Sales stopped after first 3 sales - paid FB Ads - POD-Shop

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Hey there commnunity!

I recently launched my own store at www.walkincat.com   last week! I am running a Print-on-demand store - no Dropshipping from China.

It did not even take long to get the 1st three sales - on Sunday I started advertising - this week's Monday I already got the first sale. Then the second 2 sales on Tuesday. A ROAS of above 20 - I thought - how is this possible?

But then since Wednesday. All stoppped. 

I did let all my FB-ads run only to find out 3 things now:

* The CTR is good (>1,5%) of my ads, some select ads even have 3%.

* People scroll on the product pages but in the end always leave.

* Noone is even pressing ATC button!

I spent about 500€ now in ads to get this info, but I still am unsure about why sales stopped.

The CTR numbers and engagement on FB would conclude that people like my designs. 

I do not want to cut off potential "winner shirts" but also not waste more money... .

I am currently turning off all adsets.

My conclusion: It is the time of the year. December and X-MAS is too close. Or were my sales were lucky ones?

Do you have some tips? Or is it my product page fault?

Thanks,

Michael

PS: At least, the first sale gave me some confidence already..

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
1209 61 360

Hi Michael,

Your store looks great and I love your products! 3 sales in the 1st week is a great success - I wouldn't worry about the quiet few days at this stage yet - you only just started. Unless you changed drastically the ad copy, I'd treat it as part of the process. 

One comment - avoid having all items on sale; it loses the appeal of a great deal. If people see that all items are on sale, the discounted price doesn't seem genuine. Have about 5% merchandise on sale at a time to make people feel they get a real "bargain".

Well done on not dropshipping - good to see a new trend emerging :) 

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Thank you for your honest feedback! 

It helps me to think that these 500€ are spent for learning a lesson. The ad copy changed a bit, but increased the Click through rate.

When I got the first 2 sales of the same product, I knew people liked it.

Now I will wait until X-Mas is over, then activate the Ads again to get true results.

I thought about this today - I also would not buy even on Amazon if delivery was not guaranteed before X-Mas. 

I see that you are right about the sales. I guess that decreases "trust" a bit.

Edit: I now put sales tags only on some of the products

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
393 72 179

Hey, Michael!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

I agree with Maggie. Your website is really well built and congratulations on making sales so early on! You are doing something right!

Digital marketing actually takes lots of tweaking and adjusting along the way. The fact that your traffic had turned into sales so early on, it's an indication that all you need to do is keep working on observing the ads you are putting out. What's working and what's not working. Perhaps it was the time zone or keywords related. Since it's so early on, I encourage you to keep analyzing your ad results to calculate what's the best move for you. Here is a great blog for you on Facebook marketing. The newest two posts (The Elements of Facebook Ad Creative that Converts - Plus Examples of It Done Right and How to Scale Your Facebook Ads - While Maintaining a Healthy Return on Ad Spend) will offer some useful insights; there are plenty of other well-written posts on how you can utilize your Facebook ads. 

One thing to keep in mind is that it's quite common an ad works in a moment but the next moment it may stay quite a little bit. It's very much like a stock market. I wouldn't panic for you at the moment. That being said, I totally understand when you had tasted the success so early on, how it can make you have a concern on what's going on. 

Your CTR rate is very good! Kudos to the ones reaching 3%. Knowing that you are trying to understand your traffic, I recommend you look into apps, such as Lucky Orange, Hitstep Analytics, and Hotjar. These are great apps because you can see heat maps and videos of what your customers do on the site. The results offer you great insight into where the customers are dropping off, and why people don't convert.

I've seen that you took Maggie's advice on not to have every product on sale, which I think it's a brilliant tip! When I checked out your product page, I thought it's really nice. Simple with added badges and icons. The details are right on the spot and aren't too long for customers to scroll. 

I think it's smart of you to temporarily pause the campaign and wait for the holiday season to end before you dive in again. Other than Facebooks ads, have you tried out any other digital marketing strategies? If so, what have you tired? Have you thought about Instagram marketing? Shopify has a great course on how to grow your business with Instagram in Shopify Academy (free to join!). Knowing 2018 is coming to an end, what are your business goals for 2019?

