Solved

Page titles too long - Includes business name

drichardson
Excursionist
22 0 5

UPDATE: I think I fixed it by removing the line of code below. If anyone reads this please let me know if I did the right thing. 

Capture.JPG

UPDATE:  I just looked at the themes code and although I'm not good at coding I see something in the theme liquid file that looks like it's instructing the site to add the "shop name" to the end. WHY? This is crazy... now it has caused all my pages to be over the 70 character recommendation for page titles. 

Can anyone tell me please how to fix this? I'm beginning to not like this theme after all. 

I don’t know if this is a theme issue or something that is auto generated by Shopify. But it’s suggested to enter up to 70 characters for an SEO page name. However many of my pages are warning they are too long because they all include a dash at the end and the name of my business. I didn’t put that in the page titles but this is how it’s showing up for SEO. Is this a theme issue or a Shopify default issue? I just started using the Empire theme which by the way has issues with the add to cart button Pixel Union is suppose to be looking into but after over a week is still unresolved. 😡 but that’s a different topic. 

My pages are being indexed like this…appending my business name at the end.  

Chihuahua Beach Towels - Chihuahua Designed Towels for Dog Lovers — R3 Pet Gear

Accepted Solution (1)

Bunty
Shopify Partner
133 39 82

This is an accepted solution.

Yes that's correct. I was looking for a similar question I had recently responded to pass to you, but couldn't find it.

Just a note, don't remove the </title>

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

Bunty
Shopify Partner
133 39 82

This is an accepted solution.

Yes that's correct. I was looking for a similar question I had recently responded to pass to you, but couldn't find it.

Just a note, don't remove the </title>

Bunty
Shopify Partner
133 39 82

@drichardson thank you, you are far too kind. You solved the problem yourself, I commend you.

All the best!

KaiDavis
Excursionist
10 1 1

You did it the absolute right way. For anyone following that wants to remove their page title from their Shopify titles, this is the right way.

HOWEVER! It isn't bad to have page titles that are over 70 characters. Google has said that they evaluate the whole title (https://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-title-tag-length/400682/), not just the first ~70 characters.

So, @drichardson : What you did here is absolutely fine. But it isn't necessary. Google will read (and still love) the whole page title even if it's > 70 characters.

(All that said, there are probably much better uses of the space in the page title. I'm excited to hear what you've done with the space.)

Kai Davis is Your Shopify Growth Guy • CEO/Founder of Double Your Ecommerce
Feel free to say hi or ask a Shopify growth or SEO question: kai@doubleyourecommerce.com

CRHS
Visitor
1 0 1

The store name is good to have for ecommerce in all pages when you have a strong brand presence. If you are a small store and do not have many people search your brand, begin with excluding the store name from your title tag—the store name takes up character space to dilute keyword value. Use this instead:

<title>{{ page_title }}{% if current_tags %} &ndash; tagged "{{ current_tags | join: ', ' }}"{% endif %}{% if current_page != 1 %} &ndash; Page {{ current_page }}{% endif %}</title>

LoveMadEye
Visitor
1 0 0

Thank you so much, i just realized i was having the same issue and had no clue how to fix it!