Shopify is losing billions of dollars.

Baloosey
Shopify Partner
29 0 2

I started my store in January, 20K + hits on one particular ad and very few sales in the first week......all from gut instinct targeting I was doing on facebook. ( Since then, I have begun studying Power Editor/ Ads Manager / Audience Insights and Google)....6 weeks later, things are looking a little better thanks to everyones' advice from my first post, but not enough to get by. Since that first post, I've been approached by many Shopify users, most decent people, yet a handful with heavy passive aggressive issues. Most of those who contact me are in the same boat, scrambling trying to find a way to make it work. Asking how I get my traffic........sure, I have traffic, but I still need sales. Still many merchants that contact me, need traffic as well as sales.

For merchants and those in the affiliate program as well, Shopify offers some info on the basics, but if they could give us the level of training to make those solid conversions, target marketing,etc...... imagine the return they would get on interest  alone and the heat the traffic would cause Shopify itself, there would be a substantial increase in conversions for the Affiliate program alone.

For example, in the affiliate program, I asked if I would be able to get a report on demographics for my handful of conversions and my 800+ link clickers, you know the basic info for the niche area I was working on ie: age, city, gender, placement/device, household income etc........I was told by the Affiliate 'guru' that Shopify did not have this kind of info??..........In Power Editor/ Ads Manager / Audience Insights etc, you can clearly see all of this data on your FB and Instagram ads......Unfortunately,when doing an affiliate ad, the only info available is the country the person is in.........Again, it would be awesome if Shopify could provide deeper training and analytics on conversions. It would be a win/win situation for Shopify and the merchants, and there is absolutely no reason why this type of training and data is not readily available.

My experience with Kit last week is a classic example of the 'level' of 'tools/training/support' that is available currently.....A guru told me last week to add KIT, they said they had seen such success from merchants using it. So I did, for 3 hours until I flipped out and deleted it. Kits idea of a target audience for a millenial style handbag, was 'women 18-65, ALL united states, with Interests including 'Bag, handbag'........WTF?? Gone! 

So........If Shopify can offer us more Free Training, but of a deeper, absolutely vital nature, we can achieve higher sales and Shopify will make oodles. Similarly with the Affiliate program, these are our conversions, therefore we should be allowed access to the analytics for each sale. If so, we can unleash deeper, more acurate targeting on a more willing market.  Until then, I guess we are stuck with youtube videos and blogs, whilst we throw our advertising $ to the wind.

dandelion3
Excursionist
97 0 8

My impression is that there are more people in the forum losing money than making money. One thing is that so many try to sell what is allready saturated like jewlery t-shirts and other cheap chinese.

But there are a lot of people with decent products struggling too. The problem is that shopify gurus are shopify gurus. I guess, but don't know that these are not people which are runnings stores. The training would have to come from people who are actually sucessful entrepreneurs. And usually the advice is very generic, it is mostly applicable but people who are selling homemade butter probably need someone who sells homemade ham rather than a shopify guru. Of coursse google works simialr for ham and for jewlery.

Baloosey
Shopify Partner
29 0 2

Great points.

0 Likes
Bob31
Explorer
141 0 28

@dandelion I second this point:

My impression is that there are more people in the forum losing money than making money.

I feel there is a lot of high level information about what it takes to start a store, but there's a certain depth that is lacking with a lot of the content/advice online. I'm working on putting together some training/guides that will hopefully address this, so if you have any specific, low level examples, that would be great. :)

Build & grow an ecommerce business that will help you reach your goals with my no bull, no hype, no pitch mini-guide: http://www.bobpotter.co/
0 Likes
Baloosey
Shopify Partner
29 0 2

Hey Bob,

Hopefully my previous comment is deleted. I really appreciate your comment and would love to know what you were thinking of, in terms of teaching etc. I apologize as well,  I'm still a little trigger happy due to my initial post and the subsequent responses. I remember you from there and found you had really sound and sage advice. I'm typing on my phone without reading glasses, so hope this makes sense. Again, many thanks. 

0 Likes
Bob31
Explorer
141 0 28

Not sure how to delete the post, so I'm updating this one...

Thanks so much for replying back and being so gracious Baloosey. ;)

Build & grow an ecommerce business that will help you reach your goals with my no bull, no hype, no pitch mini-guide: http://www.bobpotter.co/
0 Likes
Bob31
Explorer
141 0 28

I've seen a need for more low-level content...a guide that helps people work through foundational issues. For example, I see a lot of people setting up a store but not focusing on whether there is a need for the product (or how they will differentiate from the competition), what the niche market will be (i.e. a store for dog stuff is broad vs a store for pugs is narrow), what the story/brand message will be, and just overall how they will build trust so they can convert. So I guess, one part would be setting expectations, helping people make sure their heads aren't in the clouds and firmly planted in an action plan...a guide that will walk them through these things (sort of like a business plan).

And then from there, I envision goal oriented modules/guides for advertising, writing product descriptions, setting up abandoned cart emails, etc. that would start with a problem. For example, if too many people are abandoning their cart, it'd walk them through evaluating common issues (high shipping prices, asking for too much info in the checkout, it's a UK site, but too many people are coming from the US and don't want to order abroad, etc.) and then devising a plan and setting up and testing email triggers.

Anyway, that's kind of an overview of the stuff I'm working on.

Thanks again for writing back Baloosey and for being gracious. ;) 

dandelion3
Excursionist
97 0 8

Agree. And shopify gurus never comment on that. There are so many people opening jewllery shops or t-shirt shops. But even for those having unique products it is difficult to get off.

Baloosey
Shopify Partner
29 0 2

Hi Bob and Dandelion,

Sorry for the delayed response. You are very welcome Bob!!

I deceided to check out similar products to the ones I am selling in the mall today. I  found they were all 30% cheaper than my prices, which I know are cheaper than many other online stores prices yet again. Not to mention, in the mall a customer can have their purchase immediately and not after 6-8 weeks. It was an eye opener for sure. I already know Likes on FB do not translate in any way to purchases. It makes more sense now why so many people are focused on Niche products.

I gues it's time to reinvent the wheel, or move strictly over to affiliate marketing, which I have had more success with, after zero training and very little adspend. We will see. Same thing in the Affiliate camp though, there is no training, very little support, and oddly when you ask for demographics, stats etc, to better target your audience, they are not available. Hhmmm, it would be in the comapnies best interest to freely supply this info. 

0 Likes
Bob31
Explorer
141 0 28

I think you are on to something good by focusing on a niche. I've been trying to steer people toward niches through my comments, but it just feels that it is important to define your target, now more than even in the past few years.

It would be cool to see an update on your affiliate progress, Baloosey. Hope you'll keep us posted. ;)

0 Likes