Product pages not being indexed on google

Solved
mwhitehouse
Tourist
5 0 0

From what I can work out it doesn't matter if Google indexes the Collections page or the Product page for a particular product. If Google finds one of the pages it won't index the other - after all it's the same page just with a different URL and your products will be available on Google with either.

0 Likes

Hi @Monalisa01 ,

Glad to hear the template change worked! Google is notoriously slow at removing URLs from its index so I'm not surprised they're still there. It's not a big deal, but as a perfectionist, it bothers me to see them there lol.

should I manually submit index requests for /products pages in Search Console?

yes, but Google still uses its discretion, so this method may not actually speed up the indexing process.

should I submit a "removal" request in Search Console for those collection/products pages?

this might help, but only submit products for removal until you've confirmed the canonical URL has been indexed. it's better to have the non-canonical URL indexed than none at all.

should I 301 redirect collections/products to /products?

no, this isn't necessary and will only create a tangled mess of redirects to manage going forward. 

Kevin Wallner // SEO & Analytics Expert
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
- Ready to accelerate your SEO growth? Let's chat!

@mwhitehouse technically, it's not wise to neglect the SEO best practices for canonical tags and let Google figure everything out itself. It's true that users don't really care which URL they find in Google. As long as one of them gets indexed, your product will be available on Google. But what if a popular blog or news site reviews one of your products and you get a backlink to the wrong URL? This is why Shopify owners should care about getting their canonical tags sorted out - their product pages may be available in Google, but they might not reach their full ranking potential. If you want to learn more, this Ahrefs article does a good job of explaining why canonical tags are important.

Kevin Wallner // SEO & Analytics Expert
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
- Ready to accelerate your SEO growth? Let's chat!
Monalisa01
2 0 0

@KevinW Thank you, Kevin! This is super helpful. Glad to meet knowledgable people in this community like you

0 Likes
mwhitehouse
Tourist
5 0 0

Thanks Kevin. That article is really useful..... i suggest everyone reads it

Matt

0 Likes