SEO and product description

Solved
ppt9355
Tourist
8 0 0

I am very new to Shopify..... I am trying to understand if i should hire someone to create my job descriptions to include SEO. Not sure if this is how SEO is included.  My descriptions need to be cleaned up and want to make sure i include SEO if that is the write step or do i hire someone to do my marketing and they will take care of SEO.  Just unsure of the process.

0 Likes
Cal
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
984 103 166

Hey @!

Cal here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us.

This is a great question, and SEO is so important for the long-term health of any business. Being able to attract traffic organically is such an asset to any business, and it's great that you are looking to start this process early, as it is a marathon and not a sprint, and can take six months to a year to see real results. 

We have some great tips on how you might improve your site's SEO here. These are the fundamentals, and you should have a good grasp of how you can continually build on this work. I'd suggest you do all of these yourself, as you will need to do them repeatedly, like submit your sitemap when you update your site. 

If you're not sure what keywords your customers are going to look for, then this should be the next thing your research. We have some really great in-depth (and slightly more advanced) guides on SEO here. These posts go beyond the basics and really deepen your understanding of SEO. 

If you do opt to hire an Expert to work on your SEO, I'd suggest going to them with the basics done, so they don't charge you to set those up, and they can focus on the nitty-gritty, next level SEO that will have customers finding your store organically. 

Have you considered starting a blog to accompany your online store? 

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

ppt9355
Tourist
8 0 0

Cal,

Thank you for your reply.  Is SEO part of the product description or is it not a part of the product description?

0 Likes

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @ppt9355

It is a part of your product description and not a part of your product description - simultaneously - let me explain. 

Let say you are selling dog food, and you want that when people google "dog food", your product page shows up. To do this, you need to optimize your product page SEO - as you already know. 

Now you have the focus keyword that is dog food. 

What you need to do now, is to let Google know that your product page is about "dog food", and that it matches the user's search query (hence the term SEO = Search Engine Optimization). So to do that, your product description needs to have the focus keyword "Dog food" - this is what we call keyword density. -> so yes, it is part of your product description. 

Now, you're not done yet - you also need to optimize your title, URL and description (so that Google can find you) - scroll down all the way to the end of your product page, you'll see a Section for SEO - this one. 

Screenshot (62).png

Here you can edit your Title, Meta description and URL - the same principle: They all need to have the focus keyword "dog food" and have adequate length. -(hence, SEO's also not a part of your product description) 

Screenshot (63).png

SEO is all about telling Google or Search Engine that your site is of value and should be presented to users and it involves more complicated aspects, including: 

• On-page SEO: On-page SEO covers all approaches you use to help search engines better understand and rank your content - which includes making content friendly and useful to your target audience; then optimizing your headings, tags, links so it can also be friendly to search engines. 
  • Off-page SEO: Off-page SEO covers all activities carried out on another site or platforms, including, but not limited to Link Building, Social Media, Local citation, landing reviews. 
  • Technical SEO: Technical SEO covers all activities that play a deciding role in whether your Shopify store gets indexed by search engines, including: site speed optimization, structured data, canonicalization, hreflang, and more all classes as technical SEO.

It's a long-run game - you'll get used to it after a while. 

Let me know if my answer is of any help, with a like or thumb up  

PageFly - Advanced Shopify Page Builder - Empowering 90.000+ active merchants.

Check our Evergreen Guide on Moving Your Brick-n-Mortar Store Online.

Want To Strive The Coolest E-commerce Knowledge? Explore Our FREE Video Resources.

Cal
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
984 103 166

Hi again @ppt9355,

I can see you received a tremendous explanation for your query above. That really does encapsulate it. I'd also like to reiterate, SEO strategy is long-game, it's not a sprint. 

Have you thought about how you might initially market your business to your target demographic? Who is your target audience? 

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
fluxuss
3 0 0

Hey there!

Product descriptions is an important part of getting more traffic to your website since search engines are using content of a website to calculate the ranking.

We have developed an app that writes SEO optimised product descriptions which named TextCortex AI. You can install it through here

App itself is free and gives you 30 Product Descriptions for free upon installation.

All you need to do is give your product title and then TextCortex generates 5 different product descriptions to choose from. Every new text generation will create a unique product description.

Hope this helps

0 Likes

A better way is to conduct keyword research before you write the description. Find out keywords with lower competition but higher CPC. After that, include these keywords into your description, URL handle, title, and meta description. These are basic SEO duties

SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview
BYOB - Build Your Own Bundles
0 Likes