SEO needs major help

tmarks
3 0 0

So I just took over marketing for our store. We started using Shopify about two or three years ago and as I have started picking up where our last marketing coordinator left off, I discovered that our website is no where on Google results searching just our name. Obviously that is a problem.

So my question really is, what can I do for our weebsite that has been established for a couple of years now to boost our ranking and build a solid SEO platform? I am still learning how to use a lot of the software and backdoor parts of shopify, so it helps a tone if reccomendations are pretty specific. Thanks y'all! 

0 Likes
Mel_O1
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
208 0 31

Hi, Tmarks!

I’m Melissa, a Shopify Guru. Thanks for reaching out. As we are unable to see the site, I will offer some SEO guidance to get you started in relation to Shopify. :-)

• Check that you have the most recent sitemap submitted to Google so that it can crawl the site to be visible and listed. so it would be to check that the domain is verified with this guide and then to submit the new sitemap here.
  • Make sure all product images are optimized so that Google will be able to read and crawl the images to help in relation to SEO. You can edit this in the product here https://screenshot.click/_10-02-5nrml-2hpfj.jpg that will then create a pop up where you can edit the ALT text
  • In the product section, you can also optimize and Edit the copy to help with SEO. At the end of the page on your product page, you will see 'Edit SEO' and can make the changes there.

Here are some helpful blog posts to help you in getting you SEO strategy started:

E-commerce setup checklist 
5 Ways to Optimize Ecommerce Product Pages 
Video: Ecommerce SEO 101 

Also, there are apps available like SEO Manager and SEO Doctor that can help you manage your SEO too if you would like to check them out to see if they would suit the needs of the business. Hope this information helps! You can reach out to the Guru team https://help.shopify.com/questions if you have any questions.

Have a great day!

Melissa | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
tmarks
3 0 0

Hey Melissa,

Thanks for the feedback! Would it help more if you could see the site? It is passionresources.com. Like I said, I am just jumping into this so all of this is a learning experience but what you provided has some great insight so far. 

Thanks, 

Tyler

0 Likes
Alasdair_Walker
Shopify Partner
102 0 15

Hey Tyler,

Your homepage isn't being picked up, everything else is pretty much. 

Through it into Google Webmaster Tools and it should flag the error, most likely your sitemap or robot.txt file is blocking something. 

Alasdair

Ocean One SEO - Transforming Businesses - 1 to 1 Online Consulting Services Available. Check out the website for details.
0 Likes
Luis_Morales2
Shopify Partner
58 0 11

Hey Tyler,

Go into Search Console > Crawl > robots.txt Tester.

In there, at the bottom, test your homepage using the Googlebot. If it doesn't pass, something in your robot.txt is blocking your page from being crawled.

if you need help editing it, let me know: luis@luisemorales.com

To your success,

Luis

0 Likes
Henry11
Tourist
4 0 1

Yeah, totally agrees with the two gentlemen's answer from above.

The issue here is pretty straightforward - Either your page is too new to be "picked up" by the search engine or there is something in your .txt blocking your page.

In anyways, while you figure this out, go sort your keywords out as well. It seems like your keywords used for SEO are all over the place.

0 Likes
Claire_Chapman
4 0 0

Hi Luis

Could you help me with this too?  I think I have the same problem too with checking the sitemap submitted to Google so that it can crawl the site to be visible and listed.

Many thanks

Claire

Small World Dreams

0 Likes
tmarks
3 0 0

Thanks for all your help guys. Still working on cleaning everything up and making it more efficient, but was able to get the homepage as the top result on google. Turned out to be a redirect issue. 

0 Likes