Product pages not being indexed on google

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
36 0 1

Hi, my product pages are not being indexed on google.

site:commercialappliance.co.uk

I have 340 discovered, but not indexed pages with no known error.

I ran a test with screaming frog and lots of pages say "Non Indexable - Canonicalised"

How can i fix this? I have no idea what it means.. 

please help 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1906 121 300

Dear CALtd,

Submit product sitemap at search console also you can again try to index product by submitting each product manually 

Best Regards
MS Web Designer | MS Web International | Task4Store
Contact Us: Click Here | task4store@mswebdesigner.com
9.9/10 Customer Rating | 1000+ Happy Clients | 100% Satisfaction Or Money Back Guarantee
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @CALtd - Do the “Discovered - Not Indexed” product URLs contain /collections? If so, you can ignore them. You don’t want those URLs indexed in the first place because they’re duplicate product URLs. In Shopify, the same exact product can be viewed at yourstore.com/products/{product-name} and yourstore.com/collections/{collection-name}/products/{product-name} for every collection that product is a member of. The reason Screaming Frog says they’re not indexable is because Shopify automatically adds rel=“canonical” tags to each duplicate URL that points to the main product URL (a.k.a. the canonical URL, the only one you want Google to index). 

Kevin Wallner // SEO & Analytics Expert
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
- Ready to accelerate your SEO growth? Let's chat!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
36 0 1

Yes, and the canonical version is Indexable.

Does that mean its just a matter of time before it gets indexed?

many thanks

Jack

0 Likes
Highlighted

This is an accepted solution.

@CALtd you do not want these URLs indexed...

yourstore.com/collections/{collection-name}/products/{product-name}

These are the only URLs you want indexed...

yourstore.com/products/{product-name}

Google crawls anything it can get it's hands on by virtue of crawling links on your site, in your sitemap, and on other sites. In the case of your store, your theme is linking to the non-canonical (i.e. wrong) product URLs from collection pages like this one, and Google is crawling them and reporting them to you as a result. 

See here...

KevinW_0-1596135873981.png

The good news is, those URLs have a canonical tag pointing to the correct product URL. The bad news is, it's not the ideal setup. 

Again, you really don't need to do anything. But if you're a perfectionist like me, follow the directions below to tell your theme to link to the canonical product URLs on collection pages, courtesy of the Shopify SEO experts at Northcutt....

"To resolve this issue, you will need to edit the product-grid-item.liquid file so that it no longer references the collection in the URL. The template contains the following markup:

{{ product.url | within: collection }}

You need to edit this so that it says:

{{ product.url }}

This will update every URL so that it always refers to the top-level product version of this page."

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

@KevinW 

first of all we are not yet a shopify customers, but we are strongly thinking or exchanging our selfhosted shopsystem to shopify...

As non shopify user and german user, the url structure sems to long esp with collection

I havent seen any solution suitable solution, except  your reference with the /products/ structure

cant you go from

yourstore.com/products/{product-name}

to

regards

yourstore.com/{product-name}

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Robit I haven't come across any evidence that Google prefers the shortened URL structure you're proposing, so unless you have, I would just stick with Shopify's defaults and focus on successfully migrating your existing site to Shopify instead. That said, I do know of one solution (scroll to the "URL structure" section), but it's pretty technical so unless it's implemented perfectly, my guess is you'll create more problems for your site in the long run. Good luck! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I've the same issue. The site indexed in 2-3 days (2 weeks ago now) but the Product pages haven't been indexed yet. How long did you have to wait for your Product pages to be indexed as it looks like they are now shown?

thanks

Matt

0 Likes