If there’s anything else I can help you out with, please don’t hesitate to reply back and I’d be happy to help out! Alternatively, you can always give us a call or start a live chat at any time. We're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

All the best,

Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Thanks Jason - I will take an inside view on things!

What I figured out too, is that CTR only tells half the story when traffic is good or bad - my sales even came from adsets with avg. CTRs :p!

I made these changes after viewing visitor behavior on LuckyOrange - most often it was Trust or long description - so with my simple "not scammy" badges this should be better for 2019.

I may just have to sell the product a bit more with the copy, still. As you know before my description I have my trusty checklist with the "2 cats" . I may reverse that or leave it this way.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
393 72 179

Hi, Michael.

It's true. The Click Through Rate (CTR) only offers a statistic on your store traffic but not on the conversion. Hence there'll be more than likely that you'll get sales even though CTR may not being the strongest at the time. That being said, a strong CTR is always better since it offers more chances for your traffic to convert into sales.

Understanding your traffic's behavior and make the adjustment accordingly, let it be designs related or ad campaigns related will be important for you. Knowing that you've already started doing so, I know for sure you'll have a great 2019! 

Best,

Jason

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Thanks for the tips Jason, happy 2019.

I have an update: The nightmare has sadly continued now in 2019 so far - high CTRs, no ATCs, no Sales.

There is something wrong that I must not see. Or maybe the people are not into the designs (which again questions why many click on the ad, huh?). Maybe shipping too expensive? 

Before Shipping was 6.95 - I changed it to 4.95 now.

Edit: This nightmare is true for all 5 designs I am advertising on right now..

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
393 72 179

Hi, Michael!

Happy 2019! So nice hearing from you. I took another deep dive to your store and tried to see if there are things we could tweak and update to ensure that the visitors can convert at the end of the journey when they are on your site. Here is my recommendation: 

1. I noticed that in the "Information about Shipping" page, you had only included expected shipping period for the customers in EU but not for any other countries. I encourage you to include all the expected period for at least the US customers. Having the information handy may help you with the conversion. 

2. Have you checked out your Shopify Analytics lately? By the sound of your post, you are on top of your ad analytics, I assume you are also analyzing your store report. If you haven't yet, I recommend you start taking a look when you have a moment. Located on your Shopify admin, Shopify Analytics's dashboard offers you an overview of what's happening in your store. The sections in this screenshot allow you to understand a little more on the traffic coming to your store and which products are top-selling. 

Starting from the top left corner, with the Online store conversion rate, the goal is to hit around 2%. If you can go beyond 2%, that means your store is performing very well. Moving downwards, the Top products sold by units will let you know which products are your top performers. Since you are marketing 5 different shirts at a time, this is a great place to check out the feedback of your ads. If there are 5 equally strong results, then you know your ads are performing equally well. If there is a big difference in numbers, then you know which ad isn't performing as well as you think. This goes back to the idea of CTR. Even though the ad has a high rate of CTR, it doesn't equate sales. The idea here is to keep the top performing products and switch out the lower performing ones. Switching out doesn't mean removing the product altogether. Rather, you would switch the ad to a different product and test it again. 

The Online store sessions by traffic source and the Sales by social source both will let you know how effective your ads are. The Average order value will let you know if your shipping campaign is effective or not. If the average is below €44.99 that means most customers aren't attracted to your free shipping campaign. I would suggest perhaps adding a bulk discount offer. For instance, buy one T-shirt for a certain price but get a hoodie for a cheaper price when making the purchase together. This can be achieved by apps such as Bold Bundles - Product Bundles and Upsell Bundle Products. A note here for you is that it may be worthwhile to go over your product page again and edit it fully. There are minor typos on some pages such as this one:

The Online store sessions by location is a great place to check out where your clicks are coming from. If there are regions other than the countries in EU showing up, then I recommend you update the shipping period to include the regions that are visiting your store. The visitors may get detoured with your shipping period at the moment because it simply didn't include them. The Top landing pages by sessions offer valuable information on where the visitors came to visit in the first place. This is also a place for you, again, evaluate how well your ads are doing. If the 5 product pages are pulling traffic equally, then you can definitely keep the ads running. If one is outperforming all others, then it's time for you to tweak your 4 ads and switching out different products for you to promote. 

