Setup tags for Google Analytics, Google Adwords conversion and Google Dynamic Remarketing

Highlighted
Tourist
19 0 1

Hi everyone,

I am so confused with the whole tag things. I hired a freelancer and he didn't do it right so I decided to do myself. After all the reading. I did the following. Please please take a look and let me know anything is wrong.

1. Google Analytics:

Here is my setup

In the additional javascript, the first line is for Google Display, the second line is for Google Adwords converstion tag.

2. Google Adwords conversion tag:

The following code is added in the " Additional scripts " in the check out -> order processing section:

{% if first_time_accessed %}

<!-- Event snippet for xxxx Conversion Page -->

<script>

gtag('event', 'conversion', {

'send_to': 'AW-xxxxxxxx/wweeCKC6vYIBEIuzgI0D',

'value': {{ total_price | money_without_currency | remove: ',' }},

'currency': 'USD',

'transaction_id': '{{order.order_number}}'

});

</script>

3. For the Google Dynamic marketing, currently our Dynamic Remarketing campgain hasn't been running well, and Adwords says: " Google Analytics tag hasn't been set up for business type: "Retail" " and " What to do: Add custom parameters for business type: "Retail" in your Google Analytics tag. ".

Here is what I added the following in the header section to fix the above issue.

<!-- For google Adwords Dynamic Remarketing event snippet -->   
    <script>
  gtag('event', 'page_view', {
    'send_to': 'AW-xxxxxxx',
    'ecomm_pagetype': 'product',
    'ecomm_prodid': '{{ product.id }}',
    'ecomm_totalvalue': '{{ product.price | money_without_currency | remove: ',' }}',
  });
</script>

Can anyone proofread this and let me know whether this is correct? I hope this can be hopeful for other store owners who are confused like me.

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
21 0 3

Hi Liz-

The easiest way to check your tracking code is with the Google Tag Assistant. It is an extension for Chrome:  https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...

I ran it on your website and four tags fire properly, so the initial install looks correct. (see screenshot)

Next, you should log into Google Analytics and go to the "Real Time" report to ensure you are seeing the traffic data come through properly. If all looks good there, then run a test purchase to make sure ecommerce data is being captured properly in GA. Once you have an Adwords campaign setup, you can run a test purchase thorugh your adwords link to make sure Adwords is capturing the conversions properly as well.

Let me know if you get stuck or have other questions.

Steve

promoprep.com

PromoPrep.com : Intuitive Promotion Planning Software
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Liz, 

One thing. With Shopify, you may run into some problems with using Tag Manager to implement Google Analytics. It will cause issues with cross-domain tracking as customers move into checkout. 

Facebook Pixel is the same way, should be deployed through Shopify directly.
To get accurate data, you'll want to delete the GA code from GTM and use the built-in Shopify integration. 

I help Shopify store owners sell more products and capture more revenue
Highlighted
9 0 0

This exactly. If you don't integrate it directly with the option Shopify brings you, you might run into problems and you will not find it easy to use the Tag Manager. Make things easier and simply go for the built-in integration, so you can build accurate reports, because you know, accurate data is worth its weight in gold!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
19 0 1

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the timely response. We have had google campaign running for a while, but from Shopify reports we have had orders from organic Google search, but none attributed to Adwords campaign. GA also shows lots of "direct" traffic. Google Dynamic remarketing wasn't firing well. That is why I had to take a deeper looking myself today. Glad to hear that the tags look OK initially, I will do more test and monitor GA to see how the tags perform from now on.

Thanks again

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
19 0 1

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the response. Yes I totally agree with you. I had a couple people worked on this tag thing and one used the Google Tag Manager, and it didn't work well with Shopify. We switched back to direct coding with Shopify, but still not very well tracked. I have to say the Adwords tracking is so much harder than FB tracking.

Do the tags I list look right? Are they in the right place, especially for the dynamic remarketing?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
19 0 1

Thank you so much for the input. I can't agree with you anymore. Are you clear with the Google tracking? From your perspective, do the tags I listed look right? Are they in the right place, especially for the dynamic remarketing?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
21 0 3

Liz-

Do yop have 'auto-tagging' setup in Adwords? If you don't GA will see the traffic comes from Google, but won't know it is from Adwords - so it will all be tracked as organic.

Here is the info to setup auto-tagging in Adwords:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3095550?co=ADWORDS.IsAWNCustomer%3Dfalse&hl=en

Steve

PromoPrep.com : Intuitive Promotion Planning Software
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
19 0 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response. I just checked and yes, the auto-tagging is on.

It seems that the Google Dynamica Remarketing tag is still not working. You have any suggestion?

Thanks again

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Liz,

Let me preface this by saying I am more familiar with GA and GTM. Never been that deep into Adwords, but I did some Google digging, and I think I found the answer to this:

Google Analytics tag hasn't been set up for business type: "Retail" " and " What to do: Add custom parameters for business type: "Retail" in your Google Analytics tag. ".

In Adwords, Go to Shared Library > Audiences > Tag Details > Setup > Drop down, then select retail.

I'm not sure if that is just a setting, or if it will spit something out that you need to add onto your GA tracking code.

I help Shopify store owners sell more products and capture more revenue
0 Likes