Shopify compatibility with Google Analytics gtags.js

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
44 0 6

Hi,

Just wondering if Shopify is compatible with gtag.js?

I notice that Shopify seems to do something fancy with the Google Analytics tracking js that is input and so wanted to double check that it would work the same.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

No news, just +1 for supporting this feature as soon as possible :)

This is getting more and more problematic as now even the latest "proper" Adwords integration requires "gtag" support - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7548399?hl=en

GTM is not a proper solution for standard (not Plus) Shopify plans, as we then lose tracking on the checkout pages or have duplicate tracking on all non-checkout pages (if we include the analytics both ways).

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

I am looking for the same information. I need to add google analytics for the first time but not sure what to do at this point after reading some of the comments on how shopify doesnt work with gtag.js.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
44 0 6

Can anyone from Shopify please shed light on this subject please?  

(Here is another topic related to this subject)

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Have you thought of alternatives - like the many apps Shopify offers - it is quite straightforward installation there?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
44 0 6

Hi Sofiya,

Can you recommend an app that handles gtag.js conversion tracking please?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Shopify's default analytics is not setup to work with gtag. Asia pacific leaders tell me there is no view to migrate to this implementation in the near future. A lot of analytics experts suggest it is unnecessary if your setup is currently working because gtag still uses the analytics.js library. However, given it is easier to implement events with gtag, you can send a global gtag code that does not push pageview data. (How? see the link below.) The cart pages will be a black hole though unless you're on Shopify Plus. Tag Manager is also just a better way to send events and manage such data.

To use gtag with AdWords conversion tracking, I have updated my Shopify AdWords guide that shows you how.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes