Pop-up Coupon/Discount Codes Questions

Solved
Tourist
29 0 0

Hey guys. Was wondering how to make it so that when someone signs up with their e-mail on the popup coupon, it'll immediately show them the intended discount code.

Also, how would I be able to change the text that shows after one has signed up for the newsletter? Instead of just saying "Thanks for joining our mailing list!"

And I'm not very familiar with how discount codes work, but I wouldn't want it to be something someone can just abuse over and over. Is it normally a one time use thing for customers and if it is, would there be a way for them to get around it? Like, using another email when checking out, etc. Thanks!

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
192 17 40

Hi, @MichaelChuwee!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

This is a great question. How are you currently handling your pop-up form at the moment? If you haven't already added the pop-up to your website, I recommend using Privy to do so. This app is specifically meant for pop-ups and capturing email newsletter subscribers. It's also one of the most popular apps in our App Store and it has some great reviews. Best of all, it's super easy to install and has a free plan. 

With Privy, you can instantly add a pop-up to your website and choose when and where you'd like it to appear. You can also customize the pop-up itself with your own messaging and branding. Once you have the pop-up enabled, you can choose to either have the discount code automatically emailed to the customer after they fill out the subscription form, or you can have it appear in the pop-up itself, alongside the "Thanks for joining our mailing list!" message, which sounds like this is exactly what you're looking for. Privy actually has a help doc on how to set this up, which you can check out here. Their instructions include videos as well, making it pretty easy to follow along.

If you're using another app to display pop-ups on your website, or if this is a feature built-in to your theme, then you can still create a discount and add that discount code to the pop-up after the customer has submitted their information. Doing so will likely involve some custom code, so if you aren't too comfortable with HTML, then it may be best to reach out to a Shopify Expert or someone with experience in web development. 

As you mentioned you aren't too familiar with how discount codes work, I thought I'd share our help doc on creating discount codes, which should clear things up. This help doc goes over the different types of discounts you can create within Shopify and how you can choose to offer them. For example, you can choose to limit a discount code to one use per customer, or even restrict its use to certain products. Once you create a discount in Shopify, all you need to do is share the code with your customers. You can do this through your advertising campaigns, word of mouth, and even as a thank-you to email subscribers, which is exactly what you're going for!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions at all. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Tourist
29 0 0

Hi Julie. Much appreciated. I currently have a theme that allows me to customize and add my own pop-up, but unfortunately no instant discount code showing up right as one signs up -- hence where my problem came from.

Will definitely check Privy out and give it a try and check out the article regarding discount codes. Will also think about seeing how to add a code just for the sake of knowing.

Thanks for the links and suggestions!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
192 17 40

Gotcha! So, to add the discount code to the existing pop-up in your theme will definitely involve some custom coding. In your case, I believe that Privy will be the best option; it's really simple to use and also gives you a lot of control over the customization without requiring any code. 

Familiarizing yourself with how discounts work is a really good idea. Once you've created one, you can even include it in your online ads, giving customers that extra incentive to make a purchase. It's also something you can take advantage of as we gear up towards Black Friday Cyber Monday. In fact, it's probably a good time to start thinking about potential marketing campaigns for this time! As you do so, I recommend checking out our "Black Friday Checklist: 27 Tips to Prepare Your Store for Black Friday Cyber Monday". There are some great ideas in there to help inspire you as you get ready for the biggest selling opportunity of the year. 

Have you thought about Black Friday Cyber Monday yet? Do you have any marketing campaigns or promotions in mind? 

1 Like
Tourist
29 0 0

Hi Julie! Thanks again!

I still haven't gotten around to doing Privy as I've been really just trying to learn a few new things and overall just looking for some products that I feel like I'd be able to sell. I did learn how to offer discount codes, and actually gave one out to my customer when I had issues with my own payment. I'll check the checklist out, meanwhile, I'm also figuring out how to get an automated email list for re-targeting and capturing leads along with overall just learning how to market. I guess you can say that everything I'm trying to learn and do right now is just me in the process of getting ready for the later months of this year!

Appreciate it again!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
192 17 40

You're very welcome! It's great to hear that you're familiar with how to create discount codes.

As for email marketing, this is definitely something that can help boost brand recognition, increase sales and even help create repeat customers. There's definitely a lot to learn when it comes to email marketing, but we have quite a few resources I think you'll find particularly useful. Here are a few I recommend checking out:

Have you already selected an email marketing app yet? Omnisend and Klayvio are quite popular, but Privy also offers a built-in email marketing feature you might want to take advantage of; if you plan on using this app for your pop-up, then it might make the most sense to stick with them for email marketing as well. For more options, feel free to check out our complete list of email marketing apps here

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions, Michael. 

0 Likes