SEO advice with H1, H2, H3 tags

Irena_Iverson
7 0 0

I have a question of when I should use H2 and H3 headings. Specifically the question is about how I should organize my blogs and which headings should be used. Mistakenly, I used H1 highlighting each topic in a paragraph but H1 should be used once which it is in a title. The question is Can I or Should I use h2 for better organization and SEO? If my question is still confusing, I will ask more specifically:

Let's say I have 3 blogs about How to Look Classy:

How to Look Classy part 1 

How to look Classy part 2 - White color

How to Look Classy part 3 - Colors

They are broken into 3 parts because the blogs are lengthy. So where H1 is used? In a title of each blog?

In the body of the blog I used "paragraph" which is correct but each blogs is broken different sections with a heading that has a separate point, so what I should use there? As I said, for the moment it's H1 which is wrong. Should I use H2?

0 Likes

Hello ,

• HTML headings provide valuable information by highlighting important topics and the structure of the document, so optimize them carefully to improve user engagement.
  • Don't use headings to make your text look BIG or bold. Use them only for highlighting the heading of your document and to show the document structure.
  • Since search engines, such as Google, use headings to index the structure and content of the web pages so use them very wisely in your webpage.
  • Use the <h1> headings as main headings of your web page, followed by the <h2> headings, then the less important <h3> headings, and so on.

Use the <h1> tag to mark the most important heading which is usually at the top of the page. An HTML document generally should have exactly one <h1> heading, followed by the lower-level headings such as <h2>, <h3>, <h4>, and so on.
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution. Free Website Review and advice for sale from Hire us
Shopify Conversion Experts | Shopify Private App | Custom Theme Development | Custom Modifications In To Shopify Theme | Shopify SEO | Digital Marketing | Site Speed Optimization | Performance Site Audit
For Quick Chat Whats app | Email: pallavi@oscprofessionals.com | Skype : oscprofessionals-87
Travel111
Excursionist
19 0 5

I want to re-open this question as I don't feel like it was fully answered. 

We are advised to use the H1 tag on a page only once. Using it more than once can negatively impact SEO. If my page has a title, is that classed as the H! by google or should I still add a H1 tag in the description box? 

For example, I don't want to put:

Title: Dog Harness 

H1: Dog Harness 

because Google will detect that I have tried to use the H1 tag more than once. 

0 Likes
Niki_S
Explorer
60 5 12

Hi Travel111,

You should use only one h1 tag on a page (e.g. <h1>My first blog post - part one</h1>)

Title is meta data (<title>My first post | MyBlogging</title>). This title is shown up in the SERP (search engine result page) + when sharing the page. 

In articles, if you would like to use some headlines, I recommend using H2, H3 and so on. 

Hope it helped!

Hi @Travel111

You can check if your H1 is the same as the title using a Chrome addon called SEO META in 1 click which shows you your current heading structure. 

Note that Google identifies H1 and Title based on its tags, not on the content. So basically if you have: 

H1: Dog Harness  

It won't be counted that you're using H1 more than once, cause the first one has the title tag - hence it's a title. and the 2nd one has H1 tag - hence Google knows it's the H1. 

Having the same content for H1 and Title is a common issue and generally, it won't tank your website or do any harm to your SEO. But it's advised to optimize your H1 by writing it slightly longer than title and including long-tail related keywords, for example: 

H1: Durable High-quality Dog Harness, Strong & Secure, Best For Everyday Walk

Let me know if my answer is of any help, with a thumb up or like  

Cheers 

CRO Expert at PageFly - Advanced Shopify Page Builder - Empowering 90.000+ active merchants.
- Inspiring example: PageFly builds a complete Shopify landing page base on Nike.com
- PageFly Page Builder: Website | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter | Group | Youtube
Travel111
Excursionist
19 0 5

Thank you Richard this helps and I will use the Chrome extension today! Cheers. 

0 Likes