SEO Struggles and Low Conversion Rates

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hello everyone!

I aquired my store (https://livetechnomadic.com) from Shopify's exchange about three weeks ago and have been working around six hours a day on it ever since. I've established and Instagram account of about 580 followers and have Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn accounts with a much smaller following. 

I've also been adding products and blog posts to my site, but so far I only rank on Google if you search my direct site name (e.g. "livetechnomadic) - my brand name (Technomadic) doesn't even show up. How would I go about fixing this? The store has been registered with Google's Search Console for about two weeks and I have 32 URL's indexed according to their counts, but apparently none of the rank on anything. 

Outside of organic Google searches - which number less than 20 per day - I did start an Adwords campaign with the free coupons they give out. However, even with this suplement, I would only receive around 60 views a day, and no conversions. I understand that Adwords results are directly related to how much money you put into it (I was spending about $30 a day), but I expected about a 2% conversions rate.. I have 0. On the positive side though, my bounce rate went down to about 38% with the campaign, so it's not like my site was inapplicable to the advertisements.

To get more specific, I'm looking for what I can do to increase traffic and my social media following. I suppose this is the same question that every owner of a starter store asks, but that doesn't make any less applicable. Thanks for any information and/or guidance you can offer!

Thanks,

Collin T.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
72 0 23

Hi Collin,

Just to clear your doubt, SEO doesn't give you immediate results. It takes months to actually start ranking for keywords. Your store has just opened this month and as per MOZ your current DA is 1, What that means is that you'll rank for very specific keywords as of now. So, keep on writing more articles and engage with your social media audience in order to increase your DA which will help you rank better on Google. You can use this free keyword tool which will help you in deciding the best possible keyword for your next article. 

Now coming back to your main question - increasing traffic on your store. Here's what I would suggest you to start with:
- Facebook Ads: Why FB ads? Well for a very simple reason - Facebook allows you to create audience basis Gender, Age, Geography and most importantly Interest. You can run Brand Awareness ads (both on FB and Instagram), sponsored stories and Marketplace ads (not very sure that they work). I would advise you to run your ad for about 2 weeks before making any decision. 
- Influencer Marketing:  To be honest, this thing works. But it takes a lot of research and efforts before you start with this. Keep 3 things in mind - whether the influencer's page has real followers, whether those followers are your target audience and lastly check for the influencer's background before striking the deal. 
- Free giveaways: I don't think this needs any explanation. Who doesn't like some free gifts? Since you've 500+ Instagram followers - you should definitely go ahead with this.

Some tips before you get started:
- User profile: Identify your user persona and track their behavior. Use Google Analytics to see the source of your traffic, how do users come and interact with your store, the average time they spend, etc. If you're new to GA then I would recommend you take these free courses.
- Site Speed:  Not everyone has access to high internet speeds at all the time. So, make sure your site doesn't create a bad experience for your users. You can use Page insights to check the speed of your store on both mobile and desktop.

*And btw social media presence also helps you to come up in search results. 

Re-target your store visitors with iZooto | https://bit.ly/2KMnpkh
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thanks so much  - - You mentioned influencer marketing in your post, which is something I’m actively working at. Do you have recommendations for tools to find influencers outside of social medi? I’m talking popular blogs, websites, etc. that might be willing to backlink. 

Thanks,

Collin T. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
74 0 8

Collin,

I like the cleanness of your site, but I did notice some things:

• Your pricing is higher than Amazon is, so why would someone purchase from you? I am sure you know that if someone sees a product on your site, they will go straight to Amazon in order to compare your price, and to check out reviews. One example is your "Lightweight Portable Outdoor Table". You indicate that this medium sized table is on sale for $37.95; however, it is being sold under Amazon Prime for $23.98, and the larger version is only $32.98. Therefore, your sale price is higher than both of Amazon's regular prices are. You cannot possibly compete with pricing when your product is not unique or is not difficult to find.
  • Your shipping times are a LOT longer than on Amazon for the exact same product. Using the above product for example, your site states that shipping takes 1.5-3 weeks; however, the Amazon seller delivers it in one day
  • You have a few spelling/word choice errors in your blog. Be careful with "their”, "they're" and "there". I always make those mistakes. Make sure you use MS Word, Grammerly or Open Office to check your posts.

