Optimizing collection page for a keyword (and failing)

Highlighted
Tourist
60 0 1

Hello users,

I've been trying to optimise this collection page http://www.architecturaldecor.co.uk/collections/antique-door-handles for the main keyword 'antique door handles' secondary keyword 'antique door knobs'. Mid Feburary I changed the URL, title and description and it started to move up the google rankings. I then tidied up all the products in that collection (titles, ALT tags, etc) and the ranking went up again to #13 however over the last week or so its dropped down to #18 and today I've noticed its now dropped to page 3 (whats more frustrating is 90% of those ranked in front of me don't sell antique door handles). 

When I tidied up the product descriptions I was using the terms 'antique door handles' & 'antique door knobs' more often.

Have I overdone it with the keyword use in the product pages? or am I missing something more fundamental.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
500 1 56

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting on the forums, this sounds super frustrating for you when you have put in so much work!

I can't claim to be a SEO wizard by any means, however I think these 2 articles do well to explain why your rankings might fall and what you can do about this! 

10 Reasons Your SEO Rankings Dropped And What To Do About It and 6 Types of Google Ranking Drops and How to Deal with Them

I also wanted to share this free app Analytics Buddy that might be useful helping you observe traffic coming into and moving through your store, and where customers might exit as well!

I hope this helps,

Anne :)

0 Likes
Highlighted

To me it reads over-optimized Paul. Chances are, Google can notice this stuff too, particularly when it has historical records of what the page used to be like.

Don't ignore off-page SEO. Good links are important and will be one of the primary reasons your competitors are ahead.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi Paul,

Checked your page. In terms of on page SEO it seems quiet ok but you can check it all with any checker like seositecheckup.com.

But the most important thing you are missing are backlinks as Joshua said in previous comment. Backlinks from relevent sites with high DA (Domain authority) will hel a lot. Try sharing your page more on social media regularly.

regards, Tamal S. Head of Digtal Marketing, Around.io
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
60 0 1

Thanks for your reply, yes I know what you mean I was trying to reinforce that this collection page are antiques not reproductions (most of the Co's that rank higher for those keywords sell reproductions). More importantly 2 relevant good quality links dropped off which has affected the ranking so I need to put some work in and find some more.

Thanks again,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Hi Paul

You may have hit the limit of what your content can realistically achieve, or you have over-optimised (stuffed keywords). Look at your competition and see if they have more incoming links than you (use Google Search Console) and also check your keywords (use cartangel.com free check or similar).

0 Likes