Shopify SEO URL not support other languages ?

You are now able to translate Shopify's slugs to many languages. I don't know what the limitations are right now if there are any.

However, if you have multiple stores, you will kick your SEO in the bum doing this because your hreflang tags will become an absolute mess leading to 404s. To solve this, you can use multi-store hreflang tags then map your stores together.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
CCJensen82
1 0 1

Hi Josh 

How do you mean that Shopify is now able to translate slugs to many languages? I have my Shopify site set to danish as primary language, but it doesn't translate the slugs to danish. E.g. collections in danish is "kollektioner" but Shopify makes my url in english "collections". Is it possible to change this, so that I can have danish urls? 

I'm using the GTranslate app, but they can't translate the original urls into danish. They will only be able to translate the original urls - if they were actually in danish - bilingually into e.g. english. 

Best, Christian

The "pages" and "collections" portion of the URL isn't translated. The URL handles after that can be. That is the poster's original question.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes

@CCJensen82, you are right, Shopify itself still doesn’t translate URLs. And you can’t translate such routs as “/collection/” “/product/“ and “/blog/“ because of Shopify structure.

However, you can visit Shopify App Store and find an app that connects the products/collections/pages/blogs/articles with different slugs between international stores.

@JohnHolmes, this might be useful for you. Such apps link the stores with hreflang tags. That will help you use the translations in slugs for each particular store, avoid penalties for duplicated content, and will be useful for SEO.

As Josh mentioned earlier, some apps may help you deal with the hreflangs. You can check the Hreflang Manager app that was created to resolve such struggles with SEO for international stores.

Founder at GenovaWebArt | info@genovawebart.com
0 Likes