Question for Shopify Experts: Your client asks for SEO. What do you do?

Highlighted
Shopify Expert
540 24 113

I'm a Shopify Expert with a focus on the German market (including Austria and Switzerland) helping mostly first-time ecommerce entrepreneurs set up their first online store. Besides the usual stuff that comes with setting up a Shopify store for clients, one thing that comes up time and time again is SEO. Potential and existing clients come to me and ask me to "SEO their store". Like I just wave a magic SEO wand and they show up in Google somehow.

I have a basic understanding of SEO, but I'm by no means an expert, nor do I want to be. I usually tell clients there are on-page factors that they can basically take care of by using their relevant keywords in page titles and content and linking their store internally well. Most if not all themes from the Theme Store are well-structured for on-page SEO as far as I can tell, so all you really need to do in that regard is a) know what your potential customers are searching for and b) use relevant keywords in your hopefully readworthy content.

The other part of the equation is off-page SEO, which I usually tell clients is a long-term effort that involves many different things from link building to PR, social media, etc. I don't really want to get involved in this too much, so I keep it simple. And so far I've never sent a client a quote for SEO "stuff".

I'm curious as to how other Shopify Experts handle this. And not just the dedicated SEO Experts. I'm sure all Experts get these questions from clients and I'm also pretty sure that not all of us are actual SEO experts.

So how do you handle this? Do you have partners you work with you refer your clients to? Are you considering expanding your portfolio to SEO services? Do you offer SEO services alongside your main services? Do you offer ongoing SEO for a monthly fee?

★ ThemeUp: Nifty Upgrades for your Shopify Store ★ https://themeup.net
3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
48 0 14

Hi Tom, 

I think you sum it up nicely. SEO consists of the 3 main elements; on-page, external and technique. Shopify got the technique sorted for the most part, so that leaves the two other elements to optimize. 

While you can go actively hunting for strong backlinks and other external factors we always advise our clients to focus on creating great content for their blogs and product pages. 

Back in our consulting days we offered the more wealthy shop owners to outsource this content creating for them, but this is not ideal either because nobody knows the products like a store owner does. And thats exactly one of the stronger point of how a shop owner can differiate himself from the competition. For the less fortuned shop owners we offered to do a weekly/monthly SEO check of their created content for a monthly fee. 

This last option actually works very well, the webshop owner feels obliged to sit down, write the content and write it good because you are checking it. And without trying to promote our product to much, but your question is exactly why we created ReloadSEO :) To let shop owners write their content so that the SEO experts can do the more "fancy" SEO related stuff.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
540 24 113

I really like your approach of letting the store owner produce the content and optimizing it for a recurring fee. I might add that to my services :)

★ ThemeUp: Nifty Upgrades for your Shopify Store ★ https://themeup.net
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
27 0 4

Hi Tom, 

One of the nice things about Shopify is that the stores are built with SEO in mind right from the beginnging. Things like readable URLs, Site maps and well structured Themes really help a lot!

There is a great article regarding SEO that I like to give to merchants when I speak with them located at: https://www.shopify.ca/blog/4627892-10-crucial-seo-tips-for-ecommerce-entrepreneurs

It has a lot of great things to keep in mind when building your site/store. The real key is getting Google (and other engines) to see your site as a trsuted source, and a lot of those tips in that article work towards achieving that trust. 

Best of luck!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
221 0 15

The team at SEO For Merchants have gone ahead to develop a free SEO course which is delievered to your email daily. This includes all the tips & strategies they have been using to rank websites on shopify. Sign up for free -> http://offer.seodoctorapp.com/5-days-seo-class/

SEO Doctor App (https://apps.shopify.com/kudobuzz-seo)
0 Likes
Highlighted
20 0 0

Grace,

I checked your app page and visited your web site.

Still not clear what you are offering.

I have a site silislcik.com on Shopify that I set up without any additional tuning up or much marketing.

Getting few visiotrs and occasional buyer.

What can you offer-do for my store, if you're interested?

Tks

Leonard

gems10021@yahoo.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
17 0 2

Hi Thomas,

If they want SEO locally, I think its easier to show up on google first page then just a keyword. That's what all the expert say, But again not one approach works it has to be a combination of many factors, like Locally, citations, social platforms etc.

But I think you are heading the right direction by discussing on these forums. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi Thomas,

I know this is old, but I figured people might still have the questions about SEO. We've had success in ranking locally several of our real estate clients and we do not use the Drupal module. We've read good things, but have found Yoast, targeting our keywords, and having active content as sufficient to rank high. Some tips, try to create a blog for your agent so that they can constantly have new content on their site. We like to link this content with their social media accounts. Be sure to have your keywords in your H1 and H2 headings, and first paragraph. Lastly, try to target an even more local area than a city, since most people are looking for a certain area within the city. Maybe use a certain neighborhood or suburb as your keyword.

Thanks,
Charles
Galaxy Media Co.
www.GalaxyMediaCo.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

You do your best and help them get at page one in Google, Bing and others.

Seo can make or brake a business.

If you need more info contact me on http://www.kontrast.in

Need a great website design? Kontrast Webdesign Aalst
0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi Thomas/all,

A big part of SEO is figuring out what keywords are most relevant to your target. I'd suggest installing the Know Your Customer app for all stores. It's a free app that gives you an in depth look at your customers, where they come from, their interests, as well as helps you glean which of your products are hottest at the moment. It might be a helpful tool as you try to develop an SEO strategy for your shopify store. Happy to answrer any questions!

Link to the app - http://bit.ly/2j81sBA 

0 Likes