Similar to rest of the sections, they all share some insights on how your store is running with the ads you have actively running. 

3. Having gone through all the details from your store, I don't think your shipping price is the issue. I'm assuming you're running solely on Facebook ads. If that's the case, I encourage you to venture out to other social media platforms. You have great design ideas and relying on one digital marketing strategy can be a little limiting. I had checked out your Instagram. Currently, there are only 7 posts and none showing your products. This is a completely untabbed ground for you. There are ways you can engage your Instagram followers. The more you engage your followers, the more likely you may end up with more sales or even new design ideas. You can accomplish this by running your business Instagram account separately from Shopify (meaning you don't need the channel). There are three great posts on How to Get More Followers on Instagram: 13 Reliable Ways to Grow Your AudienceInstagram Influencer Marketing: Three Steps to Unleash the Power of Social Celebrities in Ecommerce, and Instagram Ecommerce Strategy: How to Create an Organic Marketing Plan.

Let me know your thoughts! 

Best,

Jason

Highlighted
Explorer
54 3 8

@Michael_Stöckl wrote:

Hey there commnunity!

I recently launched my own store at www.walkincat.com   last week! I am running a Print-on-demand store - no Dropshipping from China.

It did not even take long to get the 1st three sales - on Sunday I started advertising - this week's Monday I already got the first sale. Then the second 2 sales on Tuesday. A ROAS of above 20 - I thought - how is this possible?

But then since Wednesday. All stoppped. 

I did let all my FB-ads run only to find out 3 things now:

* The CTR is good (>1,5%) of my ads, some select ads even have 3%.

* People scroll on the product pages but in the end always leave.

* Noone is even pressing ATC button!

I spent about 500€ now in ads to get this info, but I still am unsure about why sales stopped.

The CTR numbers and engagement on FB would conclude that people like my designs. 

I do not want to cut off potential "winner shirts" but also not waste more money... .

I am currently turning off all adsets.

My conclusion: It is the time of the year. December and X-MAS is too close. Or were my sales were lucky ones?

Do you have some tips? Or is it my product page fault?

Thanks,

Michael

PS: At least, the first sale gave me some confidence already..

Hi Micheal! Thanks for showing your store :) 

Your logo looks terrible and lacks class or quality. Inappropriate. It will not be appealing to a wide audience and makes the store look like a joke. On the product page you do not need to use 2 trust badges it will make the store look spammy and scammy.

As for your advertising, your targeting is unknown to us. You should be retargeting them very aggressively. Hope this helps!

ElizaThompson

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0
Hey There.I would Like to suggest You something. First of all You need to change the mindset that You are loosing money in facebook ads. I know It’s hard to get sales while testing & Scaling Phase.But, That’s the test of your patience & Risk Management.I started My Store www.bulldog-universe.com recently & Got 2 sales on my 1st day ..Then No sales on 2nd day....No sales on 3rd day...& Boom 4 sales on 4th day ..nd Now it’s 5th day nd i got 2 sales...My total adspend is about 300$ & I got a revenue of 321$ From 8 sales....I’m close to a break even You can say...But the Point is all this time i tried variations..Turning on/off ads depending on time,let them run on full day,scale the adsets with sales,turning of the ones which i spent 20$ but got no sales.....So you got to test this out..& Major Factor is You are not loosing Money Here...Actually You are getting Your Pixel Become Solid....You can actually create custom audiences later on which can save your money & even level out your losses if your product is a good one....& If you are running a niche store then that pixel gonna help u alot in your next products related to your niche...& also save money because by that time you will have the targeted audience which visited your site & u can create lookalike audience...Keep Spending..If You Give Facebook Money They will surely make you happy...Because they want customer to keep spending😉
Hey guys can you Review my store too...Website mentioned above🙂
0 Likes