Showing Product information as Description in serps instead of SEO meta description

Fahaad
Tourist
7 0 0

Hi i want to show meta description in SERPS. But my store is not picking meta description what i put in SEO meta. It is showing product information from product page.

0 Likes
JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
1310 118 341

Search engines sometimes override your code and show what they think will be most effective.

So first, to make sure that's not the case, right click on your page and click "view source". Now you can see the code of the page as a search engine sees it.

Look for the <meta> tag with the attribute name="description".

That's what your meta description is.

If it is not showing your actual meta description, but instead product information, then you need to edit the code in your theme editor. It will likely be in theme.liquid or header.liquid.

To show the actual meta description, you'll want to use the {{ page_description }} variable. Reference: https://shopify.dev/docs/themes/liquid/reference/objects/page-description

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts, theme customization, custom app development).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders and customers + auto fulfillment + more automations).
More apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing), Tip Jar (add a tip button), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid).