SEO duplication issue

4 0 0

Hey guys, thanks for showing interest on the topic and helping me out with this issue im trying to tackle. 

The link I'm specifically interested in is: https://www.unisnewyork.com/collections/common-projects/products/common-projects-original-achilles-l...

I'm trying to up the SEO game for the site and found that the shoes we sell have unique links for each color of the same style shoe. However, we have identical product copy, collection copy and meta description for each item. 

My question is: Will this mess with Google bot in crawling through our link (duplication issue)? and what are some suggestions to going through this issue? (a major website redesign is not an option for us) 

Thank you again so much for your help,

H Nguyen

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 5

Not sure of your exact setup, but I just investigated almost the same duplication concern in my store running the "Supply" free template. My products are uploaded as variants of a main product, and therefore have pages with a unique variant code appended to the URL (like "?variant=41408283476") that determines which color/size variant is currently displaying. To optimize, product pages have a rel="canonical" tag in the code that specifies the base URL without the variant parameter for search engines to help de-duplicate. There is also a tool in Google Search Console where you can define how Google treats parameters. Experiment with settings to see what works best for overall search visibility.

Your product color variants are uploaded as separate products (there are links to the other color product pages to select another color instead of using variants like size), so you'll have to make the product copy unique among all the colors available as if they are unique products.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
31 0 6

I would highly recommend changing up the copy among the different product pages, at least a bit. It will affect SEO. Unless you're ready to merge colors into one product, this will be a good practice.

0 Likes
4 0 0

Thank you Mike for your prompt and detailed reply!

Can you further expand on the rel='canonical" tag and how I could use it to de deplucate the products? 

I am also working on creating seperate product copies that are unique to each product. (trying my best to differentiate them)

Do you think that putting the collection copy out in the collection page and deleting it from the body would help SEO?

Thanks so much again,

Hung Nguyen

0 Likes
4 0 0

Thanks Alexa for your reply!

That's exactly what I'm doing right now! thank you so much

Hung 

0 Likes
Excursionist
12 0 5

The rel="canonical" tags are already implemented on the template I'm using.  To check yours, visit a page and view source, CTRL-F to search for "canonical" and you should find it somewhere.  If missing, not sure how to code that with Shopify yet - I just started playing with it a few weeks ago for my wife's project.  I'll post anything I find out.

0 Likes
4 0 0

Thank you again for the help,

Cheers!

Hung

0 Likes