Privacy concerns with Google Shopping App

Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 2

I would like to install the Google shopping app so that I can start marketing etc however when I have tried to install it gives me these warnings;

'Google Shopping will be able to access data such as customer names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, physical addresses, geolocations, IP addresses, and browser user agents.'

Is this allowed? Surely I am not allowed to just hand over my customers personal details?

'Google Shopping will be able to:  Manage other data - This includes payment gateways and resource feedbacks'

Why do I have to let Google have control of my payment gateways, how will I be protected against fraud and my customers being defrauded?

This sounds really ominous - how do I know this is safe?

Thanks in advance

Kristina

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Google shopping app is developed by Shopify, the same company that operates your store. The warning is just a formal alert to let you know that you are sharing the information with that app.

This app makes it easy for you to connect your shopify store with google merchant  account and display your products in google sponsored shopping ads. this is not a big concern like you think. it just makes things easier. 

SEO Research Blog - https://research.rankedy.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
721 24 239

Hey, Kristina!

Aria here, one of the Social Care gurus at Shopify.

Calvin is correct. The Google Shopping Channel was developed by Shopify. When you're installing it, we have a legal obligation to let you know what the app will be able to access. It wouldn't be able to function correctly without that information. Any app or channel you use that helps you sell your products will require access to information in your store in order to work. We would never allow your data or your customer's data to be used inappropriately. It is just being used for the purpose of providing you with the service you have signed up for. Certain information such as credit card details is encrypted and can't be accessed by anyone. Google Shopping does require access to your payment gateway in order to complete a sale though.

If you'd like to read Shopify's Privacy Policy, you can find it here.

If you have specific concerns, please let me know so that I can help you out further.

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 2

Ok thanks guys, just wanted to check as it did look like I was signing my privacy away!

Regards

Kristina :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
721 24 239

No problem. Have a great weekend!

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes