Problems with duplicated content, no help from Shopify

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

I have  my primary domain set as filliesandboots.com

As third-party domains I have:

www.filliesandboots.com (automatically created  following this guide: https://help.shopify.com/manual/domains/connecting-existing-domains/setting-up-your-domain)

it.filliesandboots.com (created for Italian translation with Langify)

en.filliesandboots.com (Langify told me to create it)

Now, I cannot redirect all my traffic to the primary domain from Shopify panel because of the Italian version of the site, but this determines that the other domains are all duplicated!

I set filliesandboots.com as preferred domain in Google searche Console, but this does not make any improvement to my SEO because the three different domains have all the same content.

What should I do? I would like to set a 301 redirect to the primary domain for both www. and en. version of the site, but it is impossibile to redirect the www version since in the control panel of my hosting it is not possible to do that without changing the DSN settings. 

Any suggestion?

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
50 0 2

Hi,

If same content using on different ccTLD like then that won't be considered as duplicate content. I am sharing Matt Cutts video on this.Please watch once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNApwW2KdKQ&index=199&list=UUWf2ZlNsCGDS89VBF_awNvA

If there's a reason to have both sites live then instead of a 301 (which would only show the content from one site) you could use a canonical (if the content can't be updated to something different enough) and chose the main of the two sites.

Or Simply Google for: Different domains with the same content

Hope this helps you

Jodyshop Technologies, Inc. @ Jodyshop.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
23 0 5

Hi Fab!

We have a fast solution for you - Geo Targeting app with redirection pop-ups. It will detect the location of the visitor and offer to go to the domain you link. This will not solve your SEO issue, but at least will help your to manage your traffic. Here's a 30% discount for you - SECRET30.

As far as I know, for subdomains Google recommends creating separate property in Search Console. If you ever decide to close the claimed property, you can inform Google engine about that by using Change of Address tool which can be found in the "wheel" preferences in the top right corner on the dashboard. After that, Google will redirect traffic to the new domain and will consider it as primary (and rank accordingly) avoiding content duplication conflict, which is good for SEO.

Hope this will help. Keep in touch!

We develop complex ecommerce solutions for e-shops, marketplaces, manufacturers, dealers and retailers. https://goo.gl/VoUZNT
0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
191 3 12

It looks like you only need your primary domain, and the Italian version URL, but got extra domain: en.filliesandboots.com. First, I would suggest you to check if there is anyway to delete extra domain URL as you don't need another English version but your primary domain is site in English. 

Second, you could set up redirecting correctly to auto route visitors based on their locations. It prevents visitors getting lost among your domains and bring local to visitors immediately, boosting customer conversions. Thus, regardless which website URLs your visitors click on, for example, if he is in Italy, he will auto get redirected to correct Italian URL, others may auto direct to your default URL. You can use Geo Targetly, specifically, Geo Redirect tool. It detects your visitors locations  based on their IP and auto redirect them. You can create location rules within a few steps, each locations associated with correct URL for individual market.

When it comes to your concern of duplicate content and the potential impact on your SEO, it is a common issue for multiple-regional sites. You can use hreflang tag to tell google your site structure. It helps avoid SEO penalty of duplicate content from google, and help google rank only relevant pages for your visitors from particular countries. For example, only showing your Italian version domain in search result for your Italian visitors. 

The hreflang tag consist of 3 attributes:

rel="alternate"
Tells the search crawler that there is an alternate variation of the page present

href="exampleURL.com  "
Used to specify the actual alternate URL

hreflang="en-gb"
Used to specify the language and country

The first portion en specifies the language in ISO 639-1 format 
The second portion gb is optional and specifies the country using the ISO 2 letter country code 

For your case, here is a multi-lingual site example target different languages that you can refer to:

<link rel="alternate" href="exampleURL.com/" hreflang="x-default"/>
<link rel="alternate" href="exampleURL.com/de/" hreflang="de"/>

You can read the post on details of how to set up hreflang tags: https://geotargetly.com/hreflang-seo-guide-for-multilingual-regional-websites

0 Likes