Seems like I got swindled by Facebook Ads!?!?

Highlighted
8 0 0

I ran a short Facebook ad for webcliks a few days ago.  I monitored it very closely to see what demographics were engaging the most with my ad. I was averaging less than 50 cents a click, but I soon noticed something was off. I was checking what my store admin was showing for how many visits I was getting to my site and what my GA was telling me about my traffic sources. The amount of clicks Facebook said I was getting and the actually visits to my site were way off.  Facebook showed that I was getting all these website clicks (which I was paying for), but the actually visits to my site were way lower (about 1 visit per 3 supposed webclicks).  What the heck?!? I've ran Facebook ads before and never got these kind of skewed results. The last time I ran an ad with Facebook, I was getting 200-400 visits a day and not spending nearly as much. I pulled my ad because I didn't want to keep paying for clicks that I wasn't getting.

Has anyone else every had this experience?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
338 0 55

Hi Crystal,

On your GA were you looking at "unique clicks" or "total clicks"? I say this because Facebook charges you per click - not per unique click. And GA tends to prioritize a unique click over a generic click (unqiue click is the first time someone clicks - even if they click multiple times after, it only tracks the first click).

Alicia | Support Lead for Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

Hi Crystal

Frustrating huh? So you've got two things going on here; 1) not as many clicks through to your site and 2) inconsistent reporting of the visits that have been generated. 

On the first point did you target a smaller audience than the time you were getting 200 - 400 visits? How long ago did you run the ads that got 200 - 400 visits? And did use the same payment method both times i.e. Cost Per Click or Cost Per Mille? Answers to these may detemine whether you were bidding in a more competitive/restrictive environment

On the second point unfortunately if your site takes a little bit longer than the user is willing to wait to load then the click can be recorded in Facebook but won't register in GA as the speed in page load won't triggerng GA to track a page view. As a result you may get users clicking multiple times to try and load the page, but never actually reaching your site. I've seen the same thing happen a lot with other people. Where Google Ads are better at detecting this Facebook Ads aren't and as a result they cash in. 

I've seen some companies fair better by driving people to their Facebook page, getting a Like and then trying to coax their Facebook likers over to their site gradually. It adds a step in the process but there's an argument to be made for keeping people within the facebook ecosystem and letting them hop over to your site when it suits them, rather than disrupting them from what they were doing and forcing them to leave. Have you tried the Shopify facebook shop feature, that allows people to shop your store from Facebook? Also when I went to your site and clicked through to your facebook page on the link in the footer (https://www.facebook.com/TheTeaConnoisseur) I couldn't get to your page. 

Cheers

Will

Will Young, CEO and Co-founder of rais. rais works with busy online retailers (and their agencies) who want to grow revenue faster and easier by converting more customers across marketing channels. Our software is a mix of Marketing Automation, CRM and Business Intelligence saving our clients time while boosting profits. Email: will@rais.io
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Alicia

Please describe me more about Facebook ads compaign, I'm going to do some paid advertisment through Facebook that's why i found some deeply information about Facebook ads.

thankyou in advance

regards,

Bravo

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Between my Shopify admin and GA, I was looking at all clicks, not just unique clicks.  Still, all visits are logged, whether they are unique or returning.  If I visit my own site, I can see that I'm a returning visitor and it will still show up for overall visits that day.

The clicks that Facebook said I had gotten and the actual traffic from Facebook that I actually got was a huge discrepency.

I always check all metrics reported, page load time included.  It was about 1.5 seconds, so that definitely wasn't an issue.

The last ads I ran were back in September, for a different site I have.  The audience size was pretty much the same.  I ran two ads at the same time at a $5 max per day each.  This time around I set a $20 max.  My old ads got way more clicks and cost less overall.

Also, I checked my Facebook page link and it seems to be working just fine.

Thank you all for the input and suggestions.

Crystal

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

Quick update Crystal. Just checked a client's facebook ads account vs. their GA data

One campaign ran Jan 14th - Jan 24th - Facebook reported 111 website clicks. GA reported 94 sessions

Another campaign ran Feb 9th - Feb 12th - Facebook reported 134 website clicks. GA reported 71 sessions

Another campaign ran Jan 16th - Jan 28th - Facebook reported 117 website clicks. Ga reported 11

So you're not alone. This is all very strange. When you click on a Facebook Ad on mobile app you stay within the Facebook environment (as opposed to desktop where clicking opens up a new browser window). I'm concerned that maybe Facebook continues to count clicks you've made after you've been taken through to the web page because you're still within the Facebook app albeit in a kind of iframe. Not sure if that makes sense. I'm going to research a bit more.

Will Young, CEO and Co-founder of rais. rais works with busy online retailers (and their agencies) who want to grow revenue faster and easier by converting more customers across marketing channels. Our software is a mix of Marketing Automation, CRM and Business Intelligence saving our clients time while boosting profits. Email: will@rais.io
0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

I did notice that the majority of the clicks reported were on mobile.  It seemed like they didn't want to show the ad anywhere else but mobile, however, the majority of traffic I receive on my site are from desktop browsers.  I might do a small test to have the ad to only display on desktop feeds and see what the results might be.

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

I ran an ad recently and It showed 74 "ad to cart" and only 1 purchase, Shopify only showed 8 visitors? I was charged $35 for the ad, 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
92 0 8

I just got finished with a Facebook ad campaign, and unfortunatly $50.00 got me 2 clicks, and no purchases. Kind of a waste of money. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Maybe I should check my cart  I Don't understand why 74 would add to cart and at least  45% finish unless a have a cart problem. 

0 Likes