some nice products but they are a little lost with that horrid black background. Try something cleaner- ideally white! Anyway if you start the engagement ads you will see the likes come rolling in.

0 Likes
tom_t1
3 0 0

I have found this works well and costs less.

Find a like minded company in something like jewellery ( i pick this example as it matches what we do and would work well on our site- but we are UK) that you have something in common with/same target audiance. Ask if you can do a competition where they give away one of your hand bags etc. They can tag you in the post and have your logo on the picture, you can even do an emai entry so you collect emails. Build a brand recognition from this then you can target adverts to a companies followers. this then at least give you an audiance who have seen your brand and also is YOUR target customers. This should cost no more than the handbag (at cost) and a bit of time contacting a few companies. 

Once you have done this you can repeat. You could email them sorry you didnt win, but here is a voucher for XX% off... make sure its a good discount for them to jump and almost treat it as a loss leader to get order and then work to retain them.

Facebook marketing teams can also do a phone call and give you advise and there are some Youtube videos out there to explain it all any. DO NOT pay for any of the "secret to getting customers" or the magic Audiance building Software  from 3rd parties as facebook tool are actually really good.

Good Luck,

Tom

0 Likes