Newbie with Building Social Media Following

Highlighted
3 0 0

I'm just about to open my first store here, and while I'm VERY green, no pun intended, I'm not so green about drowning in all of this technology that you get so overwhelmed you just want to quit the Internet Marketing gig and go haul trash to the glue factory, if you catch my drift.  So, I know that I would LOVE to have a small following, like the Jimmy Buffet, Dead Head cult following (imagine that) chomping at the bit like rabid Black Friday shoppers, but what's the best way to start nurturing that following without getting so much in the weeds that the rest of my biz suffers from lack of attn.?

In fact, now that I mention it, I would love some very sage advice from crusty pros on setting some kind of percentages on where I should prioritize my time and effort because not only am I in school fulltime but with my ADHD I can so hyperfocus that everything begins to suffer. Would it be a good idea to hire a local high-school kid with maybe a fair incentive to "work" my social media following for maybe 3 months to get me humming good? Please don't laugh, I'm just throwing ideas on the table.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
27 0 3

So the key to social media is being social. Using your example of the Dead and Jimmy Buffet, why do you think they have such strong followers? They love music and both set of musicians had a passion for it. Have a passion for what you putting out there on social media and you will attract like minded people.

If you go the route of using a high school kid, make sure to find one that shares your similar mindset and passion for the message you are trying to convey.

Digital Marketing Strategist
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Point taken Benjamin.  Now, for my target audience, they are Male 18-45 yr. old upwardly mobile bachelors, and/or Dads. My slogan is "The shop for guys that don't like to shop", meaning, I sell anything from silly, tacky plastic pink flamingos for their man cave, to classy attire like cufflinks to add that Sean Connery touch, or any items that a Ernest Hemmingway "man's man would like.  So, having said that, should I upgrade my employee search to a college intern position?

I eagerly await your answer.

George 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 4

Hey Georges,

Don't overthink it, it's not that hard. Like Benjamin says it's important to be social, to interact with your community. Now if you have some budget allocated for that you can also advertise your profile to build your following faster. 

You can also hire a consultant that will take care of growing your social media account, it will probably cost you the same as the high school kid you want to take in. Elise Michel Consultants take $199 to manage the growth of all your account, and will publish some news about your profile online too, and you save all your time. Magic, right ?

Now if you insist on doing it alone, you will need to interact with potential audience members on a daily basis, so you will need to follow some, comment on some, like some's pictures etc. You will also need to post to keep your community aware of your existance. That might take a lot of time, which i'm sure will add up to a lot more than $199 per month, but it's your call. 

If you want to find customers on social media, you shouldn't focus on the followers number but on getting the customers. Then you will still have to interact with your audience, but if you spend any budget on advertising, I recommend NOT to promote your account, but the products. It really depends if you're trying to promote a person (model, entrepreneur, musician...) or to sell products.

I hope it helps, don't overthink it or get overwhelmed. Just hire someone from Elise Michel who has done it over and over again and focus on school and leading your business.

Alexandre Greffen Consultant at Elise Michel It's time to get people lining up to do business with you, don't hesitate to get in touch ! www.elisemichel.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
27 0 3

Unfortunately, I don't think I would be qualified in answering that question because I don't know your overall business position (e.g. budget, experience, goals, etc) 

I can answer it this way, though. The reason you would basically outsource this type of work is if you don't have the time to do it. I don't believe the nuances of social media (e.g. hashtags, sharing, likes, follows) or the technical aspects should be hinderance because those can be learned as you go.

In terms of whether to hire an college intern, high school student, or even a professional comes down to your budget and the quality of the posts you want are willing to pay for. 

Hope that helps.

Digital Marketing Strategist
0 Likes