If you want a better view of what potential customers are doing on your website, you can install a Shopify app like LuckyOrange. We just installed it and we check the "Live Recordings" daily to follow a customer's path along our site (and we are not affiliated with the makers of LuckyOrange). I hope this helps,

Tomas

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Then how does the Oberlo app have any users whatsoever? With the sale, I only have my products marked up about 20% (or less) - how do you even begin to compete?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
74 0 8

Please be aware that I am not an expert by no means, these are just my opinions as a consumer and seller.

I would suggest looking deeper to find products that might be a little "outside the box”, things that your competitors are not smart enough to find correlations with the market you're selling to. If you find unique things to sell from Oberlo or AliExpress, and you do not see them when you perform your search on Amazon, or you are willing to bite the bullet and not make a large profit by selling your product cheaper, you might begin to make sells.

If you must try to sell the products currently listed on your site, you have to drastically lower your markup until you can compete; there is no other way around it. You might not even make a profit on some items. Try to have a low markup on items that are widely available, and a higher markup for those hidden gems you find that other companies have yet to find. It is not easy when using services like Oberlo since everyone is trying to sell the exact same products. It is all about price and reputation until you start selling unique items.

Tomas

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense now. I'll see what I can do to shake things up a bit.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
10 0 0

Hi Colin, 

You probably already know this - but was just checking how many backlinks you have, and on semrush it showed that you have 2 backlinks.. Both these backlinks does not include your brand name as the anchor text.

I searched on Google for 'Technomadic' and the first (second actually, first was wikipedia) website that popped up was some website called tecnomada.net - They are appearing high on Google for this keyword with just 3 backlinks. But all their backlinks have the anchor text 'Technomadic' included in them. So I would suggest testing this : Build 5-10 backlinks from other websites with the anchor text 'Technomadic' included in it. Just test to see the reponse. Interesting to note that tecnomada.net is ranked higer than technomadia.com for your brand name search.  technomadia.com has over 32K backlinks - but none of their backlinks include your brand name. Therefore I think with a few (5-10) high quality backlins you should be able to rank for your brand name. 

Ranking for product pages - e.g. 'Portable Double Hammock' - will be much harder - as the first 4-5 organic results are taken by Amazon. I would stay away from these keywords in the beginning and try and target others as it will be really hard to beat these giants in SEO for these keywords right away. Instead of competing on SEO with these established brands, maybe try another method. Try to find keywords that are related to your product that are not dominated by these brands. Look at websites like thehammockexpert.com (getting around 6K visits per month with 112 unique referring domain backlinks) or cleverhiker.com(getting around 146K visits per month with 201 unique referring domain backlinks). I would go through their backlinks and identify the backlinks that are easy to get & relevant to your products/industry, and get those easy ones first. But before this I would study these websites to see which pages are driving the most traffic to them and if its realted to what you offer, start building similar pages. May not be product pages, but blogs. Please do your own research to find competitors like this (who are not amazon etc) and see how they generate traffic. 

One really interesting thing I noticed is that for your main keyword like 'Portable Double Hammock' - there are a few youtube videos (not from amazon etc but from really small youtubers) that pop up on the first page of results. SO maybe thats another thing to test easily. Create youtube videos for your products - and build a few backlinsk to them. 

Maybe you are already aware of all this. Hope it helps. Good luck with your store.

Arjun

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thanks for mentioning Semrush, I've been looking for a good platform to research backlinks. I've been using Moz's Keyword Planner in the past, but it's annoying that their free trial only extends to 3-5 searches a day. 

I'll definitely keep all that in mind, thanks. 

1 Like