Shopify SEO Questions

matthew_gendron
Tourist
6 0 1

So I did an SEO audit with SEO Centro and I would like to know how to nofollow and noindex the following pages:

/search

/cart

/{{url}}

Also I'm getting a 404 from this image

/{{img}}

Also I would like to know how to nofollow specific links in my footer, particularly everything but my blog link.

When checking keywords that show up on the page, the most common are these words that are from my drop down menus:

Expand Submenu Collapse      Submenu Collapse Submenu      Expand Submenu

I feel like these issues would affect my Shopify SEO and would like some direction towards fixed them.

I'm using Brooklyn theme by the way, thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

0 Likes
Alasdair_Walker
Shopify Partner
102 0 15

Hey Mattew,

Unfamiliar with SEO Centro, but I know already the information it is giving you is nonsense.

Don't know why you want to noindiex your search page? or nofollow it. 

Your cart is already blocking in your robot.txt file, as standard with Shopify, so don't worry about it, couldn't find the 404 you are talking about with the URL or the image, this may be the audit pulling some random stuff that isn't actually important. 

I would keep everything in your footer follow, no idea wy you want to nofollow those links. 

Nofollow means the site that you are pointing to you are aware that you are linking to it but don't want to give it credit, so when Google crawls your site you are saying "yeah this is my facebook! but I don't want you to trust it!" which makes no sense. 

I wouldn't get to worried about those key terms, audits like the one you have used always pull strange key terms for single, double and triple terms. I used to use one, for clients when i first started in SEO, and although some information was good, there was such random stuff for the keyword section. I do all my audit manually now. 

You used to be able to use content keyword in google webmaster tools, which was handy if you knew how to use it until they pulled it. 

As these issues you have pointed out, are irrelevant and will have zero effect on the SEO of your site. 

If I were you, I would be more interested in sorting out your canonicals to help with content indexing on Google. 

Put your website in webmaster tools, and find the faults that way, or get someone to audit it for you, audit tools don't really give any accurate data.

Hope that's helped you dude, 

All the best,

Alasdair

Ocean One SEO - Transforming Businesses - 1 to 1 Online Consulting Services Available. Check out the website for details.
0 Likes
matthew_gendron
Tourist
6 0 1

Thanks for the help. I want to nofollow some of my footer links because they show up as sitelinks when my website appears in search. I would prefer my collections to appear as sitelinks rather than my privacy policy and contact page.

0 Likes
Alasdair_Walker
Shopify Partner
102 0 15

It's kind of up to Google what they decide to show as your site links, you used to be able to demote links as well, but they also got rid of that feature. 

I used to have links showing up that I didn't want, but now after just leaving it up to Google I have the Pages I want showing, as they have become more trusted and valuable over the course of time. 

Your website is only a couple of months old, so Google is still sorting it out. 

Once you ping some links to your collections pages, then they will get more relevancy and you'll be good.

Ocean One SEO - Transforming Businesses - 1 to 1 Online Consulting Services Available. Check out the website for details.
matthew_gendron
Tourist
6 0 1

I'm no SEO expert but what you're saying makes sense. Thanks.

0 Likes