SEO - Complete Page Load Very Long

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 2

Hi,

So most of my pages load reasonably well from a user perspective. However, I've noticed that when I use web monitoring tools, it says the time to load the pages completely are around 20 seconds.

On closer inspection I've also found that the latter stage of that long load time is all of my navigation pages being loaded. You can see them at the bottom of this list:

https://www.webpagetest.org/result/200609_MR_7b340fbb285ac682a5709b9f35e2eb64/1/details/#waterfall_v...

They each seem to add around 300ms:

SlowLoad.JPG

Hopefully someone could advise what could be amiss here.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello,
About half of the users that visits the website expect the site to load in 2 secs or less. If the website load time is more than that then user tend to abondon.

Below are some of the practices to optimize the website for the best possible performance.

1) Minimize HTTP requests - These requests tend to take up 80% of the webpage loading time thereby limiting requests between 3-5 simultaneous connections per domain which is not a good option.
This can be resolves by reducing the number of images being used in the website, by combining CSS and javascript files.

2) Browser Catching - This allows assets to be downloaded in the hard drive. These files are stored locally on the system, which leads to the subsequent increase in the loading speed.
static assets have a lifetime of maximum one week while widgets or adds lasts for a day.

3) Compress Images and optimize files - Images take up the 60% average byte loaded per second. You can probably remove images that you think are not needed. Take a look at the images you come across and check their sizes for optimization.
JPG is important for pictures where detailing is less important
PNG should be used for images where you need transparent background
SVG is required for vector images where detailing is necessary.

Thanks

CedCommerce | Digital Marketing Services

Digital Marketing Analyst
E-mail: asthaupadhyay@cedcommerce.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
866 72 203

This is an accepted solution.

You can click on the individual requests in WebpageTest to get details.

Looks like those extra collections are all being loaded by something called avanbo.speed-page.js:

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 10.35.09 AM.jpg

If I were approaching this problem I would do this:

1) Identify the app, and disable it (or comment out the theme code if it's a snippet).

2) Re-run the WPT test to verify results

3) If load speed returns to normal, figure out why the app is loading all that extra content and if it's necessary

4) Fix or contact the app developer (if that turns out to be the issue)

It might take some more digging to identify exactly the cause, but starting from the "loaded by" field in WPT is a good place to start looking.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app).
Creator of Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, send emails).
Creator of Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool specifically for Shopify sites).
My team also builds custom apps and automated solutions.
Enjoy the adventure!
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
377 29 118

Hello @Avec,

Check out Google' PageSpeed. It gives a detailed information about every file causing delay and what is the remedy for that. Follow the below steps also:

• Minify and combine files

Minimize and combine files commonly HTML, CSS, and JavaScript files. Minifying a file involves removing unnecessary formatting, whitespace, and code. This will reduce the HTTP requests

• Defer JavaScript loading
    Deferring a file means preventing it from loading until after other elements have loaded. If you defer larger files, like JavaScript, you ensure that the rest of your content can load without a delay.
  • Compress images without loosing the quality.
  • Minify JavaScript and CSS
  • Put Stylesheets at the Top
  • Put Scripts at the Bottom
  • Use a Content Delivery Network

Hope this helps,

Jeena

https://MansionEcommerce.com
https://apps.shopify.com/partners/mansion-ecommerce
Driving the next decade of eCommerce
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 2

Thanks for your help guys really appreciate it.

@JoesIdeas - love the detail you gave me there and I've improved my knowledge on analysing WebpageTest data too.

Went through your logical steps also and found the app.

From the analysis I did, I wasn't convinced it improved my store performance at all and I have left it off for now.

Thanks again!

0 Likes