Should I add my brand/ shop name to my product tags?

Solved
horisweetshop
Tourist
7 0 0

Does it make sense to put my store name into the tags on the product pages?  Does help or hurt SEO?  Or is it totally irrelevant and not something I should spend the time to do?

0 Likes
JasonC
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
393 72 185

Hey, there!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

It's awesome that you're thinking search engine optimization (SEO) while setting up your store. Kudos on taking on this initiative when you're setting up your store! This will ensure your store has a great marketing foundation.

The product tag feature in Shopify is solely for the product organization purposes. It helps you sort the right products into an automated collection you've created instead of having to do it manually. Here's a great resource on how the product tag works.

If you decide to have the product filter feature enabled in your store theme, by having product tags, it helps the customers visiting your store to filter out the products they want to see by brand (assuming you've set the product tags with brands). For additional information on how to set the product filter feature in your Shopify theme.

In sum, product tags have no impact on your store's SEO. I recommend you not putting your store name in the product tag section to save your time and effort.

Since you're looking for ways to increase your store's SEO, if you haven't done so, a tip for you is to verify your domain with third-party services. Once your domain is verified by Google, you need to submit your sitemap to them. One of the organic ways to improve your SEO is to create a blog on your site. By updating your blog content, it will encourage Google to crawl your sitemap. This, in turn, will improve your position on the ranking in the search engine.

How's your store going? Are you enjoying the setup process? If there’s anything else I can help you out with, don’t hesitate to reply back and I’d be happy to help out!

All the best,
Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
horisweetshop
Tourist
7 0 0
Thank you for the reply. I'm just now in the process of switching from a 7
year run on Etsy, where tags are the be all and end all of everything so
now knowing my tags on Shopify don't matter except for my own
organizational purposes is kind of surprising but also good to know as it
will save time on product addition.
The difference between the platforms is quite overwhelming at times, but
I'm slowly learning (I think)
0 Likes
JasonC
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
393 72 185

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, there!

No problem at all and welcome to Shopify! It's a big step to migrate from Etsy to Shopify. Since you've been with Etsy for seven years, it proves that you've built a solid business and definitely have an entrepreneur mindset. 

I understand the learning curve when first started using Shopify. It took me a while to figure out where everything was and how to connect features together in order to build a store. To help you speed up the learning process, I encourage you to check out Shopify Academy. It offers great free tutorials on topics such as how to set up your first Shopify store to how to design your store with zero experience. If you're crunched with time, feel free to sign up with one of our live webinars. The interactive approach can also help you with your store setup. 

Don't forget if you're at the end of your free trial period, you can pause your store. This method allows you to continue working on your store at a reduced cost of $14 USD instead of the regular plan prices. Keep in mind that when your store's in pause, the checkout function will be disabled until you upgrade back to a regular plan. 

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out here via this thread. I'd love to help you out! 

Best,

Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes