Product page Titles and SEO

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
44 0 0

Hi,

In our product page, we have the option to set the page 'Title' in the title box on the top.  I also see there is an  option to set the title of the page in the bottom of the product page under 'Search engine listing preview......Edit website SEO' including meta description and url of the page.

I wanted to know for Google SEO purposes which one is more important?  I'm going to guess the title set using the 'Search enging listing preview' takes precedence.  Does it mean I can I have all products in my shop named similarly in the 'Title' box on the top of the product page BUT have it all different in the title for 'Search engine listing preview'?

thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
537 0 83

Hey, there! 

Savannah here from the Shopify Guru Team. :) 

I just wanted to reach out to let you know that I'm moving this thread to our E-Commerce Marketing forum in hopes that we can get some additional eyes on this for you. 

Happy selling!

Savannah

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
44 0 0

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
58 0 11

Hey A L,

So each of these titles do different things:

The title at the top sets the Header on your actual page.

The title at the bottom is what people will see on Google when they search your business.

Now, when you ask which is more important, I will argue that the Title at the Top (The Page title) is most important. Let me explain why - Google will rank your website based on content on that page. They determine content what the a) Title reads and b) what the body reads. 

With a really well optimized page, Google picks you up. By then optimizing your Search Engine Listing Titles and Meta descriptions, Google has better insight into what you are offering on top of what they are already getting from your page.

In essence, the combo of Page Title + Keywords in Body + Search engine title & meta description + link url with keyword = Good SEO

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
84 0 9

I wanted to know for Google SEO purposes which one is more important?  I'm going to guess the title set using the 'Search enging listing preview' takes precedence. 

Yes, the information inside Search engine listing preview will be shown in google search result. So you better put in important keyword inside website title and meta description. 

Does it mean I can I have all products in my shop named similarly in the 'Title' box on the top of the product page BUT have it all different in the title for 'Search engine listing preview'?

Yes, correct. 

Some keywords will have more search volume but some will not. You can try SEO Product Optimizer to optimize the product page for better SEO. 

How to customize facebook share image of your store homepage? http://support.seo-product-optimizer.com/article/30-how-to-customize-facebook-share-image-on-shopify-homepage
0 Likes