Shopify and SEO

Shopify Partner
39 0 5

This topic does not seem to be mentioned much yet it is critical.

Since moving to Shopify our organic ratings have taken a dive. I was on Magento and moved recently. For years we had sat between 3-5 on the first page. Within 3 weeks we have dropped off the first page and yesterday a customer said that he had to look for us for the first time ever. Our dayly visits have slid down over the month

So -

1. Does Shopify pay attention to optimisation?
  2. Hosting in USA will affect UK positions - how can this be corrected? I trade only in Europe.
  3. Will my positions return?
  4. Is there a link to tell me how to get the best out of Shopify in SEO terms?
Definition of Rugby - Do your best to kill the opponent with the ball then buy him a beer afterwards.
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
7 0 1

Hi Paul, great questions. So a number of things can contribute to your fall in rankings.

1. Just a few days a go we know from the SEO world that Google has done some updates which will affect some websites. Here is a link to read more about it.

Just like every new website once you set it up you need to do some basic on-page optimizations, this will get your website ready for indexing. You might not be a new website, but moving to a new platform with different url structure than your previous one makes it look like a new store. Have you already audit your website? Here is a quick guide to help you with that.

2. Hosting in US should not really impact your ranking that much, once you are properly optimized, have some solid backlinks and social signals coming from your UK content related websites, you should be good. Once your content, blog post and descriptions talks about UK/Europe you should be fine.

3. Did you properly redirect your previous ranking links to your new website, you need to do a 301 redirect for them to help pass the SEO juice along to the new one. Without doing this you will end up giving those juice.

4. Check out this pdf document I prepared to help Shopify merchants improve their SEO.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
39 0 5

Thanks for replying - I will read your pdf.

Reply;-

1. We have had a presence since 2006. 
  2. Glad to hear that - I was concernmed.
  3. We have set up re-directs and will monitor crawl errors.
  4. Hopefully our postion will be restored in time.
Definition of Rugby - Do your best to kill the opponent with the ball then buy him a beer afterwards.
1 Like
Shopify Expert
7 0 1

Excellent.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
39 0 5

I've since been told I'm an idiot for moving away as Shopify is pants compared to Magento,

I copy one quote ".......you’ll struggle to find a Shopify site ranking nearly as well as Magento etc. The major brands that use it, such as Gym Shark dominate through social media etc."

Another person- "We have magento 1 and got sucked in to the ease of Shopify and was also told it works treats when it comes to SEO. I purchased a decent theme on shopify and had things live quite quickly - thankfully i also kept my magento store running (did not move it) - but started a new store on shopify."........."so in my experience - i couldn't get google to index my product pages via shopify which meant hardly any traffic coming through directly to the products. I pulled the plug on shopify. I don't think I would go back to it."

So - may I have some comments on whether Shopify is so terrible and will I recover? I have been trading online since 2006 and using M1 since 2012.

0 Likes
4 0 0

Its interesting that there is no reply to this. Is it because those comments where justified in that Magento just has better SEO?

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 1

Hi Paul, 

I think it is a good decision to shift to Shopify from Magento. In the long run you will have its benefits as shopify sure is a better platform to organize and optimise in  terms of SEO and general web development point of views. 

I am sure you will now find that the abcken of your website is a lot easier to handle now, always remeber that there is a reason that you changed to shopify from magento. 

The issues which you face now in terms of organictraffic must be duet to some problems that might have occured during the transition.  A detailed audit of your website might help to figure out the exact issue which is causing this. 

I am 100% sure its not about the shopify platform. I have worked with a lot of ecommerce websites and can tell you that shopify websites have its benefits interms of SEO. 

Shopify have a lot of Search Engine Optimization options, Shopify have built in SEO features to optimize your pages. Some SEO aspects are taken care of automatically: auto-generated canonical tags are added to pages to prevent duplicate content from appearing in search results, your website’s sitemap.xml and robots.txt files are automatically generated, and themes automatically generate title tags that include your store name. Also, themes are required to have social media linking and sharing options to make it easier for you to market your store.

Location of hosting IP is not the only parameter that determines your websites local rankings. It is not just the strongest of variables that determine local rankings. you can improve ranking in UK by getting good backlinks from UK based websites. There are many other factors that influence local SEO ranking. You can check various aspects of SEO for ecommerce websites here : https://www.globalmediainsight.com/seo-dubai

Your positions will return once you have figured and corrected the issue that caused this in the first place. Just share me your website address and I will do a quick SEO audit. The underlying issue might be technical, that have arised during the time of transition. 

Here is the official helps section to imporve SEO aspects of shopify stores.

https://help.shopify.com/manual/promoting-marketing/seo

You could learn how to use shopify features to add keywords, optimize your website structure, generate automatic xml stiemap, robots.txt and much more , form the above link

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 1

Hi Paul, 

I think it is a good decision to shift to Shopify from Magento. In the long run you will have its benefits as shopify sure is a better platform to organize and optimise in  terms of SEO and general web development point of views. 

I am sure you will now find that the abcken of your website is a lot easier to handle now, always remeber that there is a reason that you changed to shopify from magento. 

The issues which you face now in terms of organictraffic must be duet to some problems that might have occured during the transition.  A detailed audit of your website might help to figure out the exact issue which is causing this. 

I am 100% sure its not about the shopify platform. I have worked with a lot of ecommerce websites and can tell you that shopify websites have its benefits interms of SEO. 

Shopify have a lot of Search Engine Optimization options, Shopify have built in SEO features to optimize your pages. Some SEO aspects are taken care of automatically: auto-generated canonical tags are added to pages to prevent duplicate content from appearing in search results, your website’s sitemap.xml and robots.txt files are automatically generated, and themes automatically generate title tags that include your store name. Also, themes are required to have social media linking and sharing options to make it easier for you to market your store.

Location of hosting IP is not the only parameter that determines your websites local rankings. It is not just the strongest of variables that determine local rankings. you can improve ranking in UK by getting good backlinks from UK based websites. There are many other factors that influence local SEO ranking. See this page to find SEO activites that can improve rankings.

Your positions will return once you have figured and corrected the issue that caused this in the first place. Just share me your website address and I will do a quick SEO audit. The underlying issue might be technical, that have arised during the time of transition. 

Here is the official helps section to imporve SEO aspects of shopify stores.

https://help.shopify.com/manual/promoting-marketing/seo

You could learn how to use shopify features to add keywords, optimize your website structure, generate automatic xml stiemap, robots.txt and much more , form the above link

0 Likes
Excursionist
72 0 8

Hi All,

There's no specific platform that has better SEO than another. SEO is all content that's relevant to users. If anything, SEO for Shopify stores is easier because you have the benefit of using the Shopify App Store. There are a lot of awesome SEO apps you can use that will help your site become search engine friendly.

We wrote a really detailed guide on how to improve SEO specifically for Shopify stores. You can read it here: http://gopollen.com/shopify-seo-improvement/

Put your Facebook Ads on Autopilot - http://gopollen.com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
103 0 13

Shopify is ABSOLUTLEY perfect for SEO. 

You can control the 5 main areas you need to rank within Google, and that is all that really matters. 

I did this for client over a 6 month period, all organic, all Google, all Shopify. 

Have fun! 

Alasdair

Ocean One SEO - Transforming Businesses - 1 to 1 Online Consulting Services Available. Check out the website for details.
0 Likes